It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-filling waterbottle announced!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mycomputer
After reading most of the replies I agree with this thought. Maybe on a small scale there wouldn't be an effect but on a large scale there would have to be some effect. If there are millions or a billion of these bottles sucking moisture from the air we'll all be living in a desert or a swamp. Can you shut it off? Better not to mess with mother nature.

Water doesn't leave the Earth. Where do you think all the water would go? Water is created through the combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen, the water all around us in the air comes from condensation, evaporation and precipitation, it's not going anywhere.

Your concerns are akin to being worried that boiling too many kettles at once will dry out our planet. It turns to steam, which enters the atmosphere, and is then recycled...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by daaskapital

I am looking it differently than you.
If everyone had one and pulled the water out of the air,would we have less rain and more drought??

To every action,there is a reaction.

Also,if it creates condensation from air I think thats good,if it takes water from the air than I think that is bad.
I am thinking creating condensation is how this works but I only skimmed the article.
edit on 26-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

I think it would be ok as long as we didn't just keep all the water sucked from the air sealed in cotainers for ever.
If we did that,eventually there would be a major global drought-but if we used the water like we normally do,to drink,wash etc-then no problems,because the water is still being cycled,the same way it is if we were to drink from a river/lake.
I don't think this invention would harm the ecosystems of the world,even if everyone had a bottle or two.
We still would be essentially re using the same water,as we do now,if you see what I mean.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

After reading most of the replies I agree with this thought. Maybe on a small scale there wouldn't be an effect but on a large scale there would have to be some effect. If there are millions or a billion of these bottles sucking moisture from the air we'll all be living in a desert or a swamp. Can you shut it off? Better not to mess with mother nature.

Water doesn't leave the Earth. Where do you think all the water would go? Water is created through the combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen, the water all around us in the air comes from condensation, evaporation and precipitation, it's not going anywhere.

Your concerns are akin to being worried that boiling too many kettles at once will dry out our planet. It turns to steam, which enters the atmosphere, and is then recycled...

Ok I agree water merely changes form but if you suck enough moisture from the air there won't be enough left to cause it to rain. We are still going to need rain.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I am looking it differently than you.
If everyone had one and pulled the water out of the air,would we have less rain and more drought??

To every action,there is a reaction.

Also,if it creates condensation from air I think thats good,if it takes water from the air than I think that is bad.
I am thinking creating condensation is how this works but I only skimmed the article.
edit on 26-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

I don't think that would be the case.. the moisture in the air gets recycled anyway.. forms clouds, rains... evaporates, forms clouds.. rains.. we tend to drink it or use it at one stage or another anyway..

Considering how much water is on this planet, and given that it's the most abundant resource on earth.. I think we'll be ok
.. even the ocean water gets filtered out in this process..

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Ok I agree water merely changes form but if you suck enough moisture from the air there won't be enough left to cause it to rain. We are still going to need rain.

Again - I don't think that's possible.. even if everyone on the planet had one of these bottles.. Rain doesn't just come from fresh water sources or ambient moisture, it comes from evaporation in the ocean, evaporation of any source of water really.. even your sweat .. there's more water on this planet than we could ever consume.. and even when we consume it, it just returns back to the environment eventually in one form or another.
edit on 11/27/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I can finally stop filling my budgies water they can have a dish that will be infinitive.

Now all thats left is seed from thin air and avian vet supply's.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Came in to read what kind of joke
a Self-fulfilling water-bottle was.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Some of the rain that falls here has much higher than background radiation levels.

I wouldn't want to keep drinking water that pings a geiger counter too much. We have too many nuclear reactors belching into Earth's atmosphere and too many hot particles in the air for this device to be marketable.

FDA wouldn't let it reach the US market.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Some of the rain that falls here has much higher than background radiation levels.

I wouldn't want to keep drinking water that pings a geiger counter too much. We have too many nuclear reactors belching into Earth's atmosphere and too many hot particles in the air for this device to be marketable.

FDA wouldn't let it reach the US market.

This isn't rain water .. it's condensation .. it's also pure since you're literally pulling individual water molecules from the air.. it would be very similar to steam distillation where you heat up water and collect the steam as a purification method.. separating the water molecule from contaminants .. the FDA won't block it .. you can build a similar system with a bowl and some plastic wrap.. it's a survival technique taught even to boy scouts =)

It's a very simple process.. even the sweat on the side of your plastic water bottle or can of ice cold soda is a similar principle.. it's been used for ages as a way to get drinking water in survival situations =) .. the difference is that this bottle does it in a much more efficient way..

