It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So here is my rant:

It's a beautiful day today. Not a cloud in the sky, the temperature is in the mid 70s, the leaves are falling, a soft breeze is blowing. I had to drive the spouse to the airport 2 hours away, not a bad drive because I take country highways instead of the Interstate.

We decide to ride with the car windows down so that we can enjoy the beautiful weather on the drive. Out of nowhere comes this horrible stench! We quickly roll up the windows and what do we see? Dead skunk in the middle of the road! Fine, we get a way down the highway and roll the windows back down- then it hits us again- then again and again! We must have passed at least 20 dead skunks during a 2 hour drive.

Is it "Hit the skunk for points" season? Do skunks pick a certain time of year to commit vehicular suicide en masse? Such a beautiful day and had to keep the windows rolled up for the rest of the trip to the airport and I had to keep them rolled up for the 2 hour drive back home. The whole situation just reeks!

At least I can have the windows open now at home, but trust me- I will never forget the record number of dead skunk "smellings" in one trip. Here is a tribute to those skunks who have fallen for your entertainment:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Ugh, that's crazy to have so many like that!

Since I've lived in the state I'm in now I don't think I've even seen one but when I lived in Northern New York we had a lot of them and I HATE that smell. Can't say I've ever had the displeasure of smelling 20 dead ones in a row though!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

I didn't even know there were that many skunks in Texas! In my whole life I have only seen skunks around here a handful of times. Now when I was a kid we lived in Michigan for a year- that was a completely different story!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

We must have passed at least 20 dead skunks during a 2 hour drive.

.....I will never forget the record number of dead skunk "smellings" in one trip.

I'm curious, did you actually see another dead skunk smashed on the road each and every time that you smelled one?

Many many moons ago, in a county far far away, I can recall a few times during which the sweet skunky aroma encompassed me, but there was not a single skunk to be found. Come to find out, that aroma was actually being produced by a plant.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Those poor Skunks. It's a shame that so many of them had died. Color me weird, but I actually LOVE the smell of Skunk! Seriously. I don't know what it is, but whenever I have had the pleasure of taking in the aroma of the funky, skunky glandular goodness to my nostrils, everyone else around me is gagging. lol

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

We actually SAW that many dead skunks. We also saw several armadillos, possums, rabbits and a fox- but I have NEVER seen that many skunks in one day around this area, dead or alive!

Just to note, one of the dead armadillos we saw was on it's back and apparently somebody thought it was a good idea to prop a Shiner Bock bottle between it's hands. I almost ran the car into the oncoming lane I was laughing so hard!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
skunks will breed 'profusely' after a rainy season and then they will walk slowly to the 'middle of the road' so we can squash them with our autos and spread their odor.

... does the title of your OP refer to that old song ?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Inconceivable

Ummm....that's kind of weird. To each his own I guess, and more power to you friend!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Indeed it does! In case you can't see it I posted the Youtube of the song with the lyrics.

Those little skunks must have been REALLY busy during the rainy season!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Just to note, one of the dead armadillos we saw was on it's back and apparently somebody thought it was a good idea to prop a Shiner Bock bottle between it's hands. I almost ran the car into the oncoming lane I was laughing so hard!
lol.

Maybe he just passed out while relaxing with a cold one on a hot day.....
If you go back there now, I bet he'll be gone.
He woke up and realized he was out of beer.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The poor people that hit those skunks, are going to have very "skunky" smelling vehicles.

Hope they don't get pulled over by an officer of the law, with their cars smelling like that.

I hit a skunk years ago, and had to explain it to everyone I worked with.
I smelled "illegal".

My car smelled even worse. It permeated the whole car, inside and out.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You know, as odd as it sounds, that point came up in discussion during the trip. Fortunately, we didn't see any people having their cars torn apart by the search dogs on the side of the road, so I'm hoping they got lucky!

new topics

top topics

join