It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History of Doomsday & Apocalypse FAILURES

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+45 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This morning I made myself a pot of coffee, answered some emails and then decided to head over here to ATS and see the latest in what ATS members thought of the world and events around us where I read a thread which posted a story from RT about how some in Russia were freaking out over the impending 2012 calamity.

So, I decided to educate myself further on the topic and the latest over in the 2012 Doom and Gloom forum, Excuse me. I'm sorry, the now revered , Sorry again, I mean the now referred to "2012 Ascension" forum and remembered a class I was in many moons ago about an unrelated topic in history where one of my teachers spoke of how back in the year 1000 A.D. people were convinced that the Apocalypse was upon them.

So I started doing a little digging and came upon this short page with some general but informative information of many previous "Events" in history. It runs form 2800 BC - Present. I thought I'd post some of the lesser known highlights and see what some of you think of those and of how we in this supposedly "Modern Sophisticated and Technologically Savvy era" have been demonstrating our vast and impressive [If only to ourselves] advancements in reasoning and understanding of ourselves and the world around us with regards to this latest craze....

A Brief History of the Apocalypse

634 BC
Apocalyptic thinking gripped many ancient cultures, including the Romans. Early in Rome's history, many Romans feared that the city would be destroyed in the 120th year of its founding. There was a myth that 12 eagles had revealed to Romulus a mystical number representing the lifetime of Rome, and some early Romans hypothesized that each eagle represented 10 years. The Roman calendar was counted from the founding of Rome, 1 AUC (ab urbe condita) being 753 BC. Thus 120 AUC is 634 BC. (Thompson p.19)

500 AD
Roman theologian Sextus Julius Africanus (ca. 160-240) claimed that the End would occur 6000 years after the Creation. He assumed that there were 5531 years between the Creation and the Resurrection, and thus expected the Second Coming to take place no later than 500 AD. (Kyle p.37, McIver #21) Hippolytus (died ca. 236), believing that Christ would return 6000 years after the Creation, anticipated the Parousia in 500 AD. (Abanes p.283) The theologian Irenaeus, influenced by Hippolytus's writings, also saw 500 as the year of the Second Coming. (Abanes p.283, McIver #15)

Mar 25, 970 AD
Lotharingian computists foresaw the End on Friday, March 25, 970, when the Annunciation and Good Friday fell on the same day. They believed that it was on this day that Adam was created, Isaac was sacrificed, the Red Sea was parted, Jesus was conceived, and Jesus was crucified. Therefore, it naturally followed that the End must occur on this day!

1000 AD
There are many stories of apocalyptic paranoia around the year 1000. For example, legend has it that a "panic terror" gripped Europe in the years and months before this date. However, scholars disagree on which stories are genuine, whether millennial expectations at this time were any greater than usual, or whether ordinary people were even aware of what year it was. An excellent article on Y1K apocalyptic expectations can be found at the Center for Millennial Studies. (Gould, Schwartz, Randi)

1033 AD
After Jesus failed to return in 1000, some mystics pushed the date of the End to the thousandth anniversary of the Crucifixion. The writings of the Burgundian monk Radulfus Glaber described a rash of millennial paranoia during the period from 1000-1033. (Kyle p.39, Abanes p.337, McIver #50)

Feb 1, 1524 AD
The End would occur by a flood starting in London on February 1 (Julian), according to calculations some London astrologers made the previous June. Around 20,000 people abandoned their homes, and a clergyman stockpiled food and water in a fortress he built. (Sound familiar? It's just like the doomsday cultists and Y2K nuts of today!) As it happened, it didn't even rain in London on that date. (Randi p.236-237)

I hope I'm wrong here but I have an unshakable feeling of dread that as this certain new mystical date finally arrives there will unfortunately and undoubtedly be stories breaking of those who drank the Kool-Aid and / or were found dead by whatever creative means they could dream up while dressed all in black and wearing their favorite pair of Nike.

Thoughts?
edit on 1-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/12/12 by JAK because: Code Test

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I always wonder what people thought when the S was really hitting the F. Just recently when nearly 50 million died in China during the famine*.

What about the Spanish Flu around WW1* where another 20-50 million people died?

The black plague anyone?*, 75-200 million people when the entire population of the Earth wasn't even close to what it is now?

