It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad is the economy..Let me tell you

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm not bragging, simply stating my credentials. I have a PhD in econ. and I work as a consultant in investor relations. The "economy" in this country is rigged. Plain, pure and simple. I'm not going to sit here and write another redundant essay explaining why. There are a group of people who plan certain actions to take in order to manipulate the costs of everything. They know the effect it will have, how long it will take, and they leverage it. One day these people will realize they aren't God and can never be God. Until that day, get used to this. It's only going to get worse since obviously we as a people aren't actually going to band together, pick up arms and take over. In order for that to happen, people would have to first stop being so ignorant. People are waking up a bit, but far too slow to affect major positive change in our lifetimes. We will see it get worse, but our children and grandchildren are the only ones with a real hope of still being around to see it get better. And most likely even they will not.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Is it worse to not be able to afford the commodities you do not need or to not be able to afford goods and services you cannot live without?

The economy isn't going to collapse because a business has failed that nobody relies on in times of poverty.

You own a completely useless company when times are rough.
Do you think that the makers' of Angel Soft are doing terrible?
What about Tide Laundry detergent or the companies' who product is dish soap?

I hate to say it, but when the country can only afford what it needs, and not what it wants, what kind of business fails?

A company who offers a product that serves no purpose other than vanity is one.

I'm sorry as I am sure your meteorite jewelry is spectacular, but no one needs it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I think people are wising up to the christmas scam. A pagan holiday with pagan rituals( not bashing pagans) that has been used as an economic tool. We kicked the christmas to the curb shortly after we got rid of the television. Why go into debt every year just to show people that you like them. spend time with them and help them when they need it (builds better friendships then junk from wallmart); and keep your money to pay your bills and taxes

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Is it a surprise? Any measure to put more money in the pockets of people has been obstructed, wether it be universal healthcare raising minimum wage, what have you. Instead non solutions were touted. How exactly was keeping the bush tax cuts going to boos the economy?

Everybody moaned about communism and redistribution of wealth, well the wealth is securely locked in in the hands of a few and they are going to not spend most of it.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I don't think it's going to get better anytime soon, i have been looking for work since august. I have applied for all sorts of Jobs i get turned down from many because i am overqualified. Or i get sent for interviews for jobs that i am sure do not exist. More and more i get the feeling that this is happening on purpose, no financial independence = no freedom.

But what do i know........I hope things get better soon, for everyone!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHYFIGHT
I think people are wising up to the christmas scam. A pagan holiday with pagan rituals( not bashing pagans) that has been used as an economic tool. We kicked the christmas to the curb shortly after we got rid of the television. Why go into debt every year just to show people that you like them. spend time with them and help them when they need it (builds better friendships then junk from wallmart); and keep your money to pay your bills and taxes

I understand your point, but, my little girl is still going to get presents under the tree. We may be broke, but she will get at least a few small things. I had presents when I was a kid, and so will she.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
You know, I cannot believe some of the nasty comments toward the OP.

If he didn't have a business at all and just lived on welfare, then everyone would be going nuts on him. At least he has made his way, and worked hard at it, even if you don't like his wares or what he does for a living. It's disheartening to see something you worked hard for, and built to fade away. I do hope your business picks up, op. Times are rough for most everyone.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

The replies you are getting just confirm how ignorant Most
People are when it comes to extraterrestrial materials.

Maybe I can help a bit.
Meteorites are the oldest object you can hold in your hand.

Iron meteorites are from the core of differentiated proto planets, and
Are Most likely just like our Earths core.

Some meteorites contain amino acids, the building blocks
Of life, and probably seeded the early Earth.

The Earth itself is made entirely of meteorites, and everything on it.

Yes every atom in your body was part of a meteorite at one time.

Yes every atom in your body will be a part of a meteorite in the future.

Meteorites are what made us, and they will take us out again
Someday!

They are the leftovers from an old SuperNova, and we are them...

They are the closest thing to being our creator as you can get,
And hold in you hand.

We should all give thanks to the people who hunt these extraterrestrial
Rocks, and offer them to the public. Its hella hard to find them!

I would help a brother out and make a purchase!

They have been good luck for me!!

