It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman builds DIY home for less than $3500

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Its a good idea for a "club house" but a STUPID idea for a place to call HOME.

Maybe she realizes that too since she plans to rent it out per the video.

For anyone who CAN AFFORD to live in a cheap apartment or a small home, but instead CHOOSES this option, well, then its fairly reasonable to assume that such a person may be a bit "off" in the brain department.

LIFE IS TOO DAMN SHORT to live in a "shoe-box" .

edit on 2-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

no building experience equals in most cases disaster....luckily it's a small structure but all you hippies out there read up on some basic building before you attempt something on a grander scale...but to give some credit to the OP it is under the Survival section and not the life styles of the rich and famous so I get the point and thanks...
edit on 2-12-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
Its a good idea for a "club house" but a STUPID idea for a place to call HOME.

Maybe she realizes that too since she plans to rent it out per the video.

For anyone who CAN AFFORD to live in a cheap apartment or a small home, but instead CHOOSES this option, well, then its fairly reasonable to assume that such a person may be a bit "off" in the brain department.

LIFE IS TOO DAMN SHORT to live in a "shoe-box" .

edit on 2-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

some people don't need or care for more. some people have more fulfilling lifestyles living a busy social or work life and a "home" is just basically a base to sleep, shower, change clothes and get on with the day. you how many people probably pay huge rents just to stay in their apartment maybe 3 nights a week?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If you can afford to drive a car or truck you can save the money and buy a used camper
for under 3500, Think of all the fuel she spent searching for all the equipment and supplies.
and she has obviously contracted someone to help her... money wise.. not realistic
edit on 2-12-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This seems to me no different than living in a camper. I lived in one for three years, and I only paid $250 for it. It was a little rough, but I found some free stuff and made it my own. I didnt have electricity, but I had running water. (I had it set up at a local park). I wasn't homeless, this was my home. I worked 16 hours a day at a factory, and all I needed was a place to rest for about 6 hours before going to work.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Was that a human spine hanging on the wall? Creepy choice of decor. I would have gone with ear necklaces myself.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Great idea. More roomthan a camper. And mobile. So many people moving around for jobs.

running with the wolves

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

People stand up and complain all the time. The issue is what it is exactly that they are complaining about. People complain about trivial things in most cases (specifically in industrialized countries). I'm sure you're referring to people complaining about real issues that affect liberties and freedoms, but another topic that I have seen on these forums Here has some decent answers regarding the frivolous things that 1st worlders whine about.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by InTheLight
reply to post by jude11

Reminds me of the little house on the Prairie. Cool.

Good for one person but a family?

Gotta build a few and connect them. One for each member. 5 members x 3500 = 17,500.

For a home, not bad!

Peace

I've been posting that a few times. Build the biggest home on wheels you can pull, and then you have a choice, you could for many, have two equal lenghts, a smaller one, and create a U with a greenhouse in the middle to the back, OR cluster a few close together, and have half a one butted up at the back.

I've been thinking this way because if we do a get chance for land, portable homes, are legal, you can have friends and family. And its far more affordable.

One piece of land, say 80 000-120 000 if you were willing to move. One house, 300 000 to build brand new.. My grandmothers was close to that to build and it was small, she had to take out the loft and redesign it after she subdivided.

You could have a large yurt or cob home,slowly built as a commercial kitchen, large laundry and overflow for guests, and nestle lots of smaller place.

She built hers with recycled wood. Other alternatives are: take an old trailer, and extend the frame and use alternative building materials. Cob, Hemp-Lime, Paper Crete or Paper Mache (mixture sand, clay or mineral, long fibred like hemp and recycle paper), temporarily could use one thing interior and waterproof arctic tenting fabric on the outside.

www.instructables.com...

Tin can roof shingles. If its really rainy. Though I've seen them distressed and made more like Mexican tiles.

Tons of ideas.

Aquaponics, and workshops for wood working, electronics, building generators, all sorts of businesses.

I really wish people would get together in their local towns and form coucils and watchdog their local politiicans, and ensure Land Can Be Set Aside for homeless and those in need.

Eco farms for troubled teens, for those in the ministry.

But I really don't understand those with a big house in the city, and family/friends, why they don't sell it and set up something like this, and take back the night.

