It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestine's future lies in negotiations with Israel, not UN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

BARRING a last-minute change of heart, tomorrow the UN General Assembly will vote on upgrading Palestine's representation in the forum to the status of non-member "observer state".

On these pages, former foreign minister Gareth Evans (November 24) encouraged Washington, and by implication Australia, to support the measure.

Evans notes, correctly, that the resolution will certainly pass, given the automatic pro-Palestinian majority in the General Assembly, and that it contains little extreme language.

Yet no matter how you sugar-coat it, this resolution is a poison pill for the peace process. It should not be supported by any country that supports the creation of an independent Palestinian state living in peace alongside a secure Israel.
L ink

Before I continue i want to make note of the source beyond it being an Australian post

Mark Leibler AC is national chairman of the Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council.

I found this article quite disturbing in light of the upcoming decision in the UN regarding the status of Palestine.

The PR campaign is certainly being waged from both sides, however it seems the sources in support of Israel's position have made a global effort to describe Palestine's current attempt to gain recognition from the UN as, to coin a term from the article, poison .

I find it ironic that Israel, who has repeatedly disregarded the rulings of the UN and the ICJ (International Court of Justice) does now wants the UN to refuse Palestine, to apparently solidify peace....

I also find it ironic that Israel would care because as previously mentioned they have disregarded UN rulings before, why would it be any different with Palestine involved? I guess it is just a case of a fly in the ointment

I wonder what will happen if Yassar Araphat is proven to have been poisoned? I presume it will sour any further talks.

As with all articles pertaining to this issue, take it with a grain of salt.

edit on 27-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I'm happy for Palestine as they will probably gain their status. What worries me is what will the Israeli response be? Both the US and Israel have claimed that there will be consequences if they go forward with this bid.

Here is another piece of information that pissed me off:

The US and Israel have opposed the UN application, insisting only direct talks on a peace accord can produce an accord that will create a Palestinian state.

A successful vote could cost the United Nations money, as US law prohibits funding to international bodies that recognise a Palestinian state.

About $US200 million ($A191 million) in development aid to the Palestinian Authority is currently blocked in the US Congress, and State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that could also be at risk.

"Obviously, if they take this step it's going to complicate the way the Congress looks at the Palestinians," Ms Nuland told a briefing.

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

This is more proof of how much Israel controls the United States foreign policy,

Why on earth would the US have a law that prohibits funding to international bodies that recognise a Palestinian state.

This leaves me speechless.

ETA:

I do not see it in your link so I will mention that the draft for their bid has been submitted

edit on 11/27/2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

As always CE, thank you for your reply and your insight.

Both the US and Israel have claimed that there will be consequences if they go forward with this bid

Yes, I recall they making such claims, though within the international context I am not to sure what else they could do Gaza, sanctions?haha, Gaza has been on locked down for so long.

I can only infer the consequences the US and Israel have mentioned are directed at the supports of Palestine's bid.

This is more proof of how much Israel controls the United States foreign policy,

I wonder how much of this is influence, or policy makers wanting to not flip flop on foreign policy and commitments?

I to hope Palestine gains membership, it can act as some kind of limited inhibitor in the least for foreign nations imposing their will on the country.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
That would be like asking a rape victim to 'sort it out' with the rapist tho, surely?

The whole thing is wrong.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
If Palestines future depends on negotiations with Israel, they have no future at all

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
That would be like asking a rape victim to 'sort it out' with the rapist tho, surely?

The whole thing is wrong.

That's a great, but horribly valid analogy.

Or how about.

It does not make sense for a victim of bullying to settle on conditions determined by their bully.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

My guess is that the consequences will be more illegal settlements to be built in the West Bank, perhaps they will completely annex all of West Bank?

This is just speculation on my behalf but they have threatened this before.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by MDDoxs

My guess is that the consequences will be more illegal settlements to be built in the West Bank, perhaps they will completely annex all of West Bank?

