It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micro-chipped ID Cards to be issued to Vatican Staff in wake of Vatileaks Scandal.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Source

Vatican clergy and employees will be issued with an identity card complete with a microchip-tracking device in sweeping new security measures designed to prevent a repeat of the Vatileaks Scandal

Much tighter controls have already been introduced for anyone seeking access or photocopies of the Holy See's archives, dossiers and documents.

Slovenian priest, Mitja Leskovar, an anti-espionage expert nicknamed 'Monsignor 007', is in charge of implementing the new security procedures with the identity cards expected to be introduced from January 1.

As a Catholic, I find it somewhat disappointing that the Vatican staffs every move will now be monitored - the level of trust within her walls appears to be diminishing rapidly - what are they hiding? The implementation of this new control measure has the hallmarks of a larger agenda.........

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi told The Daily Telegraph these kind of security measures had been talked about within the Vatican for years but declined to comment on any details and said he did not know the precise timing of the measures.

It will be interesting to determine who, other than Monsignor 007, has control of and access to the chips' information and exactly what measures will be put in place to monitor the card holders.

Thousands of clerical and lay staff working inside the walls of the Vatican from the Apostolic Palace to the Secretariat of State will be affected by the tighter scrutiny that will also enable their superiors to monitor when they clock in and out.

Once this new Microchipped ID card with its tracking technology (as God know what else) has the blessing of the Holy See, it opens up a whole new level of public acceptance of this degree of monitoring.

Chips exist in my Passport and in my credit-cards but not in my Drivers Licence (yet). What information do these chips contain and who really has access to them?

After all, if the Pope OK's it - its gotta be good right! RIGHT!

These just up on YT, interesting opinions surround this news already...............

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
All sounds good to me. These are the offices of a nation-state. Vatican City is a sovereign country dealing with highly sensitive and classified documents as a long-time player on the world stage. Documents which could, quite possibly, result in war or peace.

They've got a security problem, someone has been lifting the documents. The head of the nation-state says "Fix this." So they put in new security measures. Those include handing out chipped ID cards, which sound a lot like those which American school kids are getting.

What's the problem, again?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I agree and acknowledge that the Vatican is sitting on sensitive information / documentation. Vatileaks is relatively recent and the institution has survived for a very long time without the need to be this intrusive in peoples lives - it is a shame that it has come to this.

What's the problem, again?

Not so much a problem as a 'concern" I personally have.

Would the information gathered be able to be used against an innocent party? I think that placing this information into the hands of a few people may lead to corruption. Could false information be planted within the chip?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Dear Sublimecraft,

I agree completely. I don't know how it could be done, but the people in the Vatican are just that, people. They're all subject to temptation and some will fall to it. I can only hope that they put in enough safeguards to protect the innocent, but some years down the road, I'm pretty sure something like what you've envisioned will take place.

It may sound pessimistic, but there will always be some corruption everywhere.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for RFID Chip = Number of the Beast.

Edit: oops ... it's already done and did in one of the videos. *sigh*

Whatever the case, regardless of any of that:
In any institution, whether it's Business, Hospitals, Government, and such where there's controlled access to information, materials, etc, Information Security is key.

Too often institutions scrimp on their Information Security since done effectively it takes a fairly ominous chunk of Information Systems budgeting with no immediate benefit other than peace of mind over what-ifs.

As more and more institutions lag behind, or only pay marginal lip service to their Information Security, we'll likley see more and more scandals coming out of various governments, businesses, etc.

edit on 2-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Okay, you are Catholic so how can you have a problem with this?

Yes if the Pope says it is okay then it is okay.

Christ has promised to be with His Church until the end. Don't worry about it.

I would be more concerned about the modernized Catholics who think Satan and demons don't exist, and/or believe spiritism is compatible with Catholicism, and/or give more credibility to science and scholars than the Word and the Church's liturgy.... I would be much more concerned.

But then again, God is with His Church. My concerns would not be grounded in reality, and I do believe yours are not either. Have more faith in Christ, who is with His Church. Remember that ALL things work for your good, because you believe.
edit on 5-12-2012 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
While I agree that measures like this are seemingly intrusive to laypeople who aren't around such sensitive materials, I can see the logic in applying said measures here, As previously stated there are most certainly materials in the Vatican that could negatively affect the world political climate as well as ones that likely could severely damage the Catholic church itself if released. With information like that around, these security measures make sense. The vatican needs to protect the state secrets of other nations it undoubtedly has and protect it's own behind at the same time.

top topics

join