It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Looks at Doing Away with $! Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Na, they make those platform shoes with tip jars.
]See?

those ladies will be alright.

Coins last longer so to me this doesn't require much thought at all. Phase it out and go with coins, that's what almost every other country does.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
From ABC news

American consumers have shown about as much appetite for the $1 coin as kids do their spinach. They may not know what's best for them either. Congressional auditors say doing away with dollar bills entirely and replacing them with dollar coins could save taxpayers some $4.4 billion over the next 30 years.

It seems the main savings comes because coins need to be replaced every 30 years, versus dollar bills being replaced every 4-5 years. Makes sense to me.

How would you feel about this, ATS? Personally, it wouldn't phase me much at all, but I'm curious to know others' views.

It may also have something to do with the fact that only the Federal Reserve can PRINT money. Then they lend it to the country with interest. Our government cannot print money. Our government can, however, create coins.

Pay with coins-- fight the Federal Reserve!!!

Edit to Add: Next, we need to start creating $5 coins, $10 coins and $20 coins!!!
edit on 11/30/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
reply to post by smyleegrl

the coin is too much like the pound, although America is too much like Europe now too.

Lolwut? I think it's the other way around. Britain, certainly, is becoming too much like America.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I'm pretty sure they will take $5 bills instead

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
We haven't had $1 or $2 bills for quite a while in Canada. It's strange at first, but you get used to it. Convenient for vending machines and parking

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
So much would $200 weigh?I can understand the savings theory but isn't that a lot of bulk to be dragging around?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

If a few members of Congress ever had to carry my purse around for even one day they wouldn't even think about replacing dollar bills with coins! It's heavy enough already; with one well placed swing I could knock a line backer unconscious because it's so heavy. If it were weighed down more with heavy coins I would need a forklift to tote it around. Maybe a few congressWOMEN need to chime in on this one!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Since so many people seem opposed to $1 dollar coins because they look like quarters - evidently most of those folks are BILND since the current $1 coins are gold colored unlike any other coins we've got. Yeah the Susan B Anthony dollars were pretty much a bust and they mostly got melted, but I go to the bank and get rolls of shiny gold dollars to carry around - they make great impressions on most folks.

Why don't we start minting $2 coins to replace the Jefferson $2 bill nobody seems to observe outside race track bettors windows? Perhaps this would help overcome the resistance to $1 coins we're experiencing. On the other hand, forget about $5 coins they'd be too cumbersome to carry in change for a Jackson.

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is going to wreak havoc on the stripper industry : /

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Funny they would market it as a cost saving measure when $1 Billion dollars in unwanted unused dollar coins are just sitting in warehouses.

In a dimly lit underground vault a block from Camden Yards, the Federal Reserve is holding millions of dollars in cash that nobody wants.
Link

There are two things this is about and neither one is good for you or me.

1) The gov f-ed up royally with their mandatory $1 coin casting crap and is trying anything and everything to lessen the cost of that stupidity.

2) Everything is getting more expensive and the sooner they acclimate you to dropping dollar coins into meters and machines the better for them.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
We can put Barry's face on them and call them Obama-bucks, but we will have to be careful not to confuse them with dimes..

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

oh why not get rid of money altogether? think... no more change to hunt for , think... no more lost bills, think ... no more bulge wallets in pants pocket. just use a card instead.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Fine by me. Just make them out of silver. Along with dimes, quarters, half dollars...

And make sure the government mints them instead of being federal reserve funny money.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

oh why not get rid of money altogether? think... no more change to hunt for , think... no more lost bills, think ... no more bulge wallets in pants pocket. just use a card instead.

Yes, and just have every single monetary transaction you ever make be open to scrutiny by someone or other. I'd rather on my knees and looking for change in the street, never mind my pockets, than be in a situation where everything I buy is open to this. 99% of my purchases are cash and I'd like it to stay that way.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Coins are more of a hassle to carry around. They don't fit very well in a wallet, they find the deepest hidden crevice in a purse, they tend to fall out of the pockets of most girly type jeans and don't get me started about how many times the washing machine has jammed because people forget to check pockets for coinage first whereas that linen dollar will eventually dry out. I can see the benefit of having to be replaced to the public less often, but talk about a headache to deal with everyday. I'll end up losing more around the house.
edit on 30-11-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: add thought

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Anyone that doesn't see the benefit of this is because they fear change. Double entendre definitely meant. My fellow Canuckistanis have already recounted the coins we have for the $1 and $2. I was against it at first but have come to embrace it. Think about it. You want something from a vending machine. What weighs less and is easier to keep track of? 8 quarters or 1 $2 coin? Secondly, I tend to throw my coins in a jar. Kinda nice finding that you have $60 when you thought you were broke.

Canada is basically phasing out paper currency. Our $100, $50 and $20 are now being made of a polymer. Try to tear one of those apart. I have. You can't. They'll last a long time. Just don't put them through the dryer.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
They should do away with all the phoney paper bills and replace them with gold and silver coins. That would save them a ton of money and take care of some other problems in the process.

I agree.

With no paper to print there is no need for the FED!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If the main reason for making the change to coins is to save printing cost`s of bills then i say forget it.The little bit of money that they will save by making coins instead of paper bills will just be pissed away in ten minutes by congress.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Dollar bills are lighter and more easily storable. That's one reason dollar bills were invented in the first place. This is a step backward. Now if they fixed the value of the dollar it would not cost so much to replace the dollar. They could also just redesign the dollar with better materials that dont wear out as fast.
edit on 30-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I'd say your first point is probably what drives this. Most people would probably rather drop dead than change anything really even if it would be for their benefit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join