It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunger in America?? Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Why are people going hungry when the food resources are there just not getting to those who need them.....

"According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, approximately 40 percent of all food in America "is routinely thrown away by consumers at home, discarded or unserved at restaurants or left unharvested on farms."

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

Stopping waste of all edible food would be a good place to start feeding those in need.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Greed.

I mean we use corn to produce ethanol at an energy deficit but the profits are great.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EmeraldCityWanderer

I still can't figure out how we have super value menus with foods for $1 or less. And we can't afford to feed the people who REALLY need it. It's a friggin shame. Granted, the food on those menus may not be the most nutritious. But it beats rotten food from a dumpster any day.
edit on 11/27/1212 by 1MrMarc because: a

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmeraldCityWanderer
Why are people going hungry when the food resources are there just not getting to those who need them.....

Stopping waste of all edible food would be a good place to start feeding those in need.

ASK the people who make the laws.
The people who have made it illegal to give free food away to homeless. Even if they went through our dumpsters at the end of the night. IF they got the food out of the dumpster, they could not sue the company.
So it forces homeless to get their food out of the dumpster. Dumb ass law if you ask me personally.. always made me mad, and I gave them food, as at the end of the night, we had tons of homeless who where out back. This scared many of the girls here, they had to walk us out at the end of the night.
So I just boxed up some food and gave it to them, and told them.. Stay out of the dumpsters.. That got me fired.

I worked in a restraunt, where tons of food was thrown away at the end of the night. LOTS of food!

I had to sign a paper before I started, that stated, I understood it was illegal to give food away. So I knew I was breaking the rules.. I did not care.

It did not stop me, but I was turned in for this. As my manager said.. A lawyer could get his hands on one of these homeless people, pro bono them, and sue us for food posioning.

Go figure..

edit on 27-11-2012 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmeraldCityWanderer
"According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, approximately 40 percent of all food in America "is routinely thrown away by consumers at home, discarded or unserved at restaurants or left unharvested on farms."

I can't speak for restaurants..

I rarely if ever toss food out. It's only on those few occasions where I'm just not sure if it's still edible. When in doubt toss it out. I hate throwing food away.

I have a friend who runs the produce section at a Large Supermarket in a competitive area with three other markets nearby. They routinely toss funny looking or smaller than normal sized items out to maintain the illusion of offering better produce.

The market also routinely throws 2 day old bread out instead of giving it to the homeless to avoid any potential lawsuit in case somebody gets sick. Meanwhile, Where I lived previously in another State they passed a law that markets that donate food to soup kitchens and churches that will feed people that day cannot be held liable.

I think we as society need to get our act together and on the ball when so many people will walk or drive past a homeless starving person on their way to buy their pet some Gucci pet food.

edit on 27-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

I work as a technician in a large hotel, the amount of food thrown away everyday boggles my mind. Hotel clients over order every day and it gets tossed out if they don't eat it. Staff get first dibs on it but they can only consume so much and the rest goes in the bin. It is a legal problem apparently as to why the local shelters aren't allowed to distribute the overage as they can be sued. The hotel throws out enough food on a daily basis to feed fifty people to the point of being stuffed...That's just one hotel in North America out of thousands. If you have the coin, you have the food! Food shortage in my opinion is food mismanagement!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Also, theres plenty of mismanaged land that could be given to the homeless and they could grow theit own food on it for themselves. Why not? Of course that wouldnt work because most chronically homeless people are mentally ill. Ive known a few, one in partucular, picked dumpsters for food and got bottles to turn in for money (10 cent deposit in mi), guess what he did with the money? Bought beer. hell i returned his bottles once and bought him beer...he was banned from the store for picking dumpsters. Wtf?

I was homeless at one point. I never really socialized with the bums but theyre almost all mentally ill and have no one that gives a damn for them. Its sad and its totally unneccessary. The normal people like myself find a way out of it.....

I know one homeless guy thats fat. Wtf?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I worked at a starbux and every night I closed I would take home bags of pastries and sandwiches that were just going to be tossed out. They charge something like $3 for each gimpy piece of muffin loaf. Sometimes it seems as if the people with the means simply don't care.

edit on 27-11-2012 by LizardSlicks because: edit

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Food is thrown away true enough because of regulation, and the fact someone eats gets sick they get to sue.

And that is the way it is.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I live in an incorporated American city that has contracts with the local grocery stores, enabling them to receive dated food, which they then redistribute to citizens through a "bread line."

This is a U.S. government program, and like most U.S. government operations the sheer waste is unbelievable. Every week I search through their dumpsters, finding hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of food that's perfectly safe to eat.

Here is an image of someones dumpster haul, my weekly hauls are quite similar.

I'd like to thank America's corrupt dumbass politicians for the free lunch.

Who needs food stamps? Not me!

F.T.G.

edit on 28-11-2012 by seasoul because: "Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Gandhi

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
lawyers and lawmakers have done for feeding the hungry what Snookie has done for quality tv.

2nd

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
lawyers and lawmakers have done for feeding the hungry what Snookie has done for quality tv.

2nd

That is saying something

And

Rawrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the bunny is back

new topics

join