It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Children's Book: "The Night Dad Went to Jail"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

At first I thought this was a joke, but apparently its serious.

The Night Dad Went to Jail: What to Expect When Someone You Love Goes to Jail' follows a young rabbit as his father is arrested at their house in front of the neighbors and sentenced to six years in prison. It offers tips for dealing with the hardship of losing a parent for many years and an explanation of what to expect as a mother or father going through the legal process....The book follows young Sketch as he experiences confusion and even anger at his father being hauled away to jail. It also provides comprehensive footnotes for children to better understand what their locked-up loved ones are going through.

Source: Daily Mail

I guess its a good thing in a sense, in that young kids have to cope with this kind of thing somehow if it happens to them. I find it a bit bizzare and morbid however.

Its also a sad statement that this is part of the normal childhood experience for a growing number of kids.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Confusing and strange at first, the further i got down your post the more i came round to its necessity.

However a kids book should not replace a good explanation from a family member (esp the dad)

Nice find, sort of a bit sad its needed, books are written for profit however lets not forget that either.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KarensHoliday

They probably should put this book on the coffee table in the waiting room at Child Protective Services.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Its a sad commentary on the state of our country that a book like this is necessary.

The US has the highest rate of imprisonment in the world, with 743 people incarcerated for every 100,000 Americans. No other nation even comes close to these figures.

One explanation for the boom in the prison population is the mandatory sentencing imposed for drug offences and the "tough on crime" attitude that has prevailed since the 1980s.

But it is the length of sentences that truly distinguishes US prison policy. Some prisoners are locked up for life - literally - and many receive harsh sentences for non-violent crime.

These long sentences are leading to an ageing prison population - with eight per cent of prisoners now over the age of 55. This, in turn, is increasing the burden of providing healthcare and geriatric services.

Al Jazeera

As the police state grows, this will become required reading in Kindergarten before long.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Yup, you beat me too it. I was just getting ready to post that. There is (sadly) a market and a need for the book.

In addition to the stats you posted, One-third of young U.S. adults have been arrested: study

(Reuters Health) - Close to one in three teens and young adults get arrested by age 23, suggests a new study that finds more of them are being booked now than in the 1960s.

As laws get more strict and more and more things become crimes more get arrested.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
When I was a kid, we read (in school) a book about a kid who got crushed under a bookcase and survived to live the rest of his days as a horribly deformed person.

His deformaty? I hear you ask, was he was crushed flat, completely flat, flat enough to get under a door crack.

His name was Stanley, now forever known as Flat Stanley.

How times change huh.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

"Flat" used to be big deal!

Now all they need is "Jail House Barbie!" for when mommy get's busted for prostitution!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I like this book. But important thing here it is not available for kindle. It is somewhat disappointing. My 5 years old grandson love kids book which contain a lot of pictures along with interesting story. When I was searching on Amazon.com I got a very good book name Samuel and the Pirates which is available for Kindle also. It is simply amazing and my grandson always enjoy reading this book when we go for a drive in my car. Here is the link for the book for your kid.www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355873677&sr=8-1&keywords=samuel+and+the+pirates

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Hahaha would that book be called "whos my daddy?"

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ever hear of Frozen Charlotte? I have my grandmas Charlotte doll in my curio.. macabre.

Anyway, we were talking about childrens books the other day.. here are some that are pretty awful. Life is sometimes ugly I guess.

Just google some of these.. yikes.
Visiting Day
Hiroshima No Pika
The House That Crack Built
Daddy Hopes He Has Enough Rope in the Trunk

new topics

top topics

join