It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The waters are turning red - Melbourne 29/11/2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
www.news.com.au...

A RED algae break out has forced lifeguards to shut down Torquay beach.
The ocean between Lorne and Torquay has turned red and orange, with residents as far as Bancoora also reporting small patches of discoloured water.
Torquay Surf Club's David Nankervis said it was an amazing sight, but lifeguards were concerned for the safety of swimmers and surfers.
Lifeguards were expected to close the beach before 1pm.

Sydney and Melbourne, obviously its spreading down the coast line. Has this occured simultaneously before? I dont know.

poor Melb, its in a heatwave atm!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Sydney and Melbourne, obviously its spreading down the coast line.

Not obviously
Its two separate algal blooms in two separate places, and your news article even says the Torquay one is small.

edit on 28-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
"In my 2012, I was 14 years old spending most of my time living, running and hiding in the woods and rivers of central Florida. The civil war was in its 7th year and the world war was three years away. Yes, there are unusual events in 2012 but they do not cause the world to end. Unfortunately, I have decided not to discuss events that you or I can do anything about. It is important that they be a surprise. Perhaps you are familiar with the story of the Red Sea and the Egyptians?"

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'm not surprised what with the crazy weather here lately.

10am- Freezing.
1pm- Thunderstorms.
3pm- 47 degree heat.
3.05pm- Snow.

I'm in Melb CBD at work now trying to cope with this heat. Thank god for air-con.

At least the algae blooms won't kill swimmers trying to escape the heat.

The blooms were unlikely to cause serious illness in humans but could cause skin irritation, according to the Department of Sustainability.

SOURCE

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Reminds me of what happened in China a while ago.

Though I believe the cause was a different one.

S&F

SS
edit on 103030p://pm3000 by Spike Spiegle because: S&F

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi
I'm not surprised what with the crazy weather here lately.

10am- Freezing.
1pm- Thunderstorms.
3pm- 47 degree heat.
3.05pm- Snow.

I'm in Melb CBD at work now trying to cope with this heat. Thank god for air-con.

At least the algae blooms won't kill swimmers trying to escape the heat.

The blooms were unlikely to cause serious illness in humans but could cause skin irritation, according to the Department of Sustainability.

SOURCE

Yeah, its got to have something to do with the heat i'd say? Its only in the 30s up here in Bris today, but friends living in Melbourne are saying its ridicously hot down there.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Heatwave over there, algal blooms gone bonkers?

And we found the part of the roof that vanished in the storm 2 days ago.

In the neighbours back yard lmao... We have great neighbours there, they've not said a word with half a roof in their back yard.

So it makes us worried about how to get it back... what if they say it's always been there.. Oo

But it's freezing here, raining, windy, blustery, I was freezing cold this morning, and it should be boiling hot this time of year. It's almost december...

it should be too hot.. Melting candle hot..

lol what a cranky biddy ol' mother earth is being..

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Tell me about it, 41 deg' here. Such a shocker to the system. Probably heat cause alge I would guess. Wouldn't be swimming in that no matter how hot. Think it's going to be a terrible summer down this part of the world .

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't like this blood-red water one bit. Nope nope nope. But it's like a car wreck. It's terrible but you can't look away. So here is some information I found for you. It lists 'blood waters' reported since December of last year (but you probably don't like the source, but the info would be easy enough to verify since dates are included.)

Besides oceans, rivers and lakes, it includes red rain and red waterfalls. The article is pretty 'extreme' in viewpoint, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Let's take a gander at the data:

Dec 17, 2011: Jian River in China turned red.
Feb 16: Beirut River, Lebanon, mysteriously turned blood red, emptying red-colored water into the Mediterranean Sea.
Jun 3: Ohara, Japan the sea turned red resulting in a massive fishkill of 200 tons of sardines.
Jul 29: Azov Sea on the shores of Ukraine and Russia turned red panicking locals.
Aug.10: Lake in a marshy area in the Rhone delta, The Camargue, turned “blood red. ”
Aug.14: Lake Retba in Senegal took on a reddish strawberry-like hue
Sept.7: Yangtze River in China turned red, and no one seems to know why.

In 2012, some other "blood red" reports also came in from Alaska, Antarctica (a waterfall), Australia (public pond), Bulgaria, Canadian Rockies (waterfall), China (waterfall), Iran, Iraq (Lake Urmia), Kerala, India (red rain); Memphis, Tennessee (swamp); Ohio; Texas (a lake and a reservoir).

www.examiner.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

It is a bit strange. This is the sort of thing you never hear about in Australia but with that, I'm never exactly looking for it either.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Supposing the blooms join up and engulf the East Coast. Then spread up through Indonesia and move on to then engulf the rest of the world.

Then what?
edit on 29-11-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I do believe the northern east coast of the US has suffered this "red tide" often, if I am getting the connection. Many years we cannot eat the clams, etc. when it does happen.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Are they still red?

Does anyone know?

new topics

top topics

join