It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Mayan Apocalypse Rumors Have Dark Side, NASA Warns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrskyblueworld

Also...NASA has this question and answer article; which I think is a good read too.

Link: www.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
nasa, what a waste of dollars they have become and when did they get into the psychology field?

anyway if you want to scare anyone, just explain our current state of economics and the inevitable collapse of the dollar. or maybe the fallout from Fukushima that we will be absorbing for multiple decades. you could go into the still ongoing BP oil spill and subsequent polluting of the Atlantic.

we could talk about the possibility of global famine due to droughts, or genetic manipulation and it's effects on species current and future.

please nasa enlighten us on your fix for the REAL problems we have, instead of worrying about Mayan prophecy.

Although I feel that a lot of what NASA does is not cost effective and a drain on the working people of this society, either through direct or trickle down effects to consumers, I agree with them posting the article. A lot of the young and adults idolize NASA and a scientist saying the world will not end may help save some that are depressed from committing suicide. The release of this article had basicly no cost to society, it was a good thing to do. If it saves one misguided youth from killing themselves it has been a good thing for society. I do not like to see a kid commit suicide. We have had more youth committing suicides around here lately than I ever remember, something is wrong somewhere. a lot of these incidences are not drug or alcohol related either.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Years ago I went to work and noticed one of my co-workers was visibly shaking, terribly nervous and unsettled. I asked her what was wrong, and she said the local preacher was talking about the end of the world coming and he had her scared to death.

Inside, I wanted to laugh, but I tried to keep my composure and I genuinely felt compassion and sympathy for what this woman was feeling. I told her about all the doomsday scenarios that have been preached over the centuries and all have failed to happen and this one will too. So I've personally seen how some people can be affected by these nonsense claims, they do take it far too seriously.

Now if NASA recalculated the orbit of Apophis and said it was on a collision course with Earth destined to strike it in 2029, at least there would be some substance behind the doomsday scenario. But so far all of them have had no substance and December 21, 2012 is no exception. It's like a calendar turning January 1, except in this case it's just the Mayan calender. Somewhere on ATS is a thread listing over a hundred doomsday prophecies, all of which have failed to happen of course. So this is just one more to add to the already very long list.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I know I'm gonna get slammed for this. but here goes:

...maybe people taking themselves out of the gene pool on the 21st is GOOD for humanity. I mean, let's face it - if some fools are so paranoid and fool-hardy to kill themselves over silly fear-mongering rumors, so be it.

I say let evolution work its magic for the benefit of the rest of us that will be celebrating December 21st and the march toward the Spring Equinox - another simple change of the season and nothing more...

Anyone else agree with this, admittedly, rather selfish, but realistic sentiment?

Cheers to all - see you on New Years Eve!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Although I feel that a lot of what NASA does is not cost effective and a drain on the working people of this society, either through direct or trickle down effects to consumers, I agree with them posting the article. A lot of the young and adults idolize NASA and a scientist saying the world will not end may help save some that are depressed from committing suicide. The release of this article had basicly no cost to society, it was a good thing to do. If it saves one misguided youth from killing themselves it has been a good thing for society. I do not like to see a kid commit suicide. We have had more youth committing suicides around here lately than I ever remember, something is wrong somewhere. a lot of these incidences are not drug or alcohol related either.

i disagree on the amount of young and adults idolizing nasa, that may have been true in the early years but today they have nothing to show for themselves when it comes to achievements.

i think a great deal of what today's youth are feeling has little to do with Mayan Prophecy as much as it has with the current world affairs.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY

"The greatest threat to Earth in 2012, at the end of this year and in the future, is just from the human race itself,"

Nuff said...

And no, I don't believe anything special will happen in 3 weeks ;-)

Something really bad is going to happen on 12/21/2012!