See these instructions for making a "Solar Still" ..

www.education.com...

They are using water to speed up the process and adding salt just as an experiment to prove that the water that comes from the plastic is desalinated .. so pure and clean.. =) in reality you don't need water, or salt.. you just need the plastic, a rock and something to catch the water in .. leave it sit and in about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the humidity.. you'll have about half a cup of pure clean water from the air.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

I think it would be ok as long as we didn't just keep all the water sucked from the air sealed in cotainers for ever.
If we did that,eventually there would be a major global drought

Even that is horribly unlikely .. most of the water in the atmosphere comes from the oceans and lakes .. as well as evaporating from the ground and many other things.. considering the earth is covered mostly with water, it would take some MASSIVE containers full before it would make a dent.. =)

Water is our most abundant resource.. the only issue we have is obtaining FRESH .. clean water.. something like this would be wonderful for areas that don't have access to that kind of thing..

The only problem here that I could see is that your local utility company might not be happy if you're able to produce 3 liters an hour.. collect enough through the day with several of these things and you can fill your tub each day with water from the air .. lowering your water bill

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is a very cool invention and could change the game for hikers, soldiers, etc.

Now if someone could only invent a stillsuit:

Fremen stillsuit

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

This is not the same technology, but a similar idea (circa 2006):
www.wired.com - Making Water From Thin Air...

"I was pretty blown away by the things it's able to do," Rowe said. "The fact that this technology is not tied to humidity like others are makes it an attractive alternative for military bases in the Mideast where humidity is not really an option.

"It seems like it's a cheaper alternative to trucking in bottled water, which has a shelf life," said Rowe, who described himself as a fiscal hawk.

Once deployed, the machines could reduce the cost of logistical support for supplying water to the troops in Iraq by billions of dollars, said Stuart Roy, spokesman of the DCI Group, Aqua Sciences' public affairs firm.

The cost to transport water by C-17 cargo planes, then truck it to the troops, runs $30 a gallon. The cost, including the machines from Aqua Sciences, will be reduced to 30 cents a gallon, Roy said.

Several systems on the market can create water through condensation, but the process requires a high level of humidity.

I was just thinking my socks at the end of the day collect a lot of moisture. Sometimes I wonder if I could squeeze em at the end of the day and collect the water for plants. J/k.

For that matter, why can't I filter my peeeeeeeee?
edit on 27-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You guys are not thinking far enough ahead ... image when (if) this process is perfected and then somehow engineered into the human body! You'd never need to drink, ever.

There's a sci-fi story in there somewhere...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm thirsty mom......Ricky, you still need to wait another week for the water to get done. How many of these bottles do we need to buy?

When you buy 200 bottles at the incredibly low price of 9.95 each. we'll double your order, just pay separate shipping and handling charges.
That's four hundred bottles for the low low price of $1990.00 plus S&H

I'll make a still and plant potatoes.
edit on 27-11-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Hopefully TPTB are not bringing on change which makes water the new oil. That way these fine young businesmen can solve the water problem in third world countries by giving these bottles away for (practically) free.

An other unfortunate event will be that these fine young businesmen will crash in a plane and their invention miraculously with them.

(Yes. No, I do not have much fate in so called fair play and wonderful solutions for problems on a global scale)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ya know.. this technology has TONS of applications.

Think anything that uses water. A swamp cooler, car batteries, water for cooling engines, water towers for chiller systems this list is endless. No having to dig a well from an aquifer for home water needs ( cities would not like this because the charge you for the use of water from a well)

This idea really does have the potential to revolutionize our way of life and there could be some serious opponents of this who make money off of water.

I'm stating to see these guys getting killed much more realistically now. It would be the same if you suddenly invented a free electricity device.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This would be revolutionary. But like most revolutionary ideas these days, they never come to fruition because they conflict the interests of large, rich corporations who want to keep things the way they are - costly and inefficient.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

.....please tell me you're joking. Condensation IS taking water from the air...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
if this water bottle is successful I feel it should only be used in emergency kits...like in case of emergency where water can not be accessed.

It should not be used as the "new trendy way to drink water" as another member stated,mass use of this tool could have devastating effects on Earth for all we know.

but as a emergency tool,this would be a epic for survival

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

It would not cause drought because what goes in must come out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join