If I had a property that would sell for 700 000, I'd buy 2 pieces of land and look for others in auction and set them up for family and friends and those in need and start local needed businesses, food, teach youths many skills. Create abundance and flow it out to others.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think you may buy an old caravan for less.
Using some type of containers is imo better solution.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

to see here:
thechive.com... -built-out-of-two-shipping-containers-39-photos/

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is what I'd set up for family/friends, the kids in ministry that keep showing up and hanging out with the one who they were going to send to Vancouver, he would have ended up on the streets probably, so we let him stay and reshufled furniture. I would not build large homes, but provide alternative living and land, businesses for everyone I could in need.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Reminds me of a club house the neighborhood kids, my brothers and I built when we were young. it didn't look as good as this ladies 'house' but the material was free.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I like it.

Drew up plans for similar myself a few years back, but never bought them to fruition.

Biggest problem with that kind of structure is making sure the siding and shingles are good, and putting a vapour barrier in. After that it needs some sheet insulation and making airtight.

My ultimate plan is to build the house I'm going to retire in myself. Will be a fun project whem I'm in my 50's

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
not really too impressed i thought it was going to be an actual house. hell at 3500 you can usually find a older trailer type and just refurbish it lol. but hey kudos for getting out and doing something though ^^

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The permits in Ca and the inspections would do you in...permits would cost more then the building.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by InTheLight
reply to post by jude11

Reminds me of the little house on the Prairie. Cool.

Good for one person but a family?

Gotta build a few and connect them. One for each member. 5 members x 3500 = 17,500.

For a home, not bad!

Peace

I've been posting that a few times. Build the biggest home on wheels you can pull, and then you have a choice, you could for many, have two equal lenghts, a smaller one, and create a U with a greenhouse in the middle to the back, OR cluster a few close together, and have half a one butted up at the back.

I've been thinking this way because if we do a get chance for land, portable homes, are legal, you can have friends and family. And its far more affordable.

One piece of land, say 80 000-120 000 if you were willing to move. One house, 300 000 to build brand new.. My grandmothers was close to that to build and it was small, she had to take out the loft and redesign it after she subdivided.

You could have a large yurt or cob home,slowly built as a commercial kitchen, large laundry and overflow for guests, and nestle lots of smaller place.

She built hers with recycled wood. Other alternatives are: take an old trailer, and extend the frame and use alternative building materials. Cob, Hemp-Lime, Paper Crete or Paper Mache (mixture sand, clay or mineral, long fibred like hemp and recycle paper), temporarily could use one thing interior and waterproof arctic tenting fabric on the outside.

www.instructables.com...

Tin can roof shingles. If its really rainy. Though I've seen them distressed and made more like Mexican tiles.

Tons of ideas.

Aquaponics, and workshops for wood working, electronics, building generators, all sorts of businesses.

I really wish people would get together in their local towns and form coucils and watchdog their local politiicans, and ensure Land Can Be Set Aside for homeless and those in need.

Eco farms for troubled teens, for those in the ministry.

But I really don't understand those with a big house in the city, and family/friends, why they don't sell it and set up something like this, and take back the night.

If I had a property that would sell for 700 000, I'd buy 2 pieces of land and look for others in auction and set them up for family and friends and those in need and start local needed businesses, food, teach youths many skills. Create abundance and flow it out to others.

Portable homes = travel trailers and mobile homes. Used ones are very cheap, cheaper then what she built and the electric and plumbing are approved so no hassle.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

I thought the Santa Clara county people make a hobby of red tagging buildings that weren't up to code. Up until recently the red tag was permanent and the building inspector could revisit you any time he wanted, even after the violation was fixed.

Thus I wouldn't build a shed-building anywhere in central california.

That's right.

Because the PTB do not like the sheep getting out of their pens and thinking outside the box. It makes the sheep-hearders nervous.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
What about owning land? And, what about the first real strong thunderstorm with high winds? 3500 down the drain...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Many haters.

I subscribed to kirstendirksen youtube page a couple of years ago - all of the stuff they put up are amazing and resourceful. This lady's home is a fine example of what one can do with a little motivation and some cash. True this home isn't suited for a family of 4, but there are other examples on the kirstendirksen channel where they do similar things.

A few posts about building codes and whatnot - she built the unit to legal specs for her area. I'm sure she'll place it in an area where it is allowed. Now the method she uses won't work for every area - it is what she did for her area.

Well it is true that she could have bought a used camper for the same price (with power and water hookups, working AC, kitchen, etc.) she chose to build something with her hands, which for some reason is taboo.

I'm sure she can take what she learnt building this home and implement it into a regulation size house.

S&F for a wonderful topic.

-CN

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I think what was missed here was the parity of what 3500.00 would build you now versus the picture of what the old book showed could be built for 3500.00. That is truly sad. This is brought to us as a good thing? It's a Hovel. No thank you...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join