This is just speculation on my behalf but they have threatened this before.

I would agree that is a distinct possibility.

However, such an act would inflame the Arab league, as well as their supporters. So I certainly hope that event will not transpire as it could lead to more widespread ramifications.

I am of the belief, that any prospect of trade would be non existent, as the consequences that have been mentioned. I hope

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka
If Palestines future depends on negotiations with Israel, they have no future at all

I agree, you can expect Palestine, especially with Hamas in charge, not to risk the future of their country in the hands of Israel, as they are currently chipping away at their territory with new settlements.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The United Nations, made up of every nation on Earth and supported by all, had already LONG made a decision on Palestine. It was back in 1948 - A two state solution.

As the jews claimed the land, so too does palestinain arabs. Unfortunately, back then, while Israel agreed, the arabs did not, and demanded the ENTIRE land area as belonging solely to them, with genocide upon the jews. It was no mere threat, but actual civil wars and supported by other arabs in the region to exterminate the jews.

Israel held up, and majority of the arab world had negotiated for peace. Only the palestinian refugees remained.

Israel had given back much of the lands abandoned by the warring arab armies for peace.

After the Oslo accords, the lands as designated and supported by the world had been given back to the Palestinain IN RETURN for peace.

Yassar Arafat was a great man in his latter years, when he saw the years of furtility of terrorism and destruction, and finally acknowledge Israel as a Nation. Unfortunately, his views was not shared by many, and saw only his own death, and some claimed he was assasinated.

His organisation - PLO continued his dream - the freedom for his people. Because of him, Israel handed over West Bank and Gaza back. Unfortunately and yet very very strange, a group that claimed to adore Arafat, support him, YET, had broke away from his recognisation of Israel and chosed to continue the policy of 'Death to Jews'.

This group is Hamas, funded by Iran and had only ensured that there will NOT be peace with Israel and that the palestinians remain canon fodder, never knowing a peaceful life.

Who truly murdered Arafat, the leader who finally wanted peace with Israel?

As long as the palestinian continues to want death to all jews and demand the entire land mass instead of sharing it, Israel will not support the independence of Palestine. No nation will want a neighbour whom only seeks your death as a way to live.

Thus, the need to keep West Bank and Gaza under self rule instead of independence, so that a lasting peace can be obtained for both to co-exist before independence of Palestine.

Majority of the world supports the 2 state solution, for both the jews and palestinians were the then indigenous people living there. As they cannot live with each other, with civil wars in townships both cutting each other throats, the partition was the best solution, the way it did for India and Pakistan, so that no more lives be lost.

Israel will recognize the 2 state solution, so too its supporters, PROVIDED the policy of 'death to jews' end.

As long as Hamas wishes death upon jews and palestinians, there will be little support for independence, and those whom support the indedepence right now without Hamas backing down is only further supporting the bloodshed that will occur. Some world leaders will act like fools publically, but all of them at heart are not fools and knows what is at stake, despite the antics, crocodile tears and chest thumping by Hamas.

May the PLO/Fatah and the free palestinian people control Hamas to behave responsibly, and not be dogs to Iran, who prefers the bloodshed continues so that sunnis will not focus on shias. Palestinians have a right to statehood, but it must show that it will be a responsible contributing member sharing our world, and not by contributing war upon neighbour.

It is time for this selfish small minority group Hamas to grow up, end the aggression and let the majority of palestinians know peace and independence for once. They had suffered enough.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is not poison to the peace process. In reality, Netanyahu doesn't care so much about Palestine obtained non-member observer status. It doesn't grant them any sweeping powers. The General Assembly is essentially a powerless organ of the United Nations.

What Israel does seem to care about is stalling the peace process so they can continue to expand settlements and gradually annex areas of Palestine. As such, Israel's opposition to this UNGA bid is simply a tactic used to avoid peace. Plain and simple.

new topics

top topics

join