It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Of Mexico 52 Times More Toxic From Corexit Clean Up Than The Original Oil Spill Itself

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
fromthetrenchesworldreport.com...-26997

'Study shows mixing oil with dispersant increased toxicity to Gulf’s ecosystems. If the 4.9 million barrels of oil that spilled into the Gulf of Mexico during the 2010 Deep Water Horizon spill was a ecological disaster, the two million gallons of dispersant used to clean it up apparently made it even worse – 52-times more toxic. That’s according to new research from the Georgia Institute of Technology and Universidad Autonoma de Aguascalientes (UAA), Mexico.'

This is unbelievable...there has to be more to this than what they have been telling us. The Gulf just seems to be getting worse and worse...BP was recently banned from receiving contracts..TEMPORARILY...which to me means they will be allowed to eventually resume...in the meantime...I bet they have their hands in this somehow.
edit on 12/1/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
EDIT:i am blind, sorry.
edit on 1-12-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by smashdem

You wanted my source?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Every time I see a thread like this it makes me not want to eat seafood ever again.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Philosorapter

I know it sucks...but imagine the amount of damage done to that area and the livelihoods being destroyed...if you are going to eat seafood...best you do the fishing yourself, right? Unfortunately, you can't even trust the local lake...they may have dumped Toxic waste there...the world is just heading for a major ecological disaster every day one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is so upsetting. It seems that man has polluted the air, water and land, everything we need for survival.

What kind of world are we leaving our children?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Unfortunately, not much of one...we can thank our parents...they allowed the proliferation to happen...they did not put a stop to it long before...now we will pay the price...the list is long...starting with nuclear waste and ending with chemtrails.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

there has to be more to this than what they have been telling us.

There is most definitely more to the story than you conveyed.

From your source:

“What remains to be determined is whether the benefits of dispersing the oil by using Corexit are outweighed by the substantial increase in toxicity of the mixture,” said Snell, chair of the School of Biology. “Perhaps we should allow the oil to naturally disperse. It might take longer, but it would have less toxic impact on marine ecosystems.”

You make it seem as if the mixture of crude oil and Corexit is 52 times more toxic, and 11 times more lethal, to humans than crude oil is, but that's not what your source, or even the study indicates. Here is a link to the published findings.

By the way, what is the source of your imbedded image?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

I didn't make this up..I posted the source. I just brought it here as information...you can troll all you want, doesn't change the fact that this spill happened and the clean-up has been botched and actually created a worse situation in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I live on the Gulf. I don't eat anything that comes from it and I don't go in the water. Even before the BP oil spill two of my friends got the flesh eating bacteria from swimming in it.

I do still love to go walk on the beach though when I get a chance, and I still love to watch the sun rise and set there better than anywhere else.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If they can detect that the waters are 52 times more toxic, then they should also be able to test the seafood for toxins - have they done this in light of this new study? Seems they should. I am a huge seafood from the Gulf area lover. Got to have my catfish, crawfish, shrimp. crabs and what ever else I can buy or catch.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Very interesting
Take a read
I dare say that people may see now.
And thats another one to me

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You can safely eat the crawfish. They are raised in the rice fields during the season when they flood them. That's why good crawfish are usually only available during a short season. Crawfish you get the rest of the year are those little ones they import from China.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I used to live in Gulf Shores Alabama...many of my friends made a living from Shrimping...not anymore...it sucks...I wish you would move Littled, that area just seems to be heading for major problems..if not please be careful where you do go.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Wouldn't trust any of it...unless it is farm raised...and then you still have to trust that they did not have their farms contaminated by toxic waste dumping.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33

Wouldn't trust any of it...unless it is farm raised...and then you still have to trust that they did not have their farms contaminated by toxic waste dumping.

i try not to eat that either.. they are usually fed like cows, food they aren't supposed to be eating and they live in their own feces.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Thanks for the concern buddy! Yeah, the future looks like it could go down in a bad way for my neck of the woods, but I've never been happy anywhere but here. Whatever may come this is home, it's where all my people who need me are and it's where my heart is.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by christoph

After reading more about Fish farms...I would have to say it seems to be the better of two Bad choices...I might just give up eating altogether...The way they produce food is suspect everywhere...in the entire world...just makes me sick to my stomach to know all the companies that have used illegal dumping and genetically modified processes to keep production at a certain level...makes me long for the more simpler days...

en.wikipedia.org...

In these kinds of systems fish production per unit of surface can be increased at will, as long as sufficient oxygen, fresh water and food are provided. Because of the requirement of sufficient fresh water, a massive water purification system must be integrated in the fish farm. A clever way to achieve this is the combination of hydroponic horticulture and water treatment, see below. The exception to this rule are cages which are placed in a river or sea, which supplements the fish crop with sufficient oxygenated water. Some environmentalists object to this practice.

en.wikipedia.org...

Marine pollution occurs when harmful, or potentially harmful effects, can result from the entry into the ocean of chemicals, particles, industrial, agricultural and residential waste, noise, or the spread of invasive organisms. Most sources of marine pollution are land based. The pollution often comes from nonpoint sources such as agricultural runoff and wind blown debris and dust. Many potentially toxic chemicals adhere to tiny particles which are then taken up by plankton and benthos animals, most of which are either deposit or filter feeders. In this way, the toxins are concentrated upward within ocean food chains. Many particles combine chemically in a manner highly depletive of oxygen, causing estuaries to become anoxic.

Neither situation seems appetizing to me...but if I had to choose one over the other, I'll take my chances with farm raised.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I suspected that would be your reply...would you at least make sure you are not anywhere near the sinkhole situation...and move to higher ground....I know options are limited...I will send you as much positive energy as I can muster Littled...Did you go see my smile thread yet? I posted a picture just for you!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I am nowhere near the sinkhole in LA, though there is one less than a 30 minutes from here- but it is due to stupid fracking! It caused a salt dome to collapse, no swamp or gaseous bubbling involved. I will check out the smile thread now!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join