It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-filling waterbottle announced!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is what I call “humanly possible” technology.

If is true and it is really workable project then it would be a great tool for the future planetary terraforming, planets like Mars in long run would have accessible water with this technology.

Great find S&F and congrats to the developers.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

not enough info to get excited
3 liters an hour
what exactly is involved to produce this amount?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I think condensation is synonymous with "water from the air". If condensation forms on a glass of iced tea that water came from the air.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

edit on 26-11-2012 by OMsk3ptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Think of what you are implying by saying 'create out of thin air'. The water cannot be created, it must only be moved from one state to another. It will only work if there is water vapor in the air, so the cup would fill faster in Florida than in Arizona. In your case it would work in the vacuum of space.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Biomimicry is the term given to using nature as an inspiration for sustainable technology ideas, and a young company has joined the biomimicry brigade with its prototype self filling water bottle, which mimics the Namib desert beetle. NBD Nano, a startup of four graduates with degrees in biology, organic chemistry, and mechanical engineering, hopes to bring their prototype to market. They say that, like this beetle, their bottle can pull water from the air. Their self-filling water bottle is said to be capable of storing up to three liters every hour.

"We have developed a proof of concept and [are] currently creating our first fully-functional prototype," Miguel Galvez, one of the co-founders, said.

"We realize that water is such a large issue in the world today, and we want to try to alleviate those problems with a cost-efficient solution," said Deckard Sorensen,

NBD Nano plans to enter the worldwide marketplace between 2014 and 2015.

This is great! Just imagine the possibilities that this water bottle would have (providing it is successful). The bottle can produce water out of thin air. If this actually latches on in the market and people start buying it, that would be great!

No more dehydration for people stuck somewhere without water!

links:

phys.org...
www.nbdnano.com...

Hahaha, if you think oil killed the electric car, just wait and see what Coca-Cola and Pepsi do to a self-filling water bottle when they realize it's going to kill their $7.7 BILLION dollar industry? LOL. Prepare to never see it because those 4 people who created this will be offered such sizable sums they will never be able to refuse. Either that, or 'unfortunate skiing accidents' will ensue.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

asctually - 3 litres / hour is far greater than 2 gal / day

assuming an 8 hour " day "

the claimed output of the bottle = 24 litres , thats 5.27 imperial gal , or 6.34 US gal

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Should be fine, it'll make it's way back into the Earth eventually. Remember, the Earth has the same amount of water now as it has for an extremely long time. Drinkable water is lower, but actual water levels are at the same level. The only way you could actually deprive the Earth of water is if you got a bottle of water, launched into space and threw it into the darkness.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I am looking it differently than you.
If everyone had one and pulled the water out of the air,would we have less rain and more drought??

To every action,there is a reaction.

Also,if it creates condensation from air I think thats good,if it takes water from the air than I think that is bad.
I am thinking creating condensation is how this works but I only skimmed the article.
edit on 26-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

But less water would be pulled from the ground.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

"I am looking it differently than you.
If everyone had one and pulled the water out of the air,would we have less rain and more drought??

To every action,there is a reaction. "

thats my thinking as well, 6 billion people pulling moisture from air, then we will need the chemtrails to make more clouds ^^

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If you build one large enough think about the applications for a "free' energy device.

How could you use an endless supply of water you don't have to work for to acquire for energy - especially in desert conditions?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8

Should be fine, it'll make it's way back into the Earth eventually. Remember, the Earth has the same amount of water now as it has for an extremely long time. Drinkable water is lower, but actual water levels are at the same level. The only way you could actually deprive the Earth of water is if you got a bottle of water, launched into space and threw it into the darkness.

Or by splitting the molecule to get at the hydrogen... That would give us less water, until someone burned it haha..

I always used to wonder when I was younger why they didn't just boil sea water in all our power plants to turn the turbines and then re condense that water, thus creating a way to not waste energy since it already needs to be used to make electricity...

Only problem with that is all the salt and the powerplant not lasting more than 3 years... Maybe new materials will be invented that allow such a combining of electricity and water purification techs into one process... Maybe...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Creating condensation IS pulling water out of the air.

