It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: "Why I Don't Run As An Independent"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Here is his answer: "[I didn't consider running as an independent because] it is absolutely not practical. This would have been a good year to have an alternative and you can't get much of a showing either on the libertarian side or the green side".... the Republican and Democratics "parties are going to linger because they are locked in by law. The laws are biased against us from competing." So how does one change the two-party system? "You go to the campuses. You rally the young people. You stir up a whole generation of people. Ideas do have consequences and that's where the good news is because the campuses are alive and well with these views and they know the system is bankrupt. And there is this illusion that you can spend endlessly and print endlessly and there will always be credit out there. And so far, so good, but credit can end quickly, the dollar can crash quickly and a new system will have to be developed."

Source
His answer starts at about 4:00 in.

So, is this just another excuse from a politician, a cop out? Or just an old man who has served his time and is stepping aside to let the younger generations take over?

Personally, I think he has done more than anyone else to fight the absurdity that is our federal government. And the system is rigged against us from both sides. I'm still on the fence about his son though, I don't think we should be playing ball with the Republicans or the Democrats anymore.
I guess we will just have to wait and see how things shape up over the next 10 years or so.

But I don't think it's looking very good.
edit on 2-12-2012 by watchitburn because: Added Source.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I heard somewhere that if a 3rd Party gets 6% of the popular vote, then the next cycle it can be funded just like the main 2 parties.

If that's true I consider this a total cop-out by Ron Paul. He could have changed politics forever if he would have ran independent this year because I think he would have easily gotten 6% of the vote, and probably more.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

I believe it was 5%
But yes, the hope was that Gary Johnson would have gotten 5% of the popular vote. That would have given the Libertarian Party, I think somewhere along the lines of $60 million in federal funding for the 2016 elections.

Johnson ended up with

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Exactly. This was the last chance he had to make a change, and it was all in or nothing. He doesn't need to be making excuses, he gave people a chance to vote him in, but the masses of sleeping sheeple passed up that chance and instead chose to continue on with the same old status quo nonsense. It's their own fault. Running as an independent wouldn't have helped anything, and would have only made his chances of success this time all that much more unreachable.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
one of the reasons ron paul probably stayed republican was he knows he'll get the exposure and at least the opportunity to be noticed. people who barely care at least heard his name.

gary johnson was not a household name so of course he wasnt going to get the percentage needed. decent showing, but well under.

remember ross perots 18.9% popular vote win in 1992? no electoral votes of course. but a lot had to do with is financial ability to expose himself. but also, remember where his reform party is? don't worry, no one else does either.
edit on 12/2/2012 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Ron Paul running as a Republican rather than an Independent was an error on his part.

In a time when Americans are SICK AND TIRED of BOTH republicans and democrats, he would have given himself a definite advantage by NOT being associated with EITHER of them parties.

Plus, if he were Independent, he wouldnt have been completely CHEATED and SNUBBED out by the Romney/Republican establishment. They were like MOBSTERS in their actions against Ron Paul. NOBODY in America should EVER support the Republican party again after their DISGRACEFUL TACTICS and UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR this election!!

A bad error on his part. A bad choice no matter what he says.

edit on 2-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

While you make a good point, Gary Johnson faced similar shenanigans from Mitten's and Obama's cohorts who were running the polls and voting stations.

We can go back and forth all day about whether or not he should have ran independent. But when it all boils down, he did what he thought was best. We will all just have to move on and see what we can do next time.

new topics

top topics

join