It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALIENS & UFOS Discussion Policy Not Based On Evidence But On Hearsay

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ectoplasm8

I don't need to convince you. You can't be convinced. Besides I don't really care what you believe. I know what I do and why. I am urging people who don't see this as a real possibility to look a little further and dig a little deeper. Or not...I don't really care what they do either.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

No...it isn't. You are being creative.

Discounting the possibility of life on other planets is not only fool hardy I think it is closed minded.

I did not "discount the possibility"- it is more than likely that there is life on other planets.
I simply said that choosing to believe that the UFO phenomenon is necessarily a product of extraterrestrial life is not being "open minded"- I disagree with that assertion you make.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Discounting the possibility of life on other planets is not only fool hardy I think it is closed minded.

Why is this always the case around here? Someone doubts alien visitation and a strawman rears its ugly head when someone goes on about the possibility of other life in the universe. They are two very separate ideas.

Being 'open minded' defined simply is realizing that you could be wrong. You almost never see that from believers who ironically go on and on about it.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Slave2Fate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Along with the many other reasons for unusual or unexplained sighting I think you have to include life that isn't human in the strictest sense. Extra terrestrial and possibly subterranean but even if we are dealing with advanced forms of evolution on our own planet I think, based on a variety of witness account and recorded testimony there are additionally those intelligent life forms who visit us from other planets. That is open minded.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slave2Fate

Why is this always the case around here? Someone doubts alien visitation and a strawman rears its ugly head when someone goes on about the possibility of other life in the universe. They are two very separate ideas.

Maybe three.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

Along with the many other reasons for unusual or unexplained sighting I think you have to include life that isn't human in the strictest sense. Extra terrestrial and possibly subterranean but even if we are dealing with advanced forms of evolution on our own planet I think, based on a variety of witness account and recorded testimony there are additionally those intelligent life forms who visit us from other planets. That is open minded.

Yes, those are some of the many possibilities one could consider. That is why seeing is NOT believing.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

If you are not interested or a skeptic you will not do as thorough an investigation into the subject as someone who for one reason or another, perhaps they saw something for themselves, might do.

Some sceptics investigate more than some believers, as some believers just accept anything that follows their own line of thought without even thinking about the case.

If you study enough accounts of UFO's you will come across the convincing witness's, and evidence and the 4000 or so cases that can be nothing but otherworldly, intelligently driven spacecraft and you might finally come to that conclusion yourself.

According to you. Why do you think there's no other possible explanation?

If you haven't reached that point yet - you have not studied the phenomena as thoroughly as some of us.

Or just has a different way of thinking.

Or hasn't studied enough to come across the case or cases that will convince him or her this is something real and happening on earth unbeknownst to many...you for example.

I was a skeptic as many people start out but after awhile and serious open minded investigation most "normally thinking" people become convinced. Even if you were not witness to an event yourself if you study the cases available you will find many without human explanation. I think there is no other possible explanation sometimes because the capabilities displayed are beyond us or ours. Clearly. Eliminating human beings...that leaves others, since flying machines don't make themselves.

Yes they sure dont make themselves. My foundation in the UFO question is the nuts and bolts reality. I move on into the other areas from there with the opinion that anyone that doesnt know or thinks not that there have been and are craft of some sort of as yet undisclosed in origin and technology running flying around in earths atmosphere is in la la land.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

reply to post by Bluesma

Yes, those are some of the many possibilities one could consider. That is why seeing is NOT believing.

That depends on what you see.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

That depends on what you see.

What sort of vision could you rationally eliminate all other possibilities for??

Knowing that things like hallucination can take on, for the hallucinator, every characteristic of real sensory information,
and that hallucinations can be shared by many simultaneously.

(knowing that, can you even be sure this post you are reading now, the computer you think you see, that cup of coffee, are real???)

That we do not know the physics of dimensions beyond the third (or fourth, depending upon theory you prescribe to) so no way of determining if the beings or objects you percieve are of those.

That we do not yet have any confirmation of alternate universes or realities existing or not existing,

Nor the possibility of time travel,

That we have technology existing already that can make holographic images,

That we are aware of certain methods the brain waves of a person can be altered (even from a distance), causing them to experience things that are not there...

That psychoanalysis has gotten only far enough to understand that we have a deep psyche, with a lot of influence upon our body and behavior- including the placebo effect to actually cause physical changes in the biology....

I've had these things standing in front of me, and they've told me their version of who they are, what they are, what our past and future is, etc. That doesn't mean that was the truth!
edit on 4-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join