It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.-Backed Iraqi Troops Raid Mosul Mosque

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   

MOSUL, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraqi forces backed by U.S. troops left a mosque they were raiding for suspected insurgents in Mosul on Friday after coming under fire, witnesses said.
They said American troops and Iraqi National Guards had surrounded a mosque in the northern city during the Friday midday prayer sermon and broken the gate of the compound.

A U.S. military spokesman said 106 Iraqi National Guards had conducted the raid and no U.S. forces had entered the mosque.

"There were no U.S. forces within two city blocks," Lieutenant Colonel Paul Hastings said. "U.S. participation was restricted to the outer cordon."

Earlier the preacher, Sheikh Rayan Tawfiq, said that unarmed worshippers had prevented U.S. and Iraqi forces from entering the mosque itself.

He told Reuters by telephone the American troops sparked an uproar when they entered the women's section of the mosque.

A U.S. military statement later said the National Guards had detained suspected bomb-makers in the mosque.

"As the (National Guard) soldiers were searching the mosque, terrorists fired small arms, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars at them," the statement said, adding that one civilian had been slightly wounded.

Witnesses said the soldiers later withdrew, amid jubilation among the worshippers inside the mosque.
www.reuters.com.../GetContent§ion=news

I guess we aren't being shy about invading mosks now. Or maybe it's becuase we were only supporting the Iraqi military invading their own mosk.

uge

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Funny how people get upset that Iraqi military personel enter a mosque to get extremist. But don't get upset at the extremist ("Terrorist") who use them and the mosque as a "shield" while they mount offensive actions from within.

Can't people see that extremist will use, do and say "anything" to achieve there goals.

The world must remember that everyone is on the "# list", it's just a matter of ranking and priority.

I watched a documentary by a Canadian reporter. She was interviewing Iraqi people about the post Saddam era. One woman said that lawless example. the raping of women was forcing women to stay at home and travel in packs. She blamed the US for the lawlessness in her neighbourhood. She also stated that the US occupiers should take responsibility and fix the lawlessness. As a last question the reporter asked if the US occupiers should leave. The woman said "Yes. Out with the US occupiers".

From watching this interview, I scratched my head and thought what school of logic did she go to? As a girlfriend of mine use to say "You can't suck and blow at the same time."

join