The evaporation of the world's water resources would compensate for any number of personal
water condensing devices--even 7 billion of them. As the humidity was lowered evaporation
would increase---the world is covered with water. No problem or even measurable effect IMO.

Where the problem lies is in corporations responsible for the profitable business of water
delivery allowing this product to market. There is big money in bottled water, BIG MONEY.
Bottled water is essentially filtered tap water purchased for almost nothing and sold
at HUGE profit. They essentially are selling a product that is nearly free, paying only the
costs of logistics, warehousing, personnel and advertising. Other companies that transport
water to high population areas with little water resources of their own would also be impacted.

This technology falls under the umbrella of the BIG three in global control; water, food, and energy.

The guys who sit at the top of these three pyramids have been doing nothing but seizing
control for the last century...they will not like this tech. The military however may save us.
They would like this tech...so only time will tell whether this new technology will reach market
or not, or these few researchers will reach old age, or be bought out with "no compete"
clauses, so the tech can be suppressed.

Reminds me of all the claims of hundred mile a gallon technology that could be crap or could be
something great but always seems to disappear. While some of these of claims can be written off,
some of them are probably viable. From personal experience, my father was a tinkering inventor,
and he rebuilt our old behemoth Ford Fairlane's carburetor and installed a device on the hood
that aspirated the gas so that the car ran on fumes. It worked. I was kid when he measured a gallon
of gas and he and I drove 78 miles on that gallon. The car ran like crap, sputtering and coughing
and would barely go, but it did go...so I know at least some of these claims we hear of are viable
and then we never hear of them again...

edit to add and afterthought...

Can you imagine drinking only pure distilled water? Maybe run it through a filter to clean air-borne
pollutants and then having pure clean water to drink with no heavy metal or fluoride or chlorine or
residual traces of chemicals or pesticides from farm run-off....no hormones or antibiotics and drugs
from flushed medicines?....The more I think about it, the more I fear this will never see the light of
day beyond and ATS thread and a little internet exposure.
edit on 27-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

running saw sea water through a boiler system would result in failure in < 3 weeks - not 3 years - google " chloride stress " - at high temp / pressure - it will cause failure in steam pipes in a very short time

all boilers need DEMIN water in thier primary loop

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I bet thye guys who make bottled water either buy this invention or the inventors all die in a weird water got sucked out of their bodies accident.

edit on 27-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Wow 3 liters every hour!

For some reason for every good reason I see in this tech I see the possibility in a new kind of weapon...

But still can be used for a lot of good, so it's awesome!

The Rat.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
They are still currently creating a working prototype so although this sounds great it is possible that this might turn into one of those amazing ideas that fades into nothing.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Cool stuff indeed.

If I stuck it next to my grandad whilst he has his afternoon nap, will it suck up all the whisky that leaks through his skin?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I am looking it differently than you.

To every action,there is a reaction.

Also,if it creates condensation from air I think thats good,if it takes water from the air than I think that is bad.
I am thinking creating condensation is how this works but I only skimmed the article.
edit on 26-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

After reading most of the replies I agree with this thought. Maybe on a small scale there wouldn't be an effect but on a large scale there would have to be some effect. If there are millions or a billion of these bottles sucking moisture from the air we'll all be living in a desert or a swamp. Can you shut it off? Better not to mess with mother nature.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I saw this on the BBC, and it really is pretty awesome.

The only problem I can foresee is that the cost might render it pointless for many years. I don't think I have seen an example story on this out there where they state how much it would cost to produce this.

I would also love to see someone develop a lager model, like a water tank. Surely if the surface area of the "bottle" (tank) is larger its capability increases, meaning that a three foot tank of some kind could - in theory - supply a family in Africa with free and safe water forever!

Imagine if an old water tower were made in the same way, always refilling and never running dry. It could really be a revolution in safe water management.

I hope, in about ten years, we might all have the opportunity to rip out the infrastructure supplying us with needed resources like this. Imagine it, you could have a water collection system of your own, with something like this gathering safe water for drinking, another tank for gathered rain water, and solar power that is both efficient and affordable.

We really could go completely off-grid if we chose to

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join