It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22LR ammunition physical comparison.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This is a lineup of various brands and types of 22LR ammunition that I have on hand so people can see the variation in bullet forms, head stamps, and visual construction quality.

It will give people a better idea of what to they will see in the box before they actually go out and buy a particular type of round.

From top to bottom
1960’s Remington 40G 1145FPS RN
Sears 40G RN Xtra range
PMC 40G 1255FPS JRN
Rem 36G 1280FPS JHP Golden bullet
Rem 33G 1500FPS JHP Yellow jacket
Rem 40G 1255FPS RN Thunderbolt.
Rem 36G 1280FPS HP Cyclone
Aguila 40G 1135FPS RN Standard velocity.
Aguila 40G 1250FPS JRN High velocity
Aguila 30G 1750FPS JRN Hyper velocity
Centurion 38G 1280FPS HP
ELEY 40G 1085FPS RN Sport
Armscor 40G 1135FPS RN
Armscor 36G 1260FPS HP
Win 40G 1255 RN Wildcat
Win 40G 1300FPS JRN Super speed
Win 40G 1255FPS JRN M22
Win 36G 1280FPS JHP 555Rd
Win 40G 1150FPS JHP Target
Fed 36G 1260FPS JHP 550Rd
Fed 40G 1240FPS RN lighting
AE Fed 40G 1240FPS RN American Eagle.
Blazer 40G 1235FPS RN
CCI 32G 1640FPS JHP Stinger
CCI 36G 1260FPS JHP mini mag
CCI 40G 1070FPS RN

Bullet end view, side view, head end view.

edit on 2-12-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

3rd from bottom. This one looks the nicest to me. Is it?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
don't hollow points create more drag, therefore less range and power.

i'd figure for .22 you'd want it to keep going as fast as possible for as long as possible, keeping as much power possible.

if i had to choose one i'd choose 9 from the top. it looks like the most stable and accurate.

edit on 2-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato

If you are hunting a small pest at close range, and want to see it “explode” Then it’s for you. But if you are hunting something small at longer range, and want to actually harvest it for meat or fur, then NO. Of if you are hunting something larger, then again, NO.

It’s high velocity makes it’s long range accuracy very poor.
It’s high speed makes the small animal you shoot “explode” so there will be no meat left to harvest.
If you shoot a larger animal, then it will fragment before it penetrates very deep.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Originally posted by Socrato

If you are hunting a small pest at close range, and want to see it “explode” Then it’s for you. But if you are hunting something small at longer range, and want to actually harvest it for meat or fur, then NO. Of if you are hunting something larger, then again, NO.

It’s high velocity makes it’s long range accuracy very poor.
It’s high speed makes the small animal you shoot “explode” so there will be no meat left to harvest.
If you shoot a larger animal, then it will fragment before it penetrates very deep.

Wow, very informative. Looks like I need to buy some different 22LRs then. I keep that rifle and ammo for squirrel or cat hunting in case of an economic collapse and I have about 500 rounds very similar to that one.
edit on 2-12-2012 by Socrato because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I used to use 'Stinger', at the time there was another similar, 'Expeditor' I think

Are those still around. If you placed your shots you could bring down a roo.

P

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
You should give the Aguila Ammunition a try, specifically the Sniper sub sonic.

It is a heavy 60 grain bullet that runs 950 fps. and has 120 ft. lbs. of energy.

It is a quiet round to shoot and hits hard but is only for closer ranges and drops fast at distance.

It works very well for small game & pests.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

.22lr is an awesome round.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Well.. which do you consider best all around. I've never cared too much or tried too many different types. I just bought 550 boxes of remington, and some remingtong thunderbolt. I just target practice so I don't see many exploding pests.

Also, I found an old mixed bag of 22 ammo at my great aunts when we were emptying her building. Your picture actually answered most of them, but one I didn't see, do you know a round with HP on it?
I could look it up, but you seem to know them, and I am in no hurry to learn. It is a hollow point.. so maybe that answers the question, but I kinda doubted it.
edit on 2-12-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

There is not really one best all around round.
If anything, there is a pair of best all around rounds.
And pretty much all manufactures produce both rounds.

40 grain high velocity round nose. For deep penetration of larger animals.
Examples are Remington thunderbolt, Winchester wildcat, Federal lighting, CCI blazer.

