It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepping for 12/21/12

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 02:16 PM
link   
What is 12/21/12?

Dec 21 2012? No one on earth as far as I know puts the year in the middle...lol

edit on 22-4-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
What is 12/21/12?

Dec 21 2012? No one on earth as far as I know puts the year in the middle...lol

Yeah, I know. They made a change a few years back for some reason....I think it was to keep people on edge leading to confusion when they read things.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Don’t feel bad. I do visit other survival forums on the web and one in particular seem to be geared more towards a shelter in place approach (which is the better option) although indiscriminately use terms like gas masks (plural) in their bug out bag/get home bags (both seem to be at work in a desk drawer perhaps) and an INCH (I’m never coming home) bag in the trunk of their car.

Super prepared for something, I guess. But gas masks don’t work so well when you have to hunt them down. And generally things that need a gas mask to survive also need protective clothing especially softer skin of face, neck and groin areas.

What I am saying it is entertaining, but 99% of all preps should be be of the 1-3 week variety. And if you did have to leg it out, the majority of things needed by most people could be carried in something the size of a tied up pillowcase.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 01:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Don’t feel bad. I do visit other survival forums on the web and one in particular seem to be geared more towards a shelter in place approach (which is the better option) although indiscriminately use terms like gas masks (plural) in their bug out bag/get home bags (both seem to be at work in a desk drawer perhaps) and an INCH (I’m never coming home) bag in the trunk of their car.

The question is bug in or bugout. The problem with bugout is you need some place to go. I have friends farther into the back woods that would be a good bugout spot, but when do you try is also a thing to look at. I always thought that if you can bug in for 2 months in a serious situation the population will kind of die out and then you will have roving gangs and that is when you need to get to some place with other people, but in the first few weeks it would be a dog eat dog world.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Super prepared for something, I guess. But gas masks don’t work so well when you have to hunt them down. And generally things that need a gas mask to survive also need protective clothing especially softer skin of face, neck and groin areas.

What I am saying it is entertaining, but 99% of all preps should be be of the 1-3 week variety. And if you did have to leg it out, the majority of things needed by most people could be carried in something the size of a tied up pillowcase.

I need a bug out panel truck. Who wants to carry a bag around.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

The question is bug in or bugout. The problem with bugout is you need some place to go. I have friends farther into the back woods that would be a good bugout spot, but when do you try is also a thing to look at. I always thought that if you can bug in for 2 months in a serious situation the population will kind of die out and then you will have roving gangs and that is when you need to get to some place with other people, but in the first few weeks it would be a dog eat dog world.

Unless there is a forest fire we would just stay right here at our house. There aren't that many places in this country safer than here in the U.P of Michigan...food is abundant if you have a gun and fishing gear, we have land to grow stuff on and firewood here to heat and cook with. Sure, the deer would be all gone in about three months here, people would be out hunting and waste a lot of meat if something happened, but that is what happens during an emergency. I would be feeling sorry for the deer being hunted down to nothing if it happened.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Unless there is a forest fire we would just stay right here at our house. There aren't that many places in this country safer than here in the U.P of Michigan...food is abundant if you have a gun and fishing gear, we have land to grow stuff on and firewood here to heat and cook with. Sure, the deer would be all gone in about three months here, people would be out hunting and waste a lot of meat if something happened, but that is what happens during an emergency. I would be feeling sorry for the deer being hunted down to nothing if it happened.

Could you imagine being in LA with no food water after 3 to 5 days?

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   

After Resident Evil 2 hit the markets ... the whole zombie apocalyptic thing was in full swing with multiple movies and pretty much a sub-culture behind it. A lot of us old school horror-b fans were quick to point out the problems and how it doesn't go by Romero protocol Yada Yada yada...

So yeah, it's pretty easy and a past time a lot of us geeksters love to imagine L.A. with no food or water...

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I could imagine it....I would definitely not want to be in a big city if things got bad.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Mors Kochanski (1940-2019) a famous Canadian outdoorsman said “The more you know, the less you have to carry. The less you know, the more you have to carry."

Horace Kephart (1862-1931) American outdoorsman and pretty much The Father of Bushcrafting said to never baton your knife. This is also my long tradition. To properly baton you will have a saw and a knife. That means you can make wedges all day long to split wood. Even a wood mallet to drive the wedges.

Bugging out versus staying in is a judgement call. Do you have a safe bugout location? If not that tightens the options. If it seems too dangerous to stay (the aforementioned LA or NYC) and this is a WROL (without rule of law) then staying isn’t an option. Caravan to the wilderness is an option so long as it isn’t a rape and pillage party, because that is not a safe situation.

The Nike Express is your best bet for travel. While slow and tiring, it is infinitely more stealthy than anything else. And you are less likely to be attacked for your shoes versus car, bicycle, horse, etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I could imagine it....I would definitely not want to be in a big city if things got bad.

No way out but to walk like 50 miles and no where to go after that as millions become cannibals within 2 weeks. I guess the whole CA vegan thing would go out the window within a week...lol

Damn that would be a good horror movie, but real life.

posted on Jun, 1 2022 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I bought a new meat saw about eight years ago to put into the basement. Figured some day I might need it if things got messed up around here. I also have an old hand crank meat grinder to grind up animals for food. I usually only eat vegetarian animals though.
Unless of course I turn into a zombie or something, and if I do, I won't remember I own a meat saw and hand meat grinder.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well...the year 2012 and December 21, 2012 is long past, right? So...everybody will be breathing a sigh of relief, no? It's not as if the minutes, hours and seconds have all been counted wrong? It's currently October 2022, no?

The year 2012 is long past, right?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join