It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal Mart Employees protest, I call BS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp

Wal Mart employees are constantly in the news because their wages are considered sub standard. However, the average associate is said to make around 11 dollars an hour (www.businessinsider.com...). The VAST MAJORITY of wal mart employees are high school and GED recipients. I don't see what entitles them to higher wages. Your comments are encouraged.

t.news.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

And I don't see as how you're entiltled to breathe.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

What I don't understand is why an un educated sales associate is having ANY problem with 11 an hour when I'm making only 8/hr With a college degree cause of a felony from '99.

Maybe it's because they aren't ex-criminals. Or maybe it's because they are smart enough to understand that if you commit a crime, it might have future consequences.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Lots of companies hire felons at good wages.

Of course certain types of felonies can limit employment opportunities such as those that require you to have no contact with minor children.

Felony restrictions seem harsh until it is you or your family that were the victim of the crime.

edit on 24-11-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

When the cost of living is so high 11 bucks a hour is not enough something has to give. We are screwed and it is starting to slowly show itself inflation will cause people to starve in the next 2 years.

I have been saying it for 4 years now on ATS. This is a caused by TPTB slow crash. We are entering the final stage when the lowest wage earners will not be able to live anymore. And trust me this is planned.

They will cause the problem and the people will beg for change and then they will give it to us. The change will be complete control but you will get food and housing.
edit on 24-11-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

What I don't understand is why an un educated sales associate is having ANY problem with 11 an hour when I'm making only 8/hr With a college degree cause of a felony from '99.

I don't see that as a valid comparison, but I do understand and get upset about your plight. If people break the law and serve out whatever sentence they receive, they should be able to start over completely fresh, else people might as well just stay in prison. To be chained to our past mistakes is just not right.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Wal-Mart employees do start out at low wages, but the fact is, if they work at it, they can get those wages higher. In fact, there is no reason at all why a Wal-Mart employee cannot make Manager within a few years, Store Manager in ten, and District Manager by fifteen. It's just that most lack motivation to do so.

This is true of ANY retail chain. In the smaller chains you ought to be able to make store manager within two years, district manager in five. If you don't get promoted in these situations you are either incapable of handling it intellectually, or you aren't paying attention.

The real problem here is that we don't have farm jobs for people with low IQs. Half the people have an IQ lower than 100. That doesn't qualify you for much, and it also means you are subject to replacement by robots who don't complain. China is in the process of installing 1 million robots to replace factory workers. This is just the first wave. Indeed, there is widespread speculation that manufacturing jobs will come back here--performed by robots.

People with low IQs only know how to do one thing well, and that's make babies--at a time when we need fewer babies. THAT'S why we're in trouble. Would you hire your average Wal-Mart employee? I sure would not. Hey, there are hundreds of geniuses packed in there, but finding them is tough.

Sorry to goute your whole post, but it's correct.

There are reasons walmart pay "so low". It's a low skill job. It's a very low skill job. No one trains to become a walmart shelf stocker. Don't tell me how much I don't get it. I can shop all by myself. Hell, I can even use their "self check-out" line. Just unload the truck, fill the shelves, and sweep the floors. However, if you play their game (i.e., learn about retail and the way walmart works) you can rise through their ranks and make something of yourself. It's not that Walmart is holding them back, it's just walmart can hire ANYBODY to do most of the jobs, yeah, it's that easy. And sadly there is no shortage of stupid people, and I mean people that have a very low IQ.

Unions are for people with skills, certain trades that require years of practice, jobs that require a "safety first" work ethic because you could lose a arm or leg in a instant. I'm in a Union, I make more than $22/hr, and the job could take years to master, and I need to be flexiable for future changes to my working situation and while all that is going on, if I make a mistake I could lose a finger/hand/eye...

These things just don't happen with a entry level, low skill, low risk, low responsibilty, minimum wage job.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jough626

Remove these "low skilled" employees. Shop all by yourself. Then, in a week, sit and wonder why there is nothing on the shelves.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Unions are for people with skills? So you think they deserve to be trodden on? Unions are for all people who work.
2nd.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Wal Mart employees are constantly in the news because their wages are considered sub standard. However, the average associate is said to make around 11 dollars an hour (www.businessinsider.com...). The VAST MAJORITY of wal mart employees are high school and GED recipients. I don't see what entitles them to higher wages. Your comments are encouraged.

t.news.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You forgot the other part of the article:

The average Walmart "associate," Wake Up Walmart reports, makes $11.75 an hour. That's $20,744 per year. Those wages are slightly below the national average for retail employees, which is $12.04 an hour. They also produce annual earnings that, in a one-earner household, are below the $22,000 poverty line.

www.businessinsider.com...

Remember that is an average so that would include shift supervisors as well:

Josue Mata, a 28-year-old employee of a south Dallas store, said he earns $8.70 an hour working full time as an overnight maintenance man. He raises four kids, pays child support and lives with his parents.

t.news.msn.com...

So if you work for Walmart and receive 11.00 an hour with a two person household. You would still qualify for medicaid and food stamps. The income would have to exceed $29,424 to be disqualified. That's roughly $14.00 an hour for a full time worker.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Ya. Apparently he is not very smart.

