It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have started to take prepping more seriously

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
And this is what really made it all click for me and my husband:

I don't want to be caught up in a mob like this, fighting and scrambling for food. After watching this video, my husband and I had a real long talk about the future. We both believe now that it is going to get real bad. I feel I owe it to my daughter to get off my duff and start prepping more hard core.

I usually keep about three weeks worth of groceries in the house, including bottled water, but now I want to start building a six month supply of food and water for three people.

We are going to have to do this on a budget, as one of us is only working right now.

We are planning to bug out in our home, but keep bug out bags ready with extra gas in case we need to flee further north. I'm already in the hi- line.

Because I'm near a fresh water lake, I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to purify that water if I had to drink it, and any websites you might want to throw my way. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
And what are you prepping for exactly?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

Good ideas, oh and if you just boil the water and filter it you will be ok to drink it.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

watching that video reminded me of just one thing ..............a zombie movie,looks like zombie's are real

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Learning basic survival skills shouldn't be ridiculed. Obsessing over these skills can be indicative of a mental illness, but not always. Good for OP ... just please don't get carried away.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
watch that show mountain men and you'll see how hard it is to survive in the wild by yourself.

these men are experienced outdoorsmen and survivalists and they even admit it themselves it is extremely hard.

and they are using some modern technology.

i don't think the average person realizes how hard it is to consistently find deer and food. to make it thru a winter.

these guys struggle hard. you have to know so much, something basic like making a candle with what you can find in a forest.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Whatever preparations you make, it will be cheaper to do now than later and if nothing happens, you'll have food and water put away. Things every family use to do to become self-sufficient back in the olden days.

I saw a video of people coming out of Best Buy after making large purchases on credit, most likely because they have no cash or savings. All stated they held no metals. Their homes may be filled with electronics but have less than a weeks worth food put away.

Anything you do to prepare for possible rough times ahead should be lauded. People that ridicule "preppers" will be the first one in the streets if all hell breaks loose and the markets are empty of food and the gas stations run dry.

Everyone will be on their own. Do anything you can do to "stay off the bus".

edit on 25-11-2012 by Oldnslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
What I've found that helps add up quicker than you think is to buy a couple extras when you do your regular grocery shopping. Then the extras go in the storage. This is the biggest way I prep on a budget. Because of where I live, my preps are all done with hurricanes in mind, so I tend to store foods that don't require power to cook.

I also have discovered that canning is great for those of us on a budget. Yes, startup costs and costs of jars are higher. BUT, once you have your supplies, you can make extra of most things you eat, and then can the extra. I always make double batches of soups so I have plenty to can. Meats, I buy bigger cuts than what I need, and freeze until I have enough to do a batch of canning.

Personally, I can't set a huge goal like having 6 months of supplies, because I get overwhelmed. Instead I set small goals, like say a month at a time. Before you know it, you have your six months!

Another tip I've picked up is stock what you eat. If you don't normally eat a lot rice and beans, don't stock a lot rice and beans.

Also, I read somewhere that if there is ever a run on the grocery stores like the mob in your video, that you should go straight for the produce section. People will be snatching up the canned goods right and left but a lot of people might not think about the fresh fruits and veggies. Don't know if that's true or not, but it seems fairly plausible if you get to the stores fast enough.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Stocking extra food is a great hedge against inflation if you do it right. Watch some of those "extreme couponing" shows for ideas. I think some serious inflation (or devaluation of the dollar) is coming and you have to eat so if you can control at least that portion of your budget you are way ahead of most people.

The other nice thing is that you don't need to run to the store every time you need something. My daughter and I eat a fair amount of peanut butter, so when our nearest supermarket had jars of Planter's peanut butter for $1 we got enough to last two years. Next year we'll be eating $1 Planter's when most everyone else is eating $5 store brand. We like to bake, so when bags of sugar were on sale for $0.98 and flour was $0.79 we did the same.

