It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Want to Make a Difference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
To some, this may sound very self indulgent but to others I am hoping you will agree with my point. I have no stand out talent, like a heavenly voice or Johnny Depp like acting skills. I also have not had the priviledged upbringing that may lead me to be a great politician. My voice is small in the crowd of millions, I have no loudspeaker to get my point accross. You catch my drift by now, I class myself as just one of many hidden in the crowd, so how can I make a difference on a global scale? If I could sing, I could sing about the injustices of the financial system and get my point accross to millions potentially facilitating a movement. If I could act I could get my point accross to m illions on screen much like Charlie Chaplin did at the end of his career.

But the rality is that I have nothing that makes me stand out from the crowd. But I want to make that difference, I yearn to make that difference. To get an audience with our leaders and bring them to task on why they are making life harder for the poor or being successful enough that I can redristribute my wealth to those that need it. But this will never be the case so what is the point of my existence. Probably no point at all.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Hello Micheal.

I have seen the video several times.

I think we can make a difference regardless

S&F

SS
edit on 063030p://pm3042 by Spike Spiegle because: S&F

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mycomputer

You are indeed a new member, if you want the right to voice your thoughts, you must be ready to respect other points of view and debate them.

Name calling wont get you anywhere

Debating your point with strong words and a clear mind, that will win you much more

SS

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Ok thanks. my mistake.

No offense op.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I think everyone makes at least a small difference and so there is always a point to our existence even if it isn't apparent to us.

I understand what you are saying though, wanting to do more than you feel your means/talent/whatever else is capable of. I think speak out on what you feel is important as much as possible and maybe do some sort of volunteer work even, if you want to feel that you are doing something really tangible.

The most important thing to me is that you want to make a difference, some people couldn't care less so that speaks a lot to where your heart is

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
In order to make a difference to the people you mentioned as the ones you want to be your audience, first you must sell your soul to them.

They do not listen to people just because they have talent. They listen to people who have joined their club.

Once you join the club, you've lost just about any chance you might have had at making a difference, on that scale.

Now, making a difference is easy...find a worthy cause, put your nose to the grind stone, and look up the moment before you leave this world and behold the changes and the drastic difference you made in the people or cause for which you worked so hard to influence.

Don't envy the wealthy blow hards that are propped up as successful, most are insecure addicts with no self asteem.

Real difference makers are never showboating their accomplishments.

~Rev

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Yes you are right, I need to focus on the things I can change rather than the things I cannot. You see the thing is the whole world situation has been getting me down recently and I know I can do little to change it. I am going to admit that I have become a little teary tonight and have been very self reflective. I feel I have been walking around in a bubble the last few days, I thought I was on a road to make things better in my life but things haven't gone my way and I am left with another month of struggling to just exist. I look around and I see this same pain in people's eyes that I see in the street, it is not just me there are many out there. I just wish I could wave a magic wand and fix things for everybody but I can't, I am not even sure at how good I am at fixing things for myself, never mind others. I want things to change, I want people to feel better and above all I want to stop seeing people being taken advantage of. This world is currently making me very sad and I could not care less right now if my world ended, but the show must go on and I need to take this hardship as a challenge to beat rather than a barrier to defeat. If only I could stay true to my words.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I believe I have posted this twice, but it is the most significant thing I've ever read outside of the Bible.

It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which,if you say it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare.

All day long we are, in some degree helping each other to one or the other of these destinations.

It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilites, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all of our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal.

Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.
C.S. Lewis

Help when and where you can. Helping a person to get away from hatred, anger, or despair is a greater, longer lasting, good than anything else you could ever do.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I fear i may be being a little self indulgent with this post as It's quite a personal thing that greatly inspired me but might not move overs in the same way as it has a lot of personal worth attached to it for me but........

When my daughter was 7 she was diagnosed with cancer.....she is now in remission and is expected to remain so ( I wanted to make that good news clear at the start) But at the age of 7 and faced with her own mortality at such a young age she gave many things lot's of thought way beyond her years.She was struggling with the idea of if her life had made a difference....this was the conclusion she came to totally independently......

"if all anybody did in life was pick up a large rock and throw it as far in one direction as they possibly could they have changed the face of the earth forever" Her comment had me thinking for quite a while and i came to several conclusions about her insight which i wont bore you with but it encouraged me greatly.

This thread also reminds me about the story i heard about the boy on the beach who was trying to save hundreds of starfish stranded on a beach.His father asked his son why he was bothering as there were too many to save and how could he possibly make a difference......at which point the boy picked up a starfish and threw it back into the sea and told his father " to that starfish I just made all the difference"
Sometimes there is great wisdom in childlike thinking

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Hey nice post, you sure are making them count
Loved the starfish story

OP:

I know how you feel. I want to make a difference too. and if I keep putting off doing something until I get my stuff together that will never happen.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I know exactly what you mean about the world getting you down and I also know what it feels like to struggle just to survive. I know how pointless life can seem and how disappointing setbacks are. Sometimes you think you are getting just a little ahead and then you find yourself 2 steps back. It hurts even more when you look around and realize that so many of us are hurting.

It's so hard to do with all the negativity but we have to try our best to see the good whenever we can. We have to find a reason to value ourselves and our lives and like you said to focus on what we can change. Just remember you aren't alone and try to keep hope. If you need to talk, I'm here.

top topics

join