Sorry no links, typing on a phone...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

You don't have more competition do you? In the last few years the Chinese have catched on to copying idea's and web sites selling absolute crap, just saying.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
Every small business that I know of right now is doing GREAT. Actually, all of them are doing better than ever right now to be honest. (no reason given)

What state are you in? I work for a small rep/distribution company and our buisiness SUCKS. We sell consumer electronics mostly car and home audio, and the past two years have been our worst. And all of the small businesses we supply and struggling, and many have closed, and we cover 4 states.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It's the worst economy since the great depression. Irony is if Romney won the media would be reporting the truth on it (although they would blame Romney). But since Obama won the economy is great! And he is gone for a 20 day vacation!

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A meteorite jewelry business is assuredly not a 'Need' type of business. Even you attest to that. I would think such boutique type business's would be the first to go into the red. Hindsight's said to be 20/20, and it might have been prudent to take that into consideration a couple years ago. Still, where I'm at, business is fairly good, not brisk, but sustainable. But it's more of a 'needs' climate here.

You know, you collecting meteorites reminds me of a saying, and in most cases it's apt. As people become focused, say for instance Gold..... It's been said people have walked over a fortune in diamonds in their focused search for Gold .... looking for nothing but Gold.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have to agree with the OP. I manage a privately owned music store selling/renting guitars, drums, band instruments, etc. Our business in the past two years has dropped off the table. People simply do not come through the doors like they used to. Lessons are down, and the school band programs (which always get attacked before anyone considers touching sports) are eroding away. I think much of it has to do with music is often considered a "luxury item" and not a necessity. And when people come in for music essentials like reeds for a saxophone, where they used to buy five or a box of 10, now they buy one or two.

The problem I see it for small businesses is that you cannot compete with the "big guys." We cannot order the massive amounts of inventory which gives us the best price breaks (meaning we can't always match prices), and shipping (to get the inventory to our store) has increased dramatically of late. For example, a beginners drum set which should sell for about $400 may cost us $289, but the shipping cost for us is another $60. So if we sell this "big ticket item" which will sit on the floor for 3-4 months on average, we'll make a whopping $50. Wow!

On top of that, people today are much more inclined to buy online rather than a local business because many places will ship free and the buyer can avoid the sales tax. So again, our $400 set becomes $430 whereas online it's still $400 and it'll arrive on your doorstep.

The playing field for small businesses isn't level versus the chains. Sure we can offer service, and that's supposed to separate "us" from "them," but I don't see that as being a big deal to people. They'll buy their guitars at Best Buy, then come to us to service them because nowhere else does. Well guess what folks? If you don't start supporting these stores offering the service because you'd rather save $20 buying it from a big box store, soon there won't be any place to get that service because we've all gone out of business.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameliel

Yeah hey!!.

Funny how most people don't even get the meaning of the thing this system is referred to as.

CAPITALISM,to take advantage of a situation,good or bad,to generate profit.

It Ain't friendly business,thats just criminals justifying their devious activities.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I wish good income to you, for these holidays... For these ones...

Note:
Some are eating meat, the others are eating cabage. In awerage, everyone is eating sarma...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The massive lines at all the retail stores and malls say a different story. This is coming from So Cal where people buy a ton of gifts or other things for themselves. Home Depot sold out of Christmas lighting. Lines for Christmas trees hectic and out of control.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
1 hour wait Friday night for BJs Pizza and Brewery and the place is huge. Seems like the right businesses and floirshing as usual.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
People may be spending gobs and gobs of money, but do any of them really have it? Or is it all going on their credit cards to some day (soon) wind up in bankruptcy? Granted, we somehow allow our government to spend money in a similar fashion, but just because there's long lines and people "spending" doesn't mean everything's a-okay. Not when the average credit card debt is around $8,000 per person.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

They are expanding the walmarts here. It depends on the area. There are local events that drive local economies, it is isn't all nationally driven.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
As a small business owner and consultant for other small businesses, the first question I have is how do you know people aren't spending their disposable income at a different meteorite jewelry store or website? You might assume that the entire economy is hurting, but it might be your particular business model, or location, etc...

Struggling business owners always complain that their business isn't what it used to be when they first started. When they had energy, probably spent more time thinking about their business, how to market better, and how to expand. Once they get a whiff of failure or decay on their business they don't do what it takes to turn it around. Although sometimes it's better to walk away and stop losing money while focusing on a better business model.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join