Once you have a bit of inventory you have more options, instead of spending $60 on a fairly balanced shopping cart you can spend $20 on odds and ends $40 on $1 jars of peanot butter on sale for example. Instead of leaving with $60 worth of groceries you would be leaving with $180 to $200 worth of grogeries for the same $60.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I usually keep about three weeks worth of groceries in the house, including bottled water, but now I want to start building a six month supply of food and water for three people.

But, but, but........doesn't that make you a terrorist!

In fact with 3 weeks supply in the house you already are one. Make sure you don't let anyone else know what you are doing!

That video is simply appalling! I hate to even think what that would have been like if they had been hungry people and that had been food!

Thank goodness I live in the country.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
What exactly are people prepping for? the last time I saw this level of hysteria was before the millennium bug that failed to materialise.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
What exactly are people prepping for? the last time I saw this level of hysteria was before the millennium bug that failed to materialise.

They're not prepping in this video...they're just shopping on Black Friday!
This is the deliberate conditioning of our "human" race...dumbed-down to their very souls! I am all at once embarrased, frightened, humored and dumbfounded!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren
And this is what really made it all click for me and my husband:

I don't want to be caught up in a mob like this, fighting and scrambling for food. After watching this video, my husband and I had a real long talk about the future. We both believe now that it is going to get real bad. I feel I owe it to my daughter to get off my duff and start prepping more hard core.

We are going to have to do this on a budget, as one of us is only working right now.

We are planning to bug out in our home, but keep bug out bags ready with extra gas in case we need to flee further north. I'm already in the hi- line.

Because I'm near a fresh water lake, I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to purify that water if I had to drink it, and any websites you might want to throw my way. Thanks!

Well, glad you decided to get off the bus to starvation and make the right choice..
Buy youself a Berkey water filter system...

to some prepping is a joke..
and they will be the ones that turn into people like in your Video for food and water.

Keep yourself at least 3 months of water and food,.. thats about how long it will take for the majority of the idiots to die..

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by Starchildren

You have just entered a territory which will consume you entirely.

You will never stop prepping unless you stop prepping. There is always more to do or more to hoard and obtain.

Best of luck in trying to not let the process consume all your time. Please try to live your life and enjoy yourself. This prepping stuff is bordering on the psychotic for many. It takes over lives.
I wish you the best in your efforts though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
First you should have a method of defending yourselves and home. A shotgun is the cheapest and most versatile home defense weapon available. For filtering water you google ceramic filters - slow but less than $50 and can filter thousands of gallons - for example this one; www.cheaperthandirt.com...

Cheap foods that will get you far are rice and beans. Get plenty of seasonings to keep them interesting. Keep us posted on what you find and what are good deals at present. Find a friend with a Sam's club membership)
edit on 25-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We might be approaching a peak in "prepping" as we approach 12/21/12 and assuming that it is a non-event. Better to be prepared (ie Hurricane Sandy) than not but the end of world prepping may be premature.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We might be approaching a peak in "prepping" as we approach 12/21/12 and assuming that it is a non-event. Better to be prepared (ie Hurricane Sandy) than not but the end of world prepping may be premature.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

So terrible to watch those people take part in that grotesque display of a zombie-like disorder.
Honestly...what runs through these people's minds when they fight over "sales"?
To save money on a marked-up product to begin with?
And for what...a happy child at Christmas? Or themselves?

I recently talked to a young woman about her "black friday" shopping extravaganza.
She said it's a tradition for her family and for alot of people. Almost like a game.
It's exciting, fun, and they actually enjoy the thrill of the chase.

I couldn't believe my ears about how programmed they have become.
All to save a buck.

I can just imagine what will happen when these same people fight for canned food.
Horrendous.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Here is an emergency water calculator that tells you how to get drinkable water from different sources of water, by using drops of chlorine, and by boiling at different elevations, and how to make the water taste better after processing it to remove disease causing microorganisms.

www.csgnetwork.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Good for you op!

I finally convinced my wife several months ago on the importance of prepping and that I'm not a loon.

I,too plan to bug out at home ,but I'm prepared to go if need be.

Happy prepping!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join