It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naked man wielding machete and knife shot, killed by officer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

AURORA, Colo. - Aurora police say a naked man who attacked officers with a machete and knife was shot and killed by an officer on Tuesday afternoon. The incident began about 12:30 p.m. when a family member called 911, requesting medical assistance for a 55-year-old man who was acting strangely at a home in the 1600 block of South Buckley Way. Aurora Fire Department paramedics arrived and encountered a naked man standing at the top of some stairs in the home, police said. The paramedics tried to talk with the man, but he became increasingly agitated, police said. The man ducked into a room and came out holding what witnesses called a machete, police said. The paramedics retreated from the home and called for police.

Three officers arrived within minutes and entered the home, police said. At the top of the stairs to the second floor, officers were confronted by the man holding two large knives, police said. The man cut two officers, police said. One officer fired at least one shot, hitting the man, who fell to the ground, police said. The paramedics were called into the house and provided emergency medical care for the man, police said. The man was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The two officers did not suffer serious injuries. "We're extensively trained and through our training you (learn to) protect your life and the lives of others," said Aurora police spokeswoman Sgt. Cassidee Carlson. "If an immediate threat presents itself, you have to deal with that threat -- and sometimes that means lethal force."

Neighbors said they knew little about the man and his family, who had moved into the home about a month ago. "They're just quiet," said neighbor Herby Arifin, adding that the family kept their "house blinds always closed, so we don't even know who they are, how many people live there." As is standard procedure in all officer-involved shootings, the officer who fired on the suspect was placed on administrative leave pending a department review of the incident, police said.

click click boom

ran across this article and was a bit unsure about how to feel.

On one hand the man was swinging a machete at police but it seems a bit disturbing that they entered his home and then shot him when he tried to defend his property.

it is a bit vague and I dont know the underlying circumstances. Man acts strangely, family member calls ambulance, man gets mad that they are there and wont leave so he chases them out with machete. They call cops. cops enter his home without permission he tries chasing them off for breaking into his home and gets shot.

Just kind of reeks of programming public opinion to allow unwanted guests in without a warrant. I do understand the reason but it seems kind of shady they can come in against your will and without a warrant and put bullets in your after you tell them to leave

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

I don't have any proof...but I think that the man in question may have been having a nervous breakdown; and in a state of unreality (that was real to him).

I do not think he should have been killed. They could have fired warning shots and/or given him a shoulder or leg wound and he still would be alive; and perhaps getting the mental health help that he obviously needed.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

The paramedics were invited into the home by a family member. While there, they were threatened with a deadly weapon. The man had a family, and at least one was in the home calling 911 after seeing the strange behavior.

The police get a call from the paramedics describing the incident at that the man was still in the house with at least one family member. I would think that "exigent circumstances" would apply here. Whoever else was in the home had to be protected and it had to be quick.

Then, coming at the police with a machete, while obviously highly emotional, pretty much guarantees a bullet (or twenty).

If the police had stood around outside while one of the family was chopped (presumably the one who called 911), their heads would roll and the city would be sued for elebentyzillion dollars.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

right I said I wasnt sure how to feel about this and that it was to vague to know for sure.

Why is this so called family member not mentioned any more than saying they phoned the police.

just seems a bit vague and borderline to me

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That is what I thought.

the paramedics were called to help the man

instead they cam and had him killed. there were much better ways of dealing with this situation

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Haven't those guys heard about tasers? This is a pretty good instance of when use of the taser seems most appropriate instead of a firearm, after all the guy was naked

Oh well, if the report is accurate and two officers were actually cut by the guy, then the shooting is justified.
At least the dead man got a piece of 'em before they blew him away.

ganjoa

top topics

join