It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flipping people off via christmas lights OK- ACLU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
HAHA this is great finally the aclu are doing something productive

A Denham Springs woman got a visit from the cops after nearby residents were offended by her somewhat unorthodox Christmas lights display. Homeowner Sarah Henderson intentionally fashioned the lights on her roof (photo, above) to look like a human hand "flipping the bird." Neighbors called police to complain, and Denham Springs Police Corporal Shawn Perkins paid her a visit. Corporal Perkins said the woman told him she put the display as a direct message to her neighbors.

"It was a message to an ongoing dispute she was having with other homeowners on that same street," Perkins told WWL First News. Perkins says he informed Henderson that the display was in violation of obscenity laws and that it must come down, or else. "She agreed that it wasn't worth the possible hassle of fines and legal action," Perkins said. However, the ACLU of Louisiana soon waded into the fray. "The First Amendment expressly, explicitly, makes clear that even things like the raised middle finger are protected speech," says Executive Director Marjorie Esman. Esman sent an open letter to the Denham Springs Police Department "to ensure that no such fines are levied or other penalties imposed if Henderson chooses to reinstall her controversial holiday display." In that letter, Esman wrote: "The Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeal, which presides over Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi, has specifically commented on the protected expressive nature of a middle finger extended in defiance or protest:

“The thumbed nose, the projected middle finger, the Bronx cheer, the grimace and the smile are all conduct intended to convey a message that is sometimes made even more expressive by its bold freedom from a garb of words.” Davis v. Williams." We asked Denham Springs Police Chief Scott Jones what his plans were if the woman again puts up the display. "Well, I'll approach that when and if it happens," he said.

right on

Ok I do find it very distasteful but I'm glad rights are being defended above peoples poor little feelings

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

She could have said that they are Hanukkah lights and that it is a menorah. It also looks like a cactus.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Being able to flip someone off should be included in 'free speech'. If you do not have the stomach to ignore a feeble hand gesture by someone spewing negativity, i pray for your strength. This is one of the ways to chip away at freedom of speech... by quantifying little bits of it as bad.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

What would Santa say? (Ho! Ho! No!)

Hare's one 4 ya...

edit on 28-11-2012 by mycomputer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The comments section below the video is good for a laugh...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
While I agree this is free speech and should be protected, I really despise people that do this sort of thing. Keeping the lights up for a few days, yeah fine and I do find it funny. Making the other neighbors suffer because of some childish dispute is trashy though.

It's like those trashy houses you drive by with crap strewn everywhere, lawns festooned with junk cars and cats coming out of the wood work. Yeah you should be able to do what you want with your property, but that doesn't mean you're not being a douchebag.

new topics

top topics

join