You think the world looks like it's in shambles now, like it's about to end, what about then??

The same people that hope for the world to end are just seeking attention in my opinion. When faced with real problems like the ones I listed they would probably not mention a word because they would be scared out of their wits.

Attention seekers... Charlatans... Weirdos looking to start cults. The end of the world is a never ending drama of ignorance.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The day will come when folks get sick of hearing about an apocalypse of any sort coming from anywhere. Thats when the freek show will start.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I always wonder what people thought when the S was really hitting the F. Just recently when nearly 50 million died in China during the famine*.

What about the Spanish Flu around WW1* where another 20-50 million people died?

The black plague anyone?*, 75-200 million people when the entire population of the Earth wasn't even close to what it is now?

You think the world looks like it's in shambles now, like it's about to end, what about then??

The same people that hope for the world to end are just seeking attention in my opinion. When faced with real problems like the ones I listed they would probably not mention a word because they would be scared out of their wits.

Attention seekers... Charlatans... Weirdos looking to start cults. The end of the world is a never ending drama of ignorance.

I believe, the way that people of these traumatic times reacted was of acceptance.

What was happening was out of their control, so they just had to deal with it. Have you ever seen animals in the wild? When the prey gets caught it generally gives up the ghost.

When we are faced with such a situation, I believe we will react accordingly. We would firstly panic and then accept our new reality of not being in control.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
. . . . . . .
I hope I'm wrong here but I have an unshakable feeling of dread that as this certain new mystical date finally arrives there will unfortunately and undoubtedly be stories breaking of those who drank the Kool-Aid or dressed up all in black while wearing in their favorite pair of Nike.

Thoughts?

I started a thread a while back asking that question and was concerned.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why are humans such fatalists? Why our history of doom? Is it genetic? Have we experienced great doom in the past?

It seems that we are culturally adhered to doom.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The Black Plaque would have had to feel like the Apocalypse to those living (esp in Europe) at the time.....1/3 of Europe perished and the black plaque lends itself to the "black horseman" imagery.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would say that since the inception of entities attempting to institutionalize the masses, this concept of fatalism you have alluded to has become more and more prevalent.

What better way to ensure control and obedience.

These entities can be anything, religion being the first that comes to mind, second would be government.

Fear guarantees people seek the assistance and guidance from these organizations.

I would say its been social manipulation for thousands of years.

**God will punish you if you disobey our rules and guidelines

**law enforcement will punish you if you don't follow our rules to stay safe.

**those who are different from you look to kill and dominate you, trust in us for your protection.

Common rhetoric I have seen present throughout history.

This ties back into doomsday via people now a days taking uncertain events and invariable information to heart and automatically assuming negative outcomes is the most likely result. I feel we have been conditioned to be pessimistic about almost everything.
edit on 1-12-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've been looking through the top threads on each forum today, and this one came to mind when reading the OP here:

Mr. Wendel- My plea to ATS...

It goes through a bunch of threads that predict imminent doom, and how they failed in hindsight. Yet, when ethese threads come up they are inevitable some of the most popular on the site.

2012 is a little more coherent than a lot of our doom flops, but it is still largely baseless.

Another thread that I read through was Skyfloating's 2012 Mass Delusion.

I've never really bought into the 2012 apocalypse, other than a few pangs of panic when something in the world seems to point to a rough road coming.

Clearly, 2012 has become so ingrained in the psychology of many that any negativity in the world is automatically distorted to fit a preconcieved notion that is by and large a media-driven myth.

ETA: It's also worth considering that the entire 2012 mythology may end up having as much a positive effect on lives as negative...well maybe not as much...but for every person that takes the doom so literally that they act rashly with violence toward others or themselves, there will be many who too the ascension talk literally to the point of remaking their lives in a disciplined fashion.

Aside from the fringe on both sides of doom/ascension, the larger impact will probably be an increase in general fear...because aside from the focus being on the date, EVERYONE is now aware of the possible doom scenarios...comets, volcanoes, earthquakes, solar flares etc. will still be a threat in 2013.
edit on 12/1/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Nice reply!

So social engineering since Gog and Magog?

Are we that gulable as a species??

