It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America’s bid to blow up the moon with nuclear bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I found this very very interesting:

AMERICA planned to blow up the moon with a nuclear bomb in the 1950s, reports have claimed. US Military chiefs were reportedly keen on the sensational plot as a show of strength to intimidate arch-rivals Russia at the height of the Cold War. The secret project was codenamed A Study of Lunar Research Flights and given the nickname Project A119. The classified plan was to attach a nuclear device to a missile and launch it 238,000 miles to the moon. The bomb would then explode on impact and the flash could have been seen from earth. Physicist Leonard Reiffel told Associated Press that the plan was to "intimidate" the Russians and boost morale in America. A nuclear bomb was chosen because a hydrogen bomb, the most powerful in the US arsenal, would have been too heavy to fly to space. However the plan was ditched because of a number of fears over safety, including what effect the blast would have on the Earth. Scientist Carl Sagan was involved in the project and was responsible for calculating what would happen to the moon dust and debris if there was such an explosion.

Source:

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Now why do we think Iran should not have nukes, oh yea, we can't trust them!

But we are supposed to trust people who want to blow up the moon just to intimidate.

P

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

Posted 2 days ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I saw this headline in the daily mail the other day and just rolled my eyes.... The whole nuclear arsenal of earth detonated simultaneously would barely put a scratch on the moon.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

rather strange proposal that was but in name of seeing if water existed we did or tried
the videos below conflict

i thought we did hit the moon with one missle
www.youtube.com...

but what happened is questioned herein
www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

Two entirely different things, and no we did not attack the moon with a bomb to see if it had water. We used a spent part of the satellite that was there as it was of no use and would have caused enough ejecta to investigate.

Coh...

And they wanted to show off the nukes, I put as much expectation in them having actually had real intent to even go ahead with that plan as I do that god will come down and pick off the naughty people personally.

They probably didn't want to .. you know, blow up the actual moon.. I mean, the earth kinda depends on it.. tides and stuff..

"Take that Russia, We blew up the moon.. hey you guys, umm, earth, why you no happy ?"

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
"We used a spent part of the satellite that was there as it was of no use and would have caused enough ejecta to investigate."

At 7:31 a.m. ET, a 2.2-ton empty rocket shot from the LCROSS probe hit the crater Cabeus on the moon's south pole (more on the LCROSS mission's moon target).

Four minutes later LCROSS (Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite) performed its own kamikaze dive—the final act in its mission to detect evidence of water ice in the moon's shadowed craters.

from this source
news.nationalgeographic.com...

winofiend
by most of the account you are correct
i understand the "spent and no use part" was the "intended projectile"...a missile per se' according to this plan
as the satellite and empty rocket were 2 separate components
the satellite was intended observation only

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The mere fact that they even entertained the idea of blowing up the moon is... help me here... INSANE!!!
Will somebody please round up all insane people in power and put them in a rubber room so the rest of us can rest easy at night?!

top topics

join