It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice sheet melting accounts for 20% of sea level rise since 1992

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

The loss of ice covering Greenland and Antarctica has accelerated over the last 20 years, shrinking three times as much as in the 1990s and contributing substantially to sea level rise, according to a comprehensive new study of ice sheet loss conducted by 26 laboratories around the world.

Sea level has risen by about 20 centimeters, or almost 8 inches, since pre-industrial times and the widespread combustion of fossil fuels, whose emissions of carbon dioxide have been the biggest contributor to climate change.

Sea level has risen an average of 3 millimeters a year since 1992, but the effect is cumulative and accelerating.

That's super, anyone know what accounts for the other 80%?
edit on 29-11-2012 by winterkill because: add

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Couldnt resist

edit on 11/29/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Okay, you got me! I laughed pretty darn hard.
Thanks!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Lol, I rarely find an opportunity to use that meme.
As for your question..I really couldnt answer with any facts.
A guess though. Possibly the heavy earthquake activity weve had over the last two decades, raising plates under the ocean

Volcanic activity pushing up new underwater land masses

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
www.latimes.com...

The loss of ice covering Greenland and Antarctica has accelerated over the last 20 years, shrinking three times as much as in the 1990s and contributing substantially to sea level rise, according to a comprehensive new study of ice sheet loss conducted by 26 laboratories around the world.

Sea level has risen by about 20 centimeters, or almost 8 inches, since pre-industrial times and the widespread combustion of fossil fuels, whose emissions of carbon dioxide have been the biggest contributor to climate change.

Sea level has risen an average of 3 millimeters a year since 1992, but the effect is cumulative and accelerating.

That's super, anyone know what accounts for the other 80%?
edit on 29-11-2012 by winterkill because: add

"whose emissions of carbon dioxide have been the biggest contributor to climate change"

Whomever wrote this might want to look at two things, the largest contributor or driver of climate, that being the sun and of course changes in our path through the galaxy (possibly through dispersed nebula). I find it highly improbable that cow farts and SUV's (carbon dioxide and methane) are driving climate change on other planets in the solar system. The second, carbon dioxide increase FOLLOWS temperature increases, it's in both geological and fossil records. not the other way around as Man Bear Pig Al Gore would like us all to believe.

We may be a contributor to climate change, but I think if you (or the source) actually does a little research they will find that out "contribution" is less than 1%.

As far as the other 80%, maybe the earth really is expanding?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 11/29.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Regardless just prepare for global temperature change. Nothing we can do about climatic change. but adapt.
To you guys in the northern hemisphere looks like change is happening faster up there.
My advice move south while you can way south of the equator.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
A question about your 20 CM sea rise. I've been fishing at the same ocean spot since June 1988 and the water is at the exact same levels on some rocks I use as markers to this day. Are those rocks rising?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Shouldn't we be worried about the 80% stuff?
Yet everything's about the 20% in the article.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Ha ha, I had to do it. I'm sorry. It always starts with 1.

top topics

join