It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predictive, on-demand service. (or why, IMHO, I think 5-Guys restaurants are going to be the de-fact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I was at a 5-Guys today in Boston, and was absolutely amazed at the level of service. These people have figured out the most important aspect of operating a fast food venue. They have designed it around the worst case scenario of feeding frenzy at the noon and dinner rush. This is where it all makes it or breaks it for most food chains.

I think that they use computer predictive algorithms to make sure that the right stuff is being cooked at the right time, so that you get your order as fast as possible. There are at least 20 people working in the room, and you can see them, and also the table boss that tells them what to do, and he/she is always looking at a monitor.

I got the best cheeseburger and fries that I have ever had, with over 50 people in line with me, moving fast. and after I ordered what I wanted and walked around the corner, my order was READY in about 15 seconds. Absolutely amazing, and I am speculating that they are using predictive methods to ensure this, because no-one, not Wendy's or Mac's or Burger King have ever been able to pull that off at rush times, except 5-Guys. And a better product to boot.
Amazing, and wonder if any other ATS'rs out there have noticed this.

edit on 27-11-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2012 by charlyv because: spelling where caught

And NO, I have nothing to do with this company, I just work in Boston for a FF500, and always looking for the best fast meal.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Very interesting....

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I only ate there once and I think their claim to fame was fresh ingredients...
The fries were too greasy but the burger I had was great. I had to wait about 5 min for my order when the rest of my party had their food. No problem waiting for food though. It's just how it is If you have someone else cooking for you.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Five guys is good, but no better than say In and Out (a so ca franchise)

And Ive actually found better hamburgers here in Portland .

Ill say this, it is damn good for a franchise, although I could do with smaller portions on the fries, having a Bag of fries to take home after your done with your meal is a bit much.

As for speed of service I have found them to take a little longer than normal for fast food, but considering the quality you get its good.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Love 5 guys. Great product and good service. I hope they keep up their standards but what typically happens is the place will be "purchased" by another burger company who will capitalize on the name and the reputation as long as he can while making changes back to ordinary happening so slowly people hardly notice.

I went to Europe last August and spent a few weeks eating "foreign" food which was great but first place I stopped when we landed was at a 5 guys for a CB and fries.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I consider my self a good observer of why things work the way they do, as it is a part of my job description. I have worked in Boston for years, and when we go out for food, we need it quick and obviously quality is an important issue.

This place has a different energy, and personally I think it is technology based, but also has a theatrical character as well since the workers yell so much to communicate amongst themselves to qualify orders. Operating a food venue in the Boston financial district is a challenge, and either you put up with the wait for quality, or you just get what you get.

In this place, I find both qualities.... fast as hell and great quality , and if you were to bet on a company being able to pull this off in Boston.... Well the flags go up, We are perhaps the most impatient of people.

Given a test amount of time, and the same service level... I would invest in this chain (as a franchise, since they are an LLC) without a doubt. Then have only been there a week, and the crowds get bigger every day, The definitive test will be after the holidays, but for what I have seen... this is a winner.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I've made a few posts on this forum about this chain, and while I didn't refer to them by name, it's exactly who I was referring to.

They offer fresh produce as garnishes on your burger, and offer an unlimited amount of what you want to dress your beef with. Top that off with some actually decent tasting fries that taste like real potatoes, and some smokey tasting meat, and you have a great combo.

I hope people start spending their $'s at burger chains like this so we can weed out the terrible franchises that have dominated the market. Their success is an actual good example of capitalism where demand has a play on supply.

Long live establishments that cater to their customers....

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
lol or you just took the wrong order, caught up in all that burgery excitement you took poor guys food who ordered 10 mins before you

but in all seriousness if thay can say drop 10 -20 burgers "all day" for rushs then keep a plus/minus count as orders come in ya know it can be done just gota taper down to cook to order at say 2;30
or it is a sweet algorithm lol
person x gender x size x time x sales week proir
edit on 28-11-2012 by jplaysguitar because: bacon burger

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I'm curious, is this one example of a well managed store? Or is it from their business model?

Any one else know about this restaurant? Are other's experience the same?

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Yeah they make decent burgers.

Still, this really feels like an "Ad" to me.

Sorry, just feels like a "plug".

X

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Absolutely amazing, and I am speculating that they are using predictive methods to ensure this, because no-one, not Wendy's or Mac's or Burger King have ever been able to pull that off at rush times, except 5-Guys. And a better product to boot.

According to the sitcom "Chuck" the US NSA is run in the back room of an "Orange Julius" LOL must have read the sign....

Wonder what a sitcom with British MI5 operating out of 5 guys would look like?

new topics

top topics

join