It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interview with MIT’s Dr. Poon on His New Brain Chip

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So I was doing some research and stumbled on a site opinno.uk.com and the headline is what caught my attention. I do not know the creditability of this site, also mods if already been brought to the table then delete, I've also tried numerous times to use the search function but the search box stays on loading.

So I was trying not to find doom and gloom cause I was going to take the next few days off for a mental break, when I found this interesting article and got me thinking about how close we are from crossing the line between human vs AI

A group of researchers at MIT has recently created an artificial brain synapse using an analog computer chip. The current model has 400 transistors that simulate the complex interactions of ion channels in the synapse with future applications in research, medicine and engineering. Scientists have long studied how individual neurons work, but less was known about how the brain acquires and learns from new information. Even on the synaptic level, neurons can be affected by past experiences, a phenomenon known as plasticity. Long-term synaptic strengthening and long-term depression, among others, have been known to change the behavior of synapses, and this computer chip neuron provides a model for how this synaptic plasticity happens.

From the article it seems to me that they may have just figured out how to possibly link all these chips together and have them fire like a real brain.

Dr. Chi-Sang Poon, the senior author of the paper, notes three areas where this technology has potential applications: disease modeling, neural prostheses, and artificial intelligence.

Does anyone remember the movie IRobot? As the purposes stated above those applications can be the difference between life and death and maybe even brought back, who knows what the implications of this can be from the powers that be that may suppress this for further genocidal agendas. but I can also see someone with brain damage living a normal life, I mean the possibilities seem endless in the medical field with this.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
[snip]

It is interesting and who knows what can come of it as processing speeds continue to multiply. Maybe pop a chip in a dead body and have a flesh robot?
edit on 11/25/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I, for one, am excited about a future that will probably never come, where these neural prostheses serve as an end-of-life option, or, simply an option where we can download into complete synthetic bodies.

It'd be nice, as well, if we could not only download into a synthetic body, but, back to a biological one as well.
In such a way, you get injured in an accident or too old to function comfortably, you could swap into a synthetic while you wait for a clone of your original body to be grown into young adulthood where you then have your old body back, but, youthful again.

Additionally, depending on how arduous or easy such a process might be, we could do away with biological bodies doing hazard work in careers like fire fighting, police, military, nuclear reactors, and other such where someone in a hazard field could occupy a synthetic body for a time while on the job, and then swap back to biological during off time.

"Manned" space exploration would also be less hazardous in using synthetic bodies.
Eh. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
**** ATTENTION ****

Posting Bans are next, you have been warned.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
**** ATTENTION ****

I would like to apologize to the staff and OP, and humbly suggest that you state what should not be posted about, lest the innocent fall prey to the same enticement.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by elevatedone
**** ATTENTION ****

I would like to apologize to the staff and OP, and humbly suggest that you state what should not be posted about, lest the innocent fall prey to the same enticement.

Wow.
I didnt receive my first post warning until after i made my last post on this thread. I would have stopped immediately on my first warning. And that extreme T & C tag is on my last post simply apologizing to the OP

Okey dokey....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
withdrawn
edit on 25-11-2012 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Congratulations Thread officially derailed.
To get back on track the implications of this may well provide a more user friendly interface than the one that is currently being tested that requires extensive brain training to create cohesion.

I have worked extensively with the Jedi Force trainer interface and have been looking to apply the skillset to a brain chip interface. I interpret this article suggests a more natural pathway which may just create a more user friendly interface.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm interested in
Neural prosthesis

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join