It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA says Mars discovery isn't 'earthshaking' after all

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Never A Straight Answer doing what it does best, build us up with PR gimmicks only for a climactic buzkill as if it is a legitimate agency, NASA is no longer relevant imho. We need to scrap it down to it's core and get to the meat and potatoes we have been deprived of such forbidden knowledge. You cant fool me twice NASA shame on you! We are on a need to know basis, thanks for all the peanuts NASA. A monumental waste of taxpayer money

You are such a tease !

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time - Abraham Lincoln
edit on 26-11-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ok - Spoiler Alert: The NASA scientists have an unusual photograph to share with the public. Here is a copy of the leaked image that is going to be made public on December 3rd: The image was actually intercepted from the long-defunct Spirit Rover and relayed through Curiosity...

edit on 11/26/2012 by Outrageo because:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
NASA is a joke. I'd cut funding off completely.. Seperate NASA from JPL, and fund THEM. They seem to be making headway anyways.. Nasa is pretty much dead now..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Looks like the government or some private investor got their hands on this one.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
over promise, under deliver. Planetary scientists get excited easily by stuff that's boring to most people.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I didn't believe what the scientist said anyway, I always get very dissappointed when I have been eager about hearing some earth shattering thing and it turns out it's really lame and stupid and wasn't nearly earth shattering at all....in the least bit.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

Indeed. I think NASA has been trolling us for quite some time, they keep making dubious claims of earth shattering breaking news to come like WAIT FOR IT!.... tick tock tick tock aaaand ....

Hey we would like to officially announce that we speculate the feasible possibility of frozen water particles in a crater up yonder please pay attention to us pleeeaaaase! We need more funding Mericuh!

Sixty plus years and NASA has not produced, yet little grey men are buzzing our skies giving people joy rides and such, even from a skeptical stand point regarding UFO's and alien visitation you gotta admit the level of secrecy here at home on planet htraE / Earth extends to Mars and beyond. It just irks me they could be so unprofessional as to keep producing these PR stunts and yet we give NADA absurd amounts of cash and employ so much energy and time to drive RC cars around on Mars like some video game.

People are starving and dying, losing homes, killing each other over dinosaurs slime ect

But hey NASA has good news again lol , no wait oh never mind again it's just swamp gas

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Methane found

Thats what news guy George knapp said, sunday night on the radio (he got from insider) they found after all -didn't find 1st try.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Anyone who'd actually been paying attention, rather than letting thei imaginations get away with them would have already known that this was not "earthshaking".

Consider this, from when we first learnt of it...

He did break down and tell his family. "I remember at the dinner table with great excitement explaining to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Bethany, what it was we were doing," says Zare.
And then he experienced something many parents can relate to when talking to their kids. "Bethany looked at me and said, 'pass the ketchup.'
So, not everybody was as excited as I was," he says.

npr

So... exciting to scientists, not to the general population.
This was told to us last week.
By NASA.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
NASA is not looking for aliens
Remember that!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Given their ever shrinking budget I would think it more likely they would release proof of life info as soon as it was confirmed.

Very few people bitched about the NASA budget in the 60's, they wanted to beat those russkies to space.

I'm torn, I want exploration to expand, but think private industry should be taking the lead with help from NASA.

When 2 dozen guys can do what NASA does from an old airstrip for pennies on the dollar (if not less than a penny per dollar) you have an interesting problem. NASA has become bloated and top heavy, it needs a revamp.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
my vote is also for news reporters embellishing to sell a story. Happens all the time.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

posted on 23/11/2012 @ 01:15 this post Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Team Reportedly Will Reveal Major Discovery In December

Here we go again.... this announcement was probably made by a scientist before it went up the chain of command.

If this discovery is in conflict with TPTB interests the announcement will be about something lame like... yes, we found a rock that is also common on Earth...

Told you so...

PS Not off-site info.
edit on 26/11/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
NASA is not looking for aliens
Remember that!

And you know this because.......?

sec.line.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I believe they are hiding something that is already there. For example, Us. If I'm wrong, which I hope I am, then Mars already has a livable surface. Going off another story, it says that we are already there, we have a city there, or even of a civilization.

I don't know the entire details other than it's from a report called "Fire from the Sky"

If all planets are habitable, wouldn't you want to go there now?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I find it odd that they're walking the hype back a week+ after the initial "one for the history books" announcement.
You'd think if it was "no big deal" someone would have made such a corrective statement no later than a day after.
But to throw a bone like that to the public and then a week later they're walking it back?

Seems like they gauged the publics initial reaction and found that their announcement just wasn't ready for the public. People got too excited too quickly, which could make the wrong people too anxious.

An announcement such as proof of life on the planet would shake (for example) the religious institutions to it's core. A lot of people would be reeling if they found out their books were full of #.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Why would NASA schedule a news conference weeks in advance just to announce something that's "interesting"? Wouldn't a simple press release suffice?

Most likely they need time to embellish the story of some minor discovery. After all, this is how managers keep their jobs. Our Walmart manager invents new isle configurations every few months to make him look good and worth his salary & retention.

Billions of dollars to roam Mars is exciting for a few news cycles. But after a couple hundred pictures and soil samples of the same red sky and red dirt, the frivolousness of this huge financial expenditure starts to set in.

We (mankind) should divert the NASA money to finding alternative ways for traveling the universe. Even the Star Trek ships didn't have the speed to leave the galaxy....let alone visit the millions of galaxies outside our own. Perhaps the human mind or spirit is the way to explore truly unique and exciting venues in the universe. Now that's something to get excited about, because it wouldn't take thousands of years of baby-step testing and learning, like we're now engaged in.
-cwm

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
They found a coin on mars
edit on 27-11-2012 by 11I11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Philosophile

NASA has been known to conceal information from us.

For example?

The use of Optic Fibers in the image's equipment of the Apollo missions.
This means that Nasa have more detailed images/footages of the Moon...

For example.

On topic: NASA MUST, release some huge discovery on Mars, as soon as possible.

Otherwise... The NASA programs crashed and fail. Budget seizure is just behind the corner...

Other powerful competitors on the horizon. And they walk very, very fast.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Shades of Roswell!

This is all very irrational. I don't actually expect any "earth shattering" news to ever come out of NASA. They are still perceived as the American citizen's government-funded space exploration organization - one of the few governmental organizations that truly serves towards the advancement and betterment of human kind. The truth is they are an arm of the military-industrial complex and private interests and the façade of "the people's space program" is merely a convenient cover. In this war-obsessed, greedfest of an economy I can be sure that the investigation of rocks and minerals on other planets is not something any government would put a dime into. On the other hand there is no end to the government's ability to waste money on meaningless things such as the legendary "how fast does ketchup ooze downhill" experiments.

Shades of Roswell because somebody was ready to spill the beans far more significant, and then somebody higher up the power structure food chain came in and let them know they crossed a line. So now it's a weather balloon.

Anyone else have a thoughtful idea of motive behind releasing statements of the sort they did and then back peddling this way?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join