If he were, he would have lied about a criminal background at every interview. I bet that would have at least DOUBLED your starting wage level.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

the day after thanksgiving...after giving thanks to what you have

people stamp on each others faces, to get cheap deals

black friday sales is always funny to watch

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
The idea that hourly rate is the only determining factor in this assessment is a perfect example of how americans fail to see the forest from the trees.

Lack of benefits, keeping hours per week below certain levels, etc, are MAIN reasons why people take issue with walmart.

11 bucks an hour isnt exactly a great wage when your employer caps you at below full-time hours so that they can avoid giving you any benefits.

I call that employer a smart business person. Heartless? Yes. Smart? Very.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

No. You deserve a wage that befits the level of skills and the return in value you can provide a company. If you have no skills get some. If you have no education acquire it. We have developed a notion in this country that people should be paid according to what they want rather than what their level of skill is, or the level of skill required for the job.

McDonalds does not have to pay a fry cook the same as it pays the accountant or the guys in the IT department. The two do not provide the same valuable skill set.
edit on 24-11-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Unions are for people with skills? So you think they deserve to be trodden on? Unions are for all people who work.
2nd.

No people need unions because they cannot stand up for themselves, and we as a society have let lawyers and legal mumbo jumbo clog everything in our lives. Trust me many successful people have gotten by just fine without a union. Now if you wanna start talking about workers compensation and the joke that all that is then I have some horror stories for you. The unions have killed this country, have killed our recourse if we are hurt on the job, etc.....

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

you would lie in a job interview? What if the organization you applied for a job at did a criminal record check and found out you lied? It's simple, you wouldn't get the job. Organizations do more back checks today than ever before.

$11.00 is more money than I ever made in retail. But I do agree that as cost of living goes up, so should minimum wages. Unfortunately that never seems to be the case.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

No. You deserve a wage that befits the level of skills and the return Im value you can provide a company. If you have no skills get some. If you have no education acquire it. We have developed a notion in this country that people should be paid according to what they want rather than what their level of skill is, or the level of skill required for the job.

McDonalds does not have to pay a fry cook the same as it pays the accountant or the guys in the IT department. The two do not provide the same valuable skill set.

Who determines what skill level gets what pay? Supposed a PHD professional beleived that your skills only warranted $8.00 an hour would you agree to that pay scale? If not why?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You miss my point, I'am not saying that a shelfstacker should get the same as a Doctor or whatever I'am saying that if you work full time you should get a wage that pays you enough for all the things I mentioned.
Here in the UK the Min wage is £6.18 but many companies are signing up for the living wage which is £8.13 ph because these companies realise that workers with less money worries will be better workers etc.
It's all well and good you saying "go to school, earn your money etc" but heck what if I do a job very well and a job not many people would do (look after old people with dementia and wipe bums) do I deserve to have a pay packet that is so low I have £20 a week to buy food and clothes? just because I chose to help the old?
We are all cogs in the wheel and what you have found in the UK recently is many people staying on at school to get educated but when they leave the jobs just are not there.
We can not all be Doctors/Skilled whatever because who would do the #e jobs?
If a person does their job well no matter what job he/she deserves a living wage and not to be on the breadline.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
The idea that hourly rate is the only determining factor in this assessment is a perfect example of how americans fail to see the forest from the trees.

Lack of benefits, keeping hours per week below certain levels, etc, are MAIN reasons why people take issue with walmart.

11 bucks an hour isnt exactly a great wage when your employer caps you at below full-time hours so that they can avoid giving you any benefits.

I call that employer a smart business person. Heartless? Yes. Smart? Very.

smart for their bottom line. Good for the union? Not so much.

Thats what all of this comes down to, and it is why I am SO opposed to corporate personhood. Whats best for the union is the opposite of what is best for corporations. It is is the best interests of most corporations(yes, there are exceptions) to squeeze a worker as much as possible, and to rip off the consumer as much as possible. What best for the union is to have a middle class that is thriving.

Those two things do not go together.
edit on 24-11-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Walmart hurts the US economy so much it should roll over and die.

They pay their employees minimum wage, maybe 8-9 dollars an hour. The employees cannot support themselves so they go on food stamps, welfare, medicaid etc. They make so little they are forced to go buy walmart goods to save money...

Walmart also kills the small business owner, this then concentrates more and more wealth into the 1% hands.

Not to mention all the do is sell Chinese slave goods.

They are a parasite. They make so much in profits, they could do so much better, but choose not to. Shareholders over humanity is their motto... like most corporations, but they are particularly foul.

edit on 24-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

No. You deserve a wage that befits the level of skills and the return in value you can provide a company. If you have no skills get some. If you have no education acquire it. We have developed a notion in this country that people should be paid according to what they want rather than what their level of skill is, or the level of skill required for the job.

edit on 24-11-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Not all jobs should have equal pay. But any full-time job should pay a livable wage, period. Even the highest of educated people shop. They require people to work where they shop. That means that there IS a lot of value in lowly retail jobs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join