It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Advice - How much do you think my Antique Chess set is worth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I am going on a holiday over seas soon to celebrate Christmas, so i am cleaning out my garage before i go..

I was given a antique chess set by an old friend & by the look of the chess set it looks pretty old, it was made in Korea in 1899 so the logo says & my friend told me it was given down to her by another old old friend...

This is a picture of it:

First of all i suck at chess & i have got this thing up on a selling website for $10 as i have no idea if it is worth anything.. I've tried to check out what other types of chess sets like this go's for but i haven't come across anything like this chest set.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
No idea,

But I can say that after 8 years in Asia and 6 yrs in Korea, so many "antiques" are merely replicas. Very good replicas,

On another note, I don't know that chess was popular enough in Korea at that time to have started people creating sets.

What is the composition? Stone? Iron? Brass? Ivory? Or is it a make-up of plastic and synthetics?

Peace

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
With out knowing where you live it is a bit hard.

So much depends on condition and what materials were used to construct the pieces.

The best guess I would have on the information available would be around $150 - $200.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Try unscrewing the bases to see if pieces are filled with precious gems, before selling.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

looks like brass or copper and tin to me, so my guess would be 100-150$ lots of stuff replicated in those days

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
$100 - $150??? OMG I just sold it for $15 20 mins after i just posted this. Damit!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
That was cheap, look at it this way, you made someone's day!

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

so true, i had them come pickup the chess set, it was a father & his little son, that kid looked real happy when he saw it..
edit on 26-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
ATS could market itself as a free valuation service worldwide. Imagine the information someone could gain without leaving their chair!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
For the future, anything tha is 100 plus years old should be at least a buck for every year. Try replacing that set for 20 bucks.
The board alone was worth 40 bucks.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Ok lets try this one.

A WW1 Hammesfahr dagger with AH engraved on the handle. It couldn't be.... but is it?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
$100 - $150??? OMG I just sold it for $15 20 mins after i just posted this. Damit!

You do know a new plastic set costs about that much. I would have picked it up in a second at that price. Seriously, haven't you heard of getting items appraised? If the quality is good it could be worth $500.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Ok lets try this one.

A WW1 Hammesfahr dagger with AH engraved on the handle. It couldn't be.... but is it?

Unless you can prove it is, it isn't, even if it is. If you are asking is it, you don't have documentation, so it isn't, even if it is.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I don't get why you asked us it's value when you had already put it up for auction. Shouldn't you have done it the other way round?

eta: I'd have given you $40 in a heartbeat. Was a really nice set.
edit on 26-11-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

As others have already said, get it appraised. Find a dealer in similar antiques and they will also let you know if it is the real deal. Looking at the pic [glancing really] the pieces look worn which would indicate it has seen use but the green felt lining doesn't appear to show similar signs of wear. May have been replaced ... far too many unknowns to be sure which leads back to - get it appraised by a professional

Nice chess set by the way ... If I were you I'd keep it and use it!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeelingPure
reply to post by pheonix358

so true, i had them come pickup the chess set, it was a father & his little son, that kid looked real happy when he saw it..
edit on 26-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: (no reason given)

The joy you gave to the child and the opening of his mind to learning to play chess and develop the logical thinking involved is worth more than any amount of money you could possibly get from it.

What you just did is priceless and will build memories and a foundation in that child that money could never, EVER replicate

Kudos to you for the transaction!

new topics

top topics

join