It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Speculate on Top-Secret Mars Rover Discovery

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Solid evidence of current, or maybe even of past life on Mars, would put NASA in clover, both in prestige, and funding. Fortunately, the dust storm that some were worried would grow and either damage Curiosity, or at least interfere with its work is apparently waning.link to article on storm:
edit on 1-12-2012 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2012 by Ross 54 because: added link

edit on 1-12-2012 by Ross 54 because: improved punctuation

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
when organic molecules are found...the next hurdle will be to prove the remains were indigenous to Mars...

because there is still the not too extreme theory that a water Planet called Vulcan exploded by outgassing
and sloshed It's once barren moon (now the planet Mars) with all of the exploding planets lifeforms, fossils, and oceans of water.

All those resources were quickly stripped off the barren globe due to a lack of a sustainable atmosphere

I feel their are Truths to the myths & primal stories which mankind passed down within Its DNA memory

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
For anyone wishing to hear and see tomorrow's presentation at the American Geophysical Union, of what the Curiosity rover has discovered on Mars.: It will be shown live on the following site at 9 a.m. Pacific time, Noon Eastern time, 17 hours Universal Time (GMT): link

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Thanks Ross. Seems the official word is that it won't be anything major, that all of this is over blown media reaction to half a sentence... 'for the history books'.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Sucks.

I always have my hopes up, when it comes to new discovery's.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Eh don't let it bring you down... someday it will happen. Plus though it may seem mundane the things being discovered on Mars are like puzzle pieces that what we could only guess the shape up previously... now they're actual pieces we can start putting together. Don't forget about Mercury's little foray into the spotlight this week also

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

off topic but thought id share
oak.ctx.ly...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Thanks that's pretty neat.

Just finished watching the presentation and unfortunately it was not 'earth shaking' (he never said that turns out) anyway it's all very scientifically exciting stuff. The biggest part for the team though, what they're so excited about is two fold... 1) The rover is working exceptionally well, they've now thoroughly tested all their analytic instruments and are fully confident they will be getting clean data through them. 2) The sample of surface soil because it is the top layer that blows all over the planet can now be considered a global sample. It's now their template for known make up of martian soil. This will help in determining if other samples will be mundane or extraordinary. It's important and exciting just not in the sense that

OMG WE FOUND LIFE

would have been.

I'm hoping a poster with some much deeper knowledge of science, especially geo or chemical, can help break down into lay terms what the global sample is exactly.

Groetzinger did address his 'for the history books statement' and said he realizes he needs to be more careful with his words in the future.

The whole team did reiterate that they do feel they will find something extraordinary on Mars, but that we need to be patient.

ETA: Oh and they did find simple organics.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

...I'm hoping a poster with some much deeper knowledge of science, especially geo or chemical, can help break down into lay terms what the global sample is exactly.

Groetzinger did address his 'for the history books statement' and said he realizes he needs to be more careful with his words in the future.

The whole team did reiterate that they do feel they will find something extraordinary on Mars, but that we need to be patient.

ETA: Oh and they did find simple organics.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

While I don't have a deep knowledge of biology/geology, what I know about it is that life prefers "light" organic compounds. They have found "heavy" organic compounds.

One of the scientists at the press conference mentioned that if light organics (or even organics due to past life on Mars) were ever present, they could have been the first things stripped away with Mars' atmosphere.

Finding ancient life-related organics is hard to do -- even on Earth.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks, ya I figure it's not gonna be a simple matter of 1st scoop and eureka though I admit I was hoping so lol. Maybe they'll find something once they start drilling into rocks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join