Alex Jones said so! Nuff said!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thanks I never spotted this so will be interesting to read.
I know there is loads of threads on this topic and I for one can't wait for the date to pass, just to have a bit of normality albeit until the next 'doomsday' rubbish comes out.
It's just a bit frightening knowing their could be suicides coinciding to this date, all from false facts from fear mongers.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

For him their will be, he'll lose half his subscribers, don't know if they guy has adverts on his channel because I use AdBlock on Chrome, hope he does because the guy is very annoying!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Unfortunately nothing will happen, not even X day darkness, not even consciousness raising. On the other hand, there is a cometh in 2013, also 2013-2014 will be the maximum of solar activity. There is still hope for a more serious solar burst.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I still think someone should turn that Mayan calendar around to see what's on the flip side.
Doing so may reveal the other half of the calendar.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
doomsday 2012:

AKA Y2K 2.0

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

This post is just completely nuts.

You think NASA has NO accomplishments, at all?

Talk about being blinded by your ideology.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

"The greatest threat to Earth in 2012, at the end of this year and in the future, is just from the human race itself," Adams said.

Hahaha, that's exactly what I've been saying. I certainly know a few who seem to be hyping themselves up a little too much.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm sure glad NASA had time to clear that up for us.

Just curious though, what does the Mayan calandar have to do with NASA and why are they making the statement? Seems like an odd agency to be making a statement regarding the psychological and emotional wellbeing of young people. Wouldn't that normally be coming from HHS or something? Maybe it is nothing but it just strikes me as odd.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I suppose your right, NASA hasn't done anything impressive in a while. Crashing a ship into the moon does nothing for me, landing a rover on mars is a waste of money. Of course they are thinking they are doing something great, to them I suppose it matters, they make a living at it. Everyone wants to feel important and needed but unless you are really needed it is just a scam. If they could rid the atmosphere of space junk, that would be impressive.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't know. Proof of water on Mercury basically vindicates the theory that water exists everywhere, and where there is water, there is a potential for life.

NASA doesn't do bread and circuses anymore, obviously, but for science buffs, they are top of the pops in my book.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

What other agency is going to do it? The fact of the matter is that most of these 2012 doomsday theories revolve around some space based threat, be it Nibiru, an asteroid, a solar flare, aliens, etc. That makes NASA the most appropriate agency to address the topic. Besides people are going to NASA with their worries. NASA are merely responding to countless emails and calls they have received on the topic.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Thank you very much for bringing an intelliegent, cogent and informed comment to this issue.
It's about time someone here on ATS addresses this subject with something more than superstition and fear-mongering. S&F

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY

"The greatest threat to Earth in 2012, at the end of this year and in the future, is just from the human race itself,"

Nuff said...

And no, I don't believe anything special will happen in 3 weeks ;-)

only thing i fear happening on dec 21 2012,

is a self fullfilling prophecy. that is: people have told themselves something bad is going to happen so they panic on the day and cause something to happen that wouldnt have if they hadnt freaked out. people are ignorant, people are, for lack of a better word, sheep. they follow the herd. if the herd is running from "something" they all follow, even if its over the cliff and from nothing to begin with.
edit on 29-11-2012 by Dizrael because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

This post is just completely nuts.

You think NASA has NO accomplishments, at all?

Talk about being blinded by your ideology.

once they got satellites into orbit they became redundant and are good for nothing but pictures and data of objects we can do nothing about. so no at this point in time i do not think nasa is worth the money we spend on it. it had it's day, but that's over.

hence the latest press releases to try and maintain nasa's relevance which is failing, along with their funding.

Originally posted by rickymouse

I suppose your right, NASA hasn't done anything impressive in a while. Crashing a ship into the moon does nothing for me, landing a rover on mars is a waste of money. Of course they are thinking they are doing something great, to them I suppose it matters, they make a living at it. Everyone wants to feel important and needed but unless you are really needed it is just a scam. If they could rid the atmosphere of space junk, that would be impressive.

the only people cheering for nasa is mostly nasa employees and armchair astronomers. that would be nice if they did something productive for a change, maybe they can start working in the deep oceans and do something tangible for a change.
edit on 29-11-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join