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by boncho

The Black Plaque would have had to feel like the Apocalypse to those living (esp in Europe) at the time.....1/3 of Europe perished and the black plaque lends itself to the "black horseman" imagery.

And yet, it waas a blessing in disguise. First, those left grew rich(er) because of inheriting the land and possessions of the dead. Immediately after the Black Plague was a time of relative prosperity. Second, the clothes of the dead were a primary ingredient of paper, and since there was so much material, paper was cheaper. The printing press had just been invented, so the combination of the press and cheap paper fueled the Renaissance and change dthe world.

Kind of like the Rapture. If it happens, I get a new car!

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Secretly people want the world to end. To free them from bondage and slavery and their miserable exsistance. The thought of Apoccylipse gives them a sense of freedom , free from guilt as the event is an act of god.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Are their lives that miserable?
I'm not trying to argue but really? Most of those who are hoping for the end are able to express themselves freely online.

That tells me....

They have Electricity to run their equipment.
They have the Equipment to post
They have freedom to express themselves.

Which leads me to believe they probably have a place to live or stay from which to express themselves online and if they have electricity they probably have heat this winter and even maybe a refrigerator with food.

Possibly even have flush toilets.

Just how horrible has their existence been?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

People can appear to have everything you describe, yet they have no inner peace. Chained to the mundane, bound by debt for material things, they are sad and lost. What better way to escape? It leaves them without the burden of responsibility.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
People can appear to have everything you describe, yet they have no inner peace.

That's an inside job.
[Being at peace with oneself]

Chained to the mundane, bound by debt for material things, they are sad and lost. What better way to escape? It leaves them without the burden of responsibility.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
People have been screaming the end is nigh pretty much since the beginning of "civilzation".

Some people do it out of fear,

Some people say it because they see what a fragile balance of life is.

Others do it for fame, and fortune.

In thousands of years mankind is the same as when it started out as.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Nice thread Slayer..

While i don't really go for the "we all gonna die" on 12/21/2012..

I do know we all will pass someday..

BUT~~~ since winter solstice falls on that date..

I will be celebrating Yule with my lovely wife that day..

while the rest of the world explodes....

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Just how horrible has their existence been?

Compared to what?
Are you implying that no greater challenges other than indoor pluming have persuaded mankind to dream of a peaceful beginning or that if you have indoor pluming then you have no problems that could exist other than what has previously been addressed with a solution?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
Are you implying that no greater challenges other than indoor pluming have persuaded mankind to dream of a peaceful beginning or that if you have indoor pluming then you have no problems that could exist other than what has previously been addressed with a solution?

NO.

But I do feel that many of those who do gripe are doing so not realizing just how far Humanity has come since the Black Death and all the previously mentioned real calamities in human history. Yes the world is not perfect nor will it ever be.

But by comparison they have it easier.

Most are not out there risking life and limb hunting and killing for meat out of necessity, Most are not toiling in the soil to grow their own fruits and vegetables. Most aren't dragging massive blocks of stone to assemble temples. They aren't Dying from the plaque.

Most do have access to free basic education and medicine, Have access to clean water and food. Most have opportunity to improve themselves in all manor not previously available in most of mankind's history.

edit on 2/12/12 by JAK because: Edited upon member request

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You may have substance but you got no imagination.

Do you realize there is 7 billion people on this planet? Most of them are stuck in the mindset of religion..dependent on money to survive, and straight out given the shaft by their governments.

You can sit here all day with your wealth and ego, telling everyone else you should of done like me and you would be as successful. in reality, when you have the heart and balls to open your eyes, you would realize this world is in dire need of help. Thus 2012.

12 has been a motif in alot of religions and culture..hell even our clock go to 12 for a reason..

2012 for a reason

Its like your subconscious is yearning for truth...but ego is holding you back...LIKE MANY ON ATS..

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I think Apocalypse is ingrained in Humans for one reason. The simple fact that we cant live forever. Death is and will always be romanticized, vilified, etc..... Apocalypse = Herd Mentality. Its not a personal Death. Apocalypse is the end all of end all's.Not to mention that Mass extinction has been recorded throughout the ages, so it is going to happen eventually.

Its sad though, that many wish it to happen sooner, then later and want to "believe" in all the hype people are willing to put out, with regards to it........

S&F

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join