It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Megawatts Underneath the Space Shuttle Launch Pad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I've heard something about a large electromagnet placed under the space shuttle, and another inside the shuttle, helping to launch into space without wasting as much fuel.
This works by adding a bit of thrust, if that's what you want to call it, by placing two large magnets with either both north or south facing eachother, then pumping an unspeakable amount of juice through them.

Has anyone else heard about this, and even though the "old" space shuttle might be retired, is NASA going to integrate it into the replacement?

[edit on 10/22/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Where have you read or heard of this?

I would think it would be highly unlikey, given the damage large magnets would do to computer systems on board the shuttle. And the benefit from a large electro magnet would dissapear after the shuttle lifted off the pad just a few dozen feet.

But if you have some info on this, I'd be glad to read it.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I tend to agree with sensfan, as magnetism obeys the inverse square law and would rapidly loose its effectiveness. The closest thing I can think to what you may have hearrd, is NASA's proposal to use mag-lev for launching purposes.

edit:

Oh and such a field would play hell on all of the avionics. It's tough to control an inverted pendulmn as is, without producing such a field!

[edit on 22-10-2004 by AeroSpace Case]

E_T

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
I would think it would be highly unlikey, given the damage large magnets would do to computer systems on board the shuttle.

And without even thinking size and weight of magnet required for that.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Sorry guys, no link.

I read it from a magazine at the library, and I can't even remember which one. I aggree that the magnetic field would definately mess up, if not destroy, the computers on board.

What I think would be a more practical solution (though not exactly the best) would be to have a large balloon filled with helium attatched to the nose to lighten the load by a few hundred pounds. But, when you think about it, the balloon would have to be monsterous, would go slower than the shuttle itself, would rupture when high in the atmosphere, and 300 pounds is hardly anything in these terms. ...maybe it's not a great idea afterall...

I'll check up on which magazine it was if you're interested, and I'll try to get back to you on Mon. or Tues.

new topics

top topics

join