It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MiO Liquid Water Enhancer - Will it kill me?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I ask this due to controversy of aspartame being used at a sweetener in other drinks. This however states Sucralose, which is three times sweeter than aspartame.

According to this it will kill me: www.redicecreations.com...

Less doom here: en.wikipedia.org...

and here: www.foodinsight.org...

What are y'alls opinions?

I bought the Blueberry Lemonade out of curiosity and it taste pretty damn good.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I rather like it, honestly. Sucrose is actually a simple sugar, not an artificial sweetener. Should be fine. Id be more concerned about the water you put it in.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If you feel like you need to put that poison in your water, then why even bother drinking water? Just drink a soda or some Drano if poison is your thing.
edit on 24-11-2012 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

they are talking about sucralose the artificicial sweetener (made from sucrose, they manipulate it in some way) , not plain sucrose which is table sugar
edit on 24-11-2012 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
If you feel like you need to put that poison in your water, then why even bother drinking water? Just drink a soda or some Drano if poison is your thing.
edit on 24-11-2012 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

Early morning rage?

LOL
I was waiting for that.

so why is it poison?
edit on 24-11-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
reply to post by phroziac

they are talking about sucralose the artificicial sweetener (made from sucrose, they manipulate it in some way) , not plain sucrose which is table sugar

they substitutes three of the hydroxyl groups with chlorine.

It's bad because?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
they are not answering you, post and run they did. according to wiki you would have to ingest 11,000 packets a day to have an adverse effect. some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners, I know someone and the artificial sweeteners make her sick to some degree.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Eh..

MIO has every artificial sweetner you can think of.

It's a chemical additive to water.

It containst food coloring, which is cancer causing and terrible for you.

Do not drink poisons. Drink water.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I only see Sucralose listed on the one I had bought.

I don't see how sucralose is as dangerous as aspartame.

As for food coloring, D'OH seems like nothing is safe to consume any more,

Guess it's time to go back to coffee and at least get a caffeine kick while I rot from inside.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I wouldn't drink that stuff.

I don't think it'll kill you any quicker than soda but I don't drink soda either. Stick with purified water - natural juice(squeeze it yourself if you can) - maybe milk once in awhile and you'll be fine.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Lactose intolerant but I drink almond milk

I don't like to drink sodas cuz they basically eat your teeth.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

If you'd like to flavor your water, it's really not difficult to do so at home.

Take one of those MIO bottoles and empty it. Then put in water with either:

1. Vanilla Extract.
2. Apple or other fruit concentrate.
3. Lemon or orange shavings.

There's all kinds of way to have these products without ingesting the poison that comes a long with them.

As for sucralose:

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener. The majority of ingested sucralose is not broken down by the body, so is noncaloric.[3] In the European Union, it is also known under the E number (additive code) E955. Sucralose is approximately 600 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar),[4] twice as sweet as saccharin, and three times as sweet as aspartame.

Wiki for the source.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You know thats not such a bad idea, I had some cucumber water at the last restaurant I went it and I was surprised how much I liked it.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
From Kraft's FAQ on Mio:

Does MiO contain lots of sugar? MiO is sweetened with acesulfame potassium and sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar.

Acesulfame potassium is aspartame. It is probably dangerous and we are still waiting on conclusive test results.

Testing Needed for Acesulfame Potassium, an Artificial Sweetener

Also it's got some Propylene Glycol . Nasty stuff:

Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for deicing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food.

It's just a marketing campaign, plain and simple. They're trying to glom onto the whole "Customize Everything" fad going on right now.

Also Kraft, makers of MiO, is owned by Phillip Morris. They can convince us to buy cigarettes. And apparently they can convince us that water is boring.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Wiki for the source.

Dude. Wikipedia is not a source.

Sorry, just saying.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Can you explain to me what it is then?

Just because wiki does some unfavorable things on certain topics within it's database does not invalidate it as a source of information overall.

If you think that Wiki is some sort of place where they nefariously change the information on a page regarding 'sucralose' then..well your tin foil hat is screwed on a bit too tight.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Wikipedia is community edited and it's too easy for wrong info to put up there. Anyone can make or edit a wiki. It's just not wise to use it as a source. Plenty of times the sources for articles on wiki don't even link to anything but a broken page.

It doesn't take much effort to find an actual source as opposed to wiki. They don't allow it as a source in college, why should we allow it on ATS.

I apologize, I do have a personal vendetta against them.

Still, wikipedia is not a source.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

By the way, from Wikipedia's own wiki about itself:

Wikipedia is not considered a credible source. Wikipedia is increasingly used by people in the academic community, from freshman students to professors, as an easily accessible tertiary source for information about anything and everything. However, citation of Wikipedia in research papers may be considered unacceptable, because Wikipedia is not considered a credible or authoritative source.[1][2] This is especially true considering anyone can edit the information given at any time. Follow two simple rules: [edit]Do your research properly and wisely. Remember that any encyclopedia is a starting point for research, not an ending point.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Although that is true, you can no longer 'live edit' anything in wiki;

Everything is vetted by admins before the final edit is created and replaces the one on the page.

And although Wiki in itself advises to do other research elsewhere, they do cite sources for the information provided, which is what I look at, prior to posting the Wiki article as an actual source.

If there are no external links to source material, then ofcourse, everything on the page is just somebody's opinion.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
When the pure unadulterated life nourishing refreshment of water gets old, just squeeze a little citrus in there. Ice cold water soured out with lime is one of my favorite drinks. Hydration and a bit of vitamin c. I don't think any new products based upon convenient flavor enhancement on the go or anything the size of a tamagotchi that claims to turn 24 cups of fluoridated tap water into 24 cups of blue drink is trustworthy. I tasted the stuff before. Can't you just tell that it is not something worth forming a habit for?

<<   2 >>

join