36 to 38 grain high velocity hollow point. For massive shock, and shallower penetration of smaller animals.
Examples are Remington cyclone, Winchester and federal bulk packs, CCI mini mag.

Get plenty of both, and you are good to go.

Copper plated is nice for plinking ammo. It helps reduce fouling. But it is inconsequential for hunting ammo because of the limited shot count.

In regard to the HP headstamp. Depending on the design, it is either a federal “High Power”, or Hirtenberger.
If you are in the US, I would say you most likely have federal HP rounds.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I haven't been a shooter in several years but of the list, I have tried many. My top two on the list were... #2 the Yellow jacket but number one by far on expansion was the CCI Stinger...loved that round.

Some of those I have not tried so I can only say my personal experiences.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I find that each .22 rifle has a certain ammo it likes and other it doesn't. Some are more often "liked than others,but you never know till you test.

Hollow points are largely useless on .22's,as very few are wide/deep enough to actually expand,especially as ranges get a little longer and it's already low velocity falls off. Stingers have never shot well for me in any .22,ranging from barely acceptable to utterly useless. I find CCI's Velocitor is superior,slightly heavier slug but still good speed.I've actually taken a couple coyote's with them,although I would't recommend a .22 for coyote's.
There is a too called Paco Kelly's Accu'rizer that allows you to reshape the nose of the bullet in several different ways,from deep wide hollowpoints to wide,flat dished points. I tested tehse rounds extensively and they are indeed superior to factory in every way.The only issue is if you go too wide/flat,you'll have problems with feeding.

I tested them in wet phone books,and the results ere somewhat surpriseing.Factory ammo barely deformend,and penetration was just barely ahead of the deep hollopoint.This was partly due to it not penetrating straight,but rather veering off somewhat.
The modified deep hollowpoint pentrated straight,showed some expansion and went almost as deep as the factory profile,within an inch or so.
The winner was the wide dished flatpoint,easily outpenetrating the others,and tracking straight.I found it worked very well on gophers too,resulting in far more on the spot kills than any factory round I tried.

The .22 is never going to be flat-shooting,so I wouldn't worry too much about the affects of the nose profile on trajectory. Shoot whatever is most accurate and feeds well in your particular firearm.Being able to place your shot precicely will be more important than which particular bullet you are shooting,especially if your shooting game to which the .22 is properly suited.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have a couple of .22's for plinking. My parents always hyped the 22 as being just as good as any other round, but I have to disagree. Shot placement is crucial with a .22 if you are doing any hunting with it, and even then it can be dodgy. Seen a lot of animals hit with .22 bullets over the years, and never seen any explode short of a .223 type varmint round.

I would not carry one for personal defense as I have a old friend who is walking the earth with ten pock marks in his face and neck from point blank range and he is still here to tell the tale.

On a more positive note I knew a guy who poached game year round with a 22 by taking headshots. He brought down animals as big as an elk with a 22 rifle. IMHO this is not responsible hunting and can result in a wounded animal that can still run far enough to get away from you despite the blood trail.

Fun as hell to plink with though and I love my ruger 10/22's as much as any of em.
Peace...
edit on 2-12-2012 by Coopdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Looks like you reached under my truck seat and grabbed a handful of junk. I think half of those are under there.
edit on 2-12-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I have used Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic. in a number of long barreled 22 rifles for indoor shooting.

I also keep a couple bricks on hand for after TSHTF for hunting small game without giving away that i am in the area.

They sound like a pellet gun being fired and the sound does not travel far.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

You can fish with 22 as well. My cousin used to throw bread out to get blue gill to the surface and then pop them in the head. They just roll over and then you scoop them up. You have to be a good shot because the head is the only part that puts itself close enough to the surface, but it seriously works.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
CCI's are the cleanest and best you can buy for the money.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I tried the Aguila SSS round and they would keyhole at about 25 yards...maybe in a different twist rate they would shoot alright, but in my older stevens tube fed I couldn't get any accuracy. I always wanted to try the Aguila 30gr hyper velocity round as my rifle shot the CCI Stingers with great accuracy
edit on 12/15/2012 by AnonymousMoose because: its 2am, leave me alone

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
double post...
edit on 12/15/2012 by AnonymousMoose because: (no reason given)

top topics

join