It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by FlyersFan

I dont mind that people in need are on these programs. Its the accountability, the checks and balances, that concern me.

Cashier Refuses to Accept Food Stamps For Cigarettes, is Fired

Really, Cigarettes?

And its allowed?

You can use a welfare card at the strip club! Problem?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by magma
Why not actually do something about it instead of complaining.

First people have to admit there is a problem. As you can see by a few posts here, some people refuse to admit it and just spew namecalling when confronted with the truth of the situation.

Then people have to discuss that there is a problem and how it happened.

Then people can come up answers.

But the first big thing .. make people aware of the situation. And it's a BIG PROBLEM!!

Which people do not know about the problem? Pretty sure that the people who use food stamps are well aware of a problem.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is the advent to Cloward-Piven.
Linky

We finally get to see the leftists plans writ large.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Your heart is in the right place, but the problem is a little deeper than jobs. Right now our "debt" is at or near the point where its ratio exceeds standard lending guidelines when compared to our "income." One has imply to look back to a time when the economy was humming to understand that when the interest on our debt was 40% of our income, we did fine, but now -- as it approaches 140% of our income, it is inhibiting growth. And growth is what we desperately need to manage a growing population, especially in a world with few actual units of "work" slotted, to promote efficiency.

We need to somehow get back to a level of interest on debt (remember -- that debt represents your savings interest, your homes real versus perceived "value," the greater part of 500 million "pensions" and "retirement" accounts (worldwide), and so on) that PROMOTES growth, period. That is how a capitalist system keeps rising.

And we need to do it while managing the inclinations of the legislative class, who prefer solutions where "winners" and "losers" are picked based on campaign finances, the need to be "re-elected," etc. Not an easy task, right?

And even then -- the entire paradigm must be changed because the system is still designed to pick fewer winners than losers over time -- while simultaneously upholding "freedom," "liberty," and the right to have 5 or more children. These purposes will always be crossed, like a big flaming "X" from the X-Files -- as long as we live inside a closed loop environment.

And none of this even begins to address the very real threats of geopolitical / factional warfare over basic resources like water and energy and other real, measurable effects to our actual biosphere, as we remove energy from a closed loop, and replace it with pollution.

Serious people have serious issues to work out here, and it needs to be done across the board, or we are all going to meet at the center of that gigantic "X" and then -- BOOM. And no rational human being wants that, right?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMarbles

Big Problem.

It should be used for necessities.

FOOD

Not strippers or Cigarettes.

The Left are laughing at America.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Which people do not know about the problem? Pretty sure that the people who use food stamps are well aware of a problem.

There is a problem with the government .. not with people using food stamps when they need it. The problem is the policies of the government CAUSING so many people to be on food stamps. The people who are on food stamps aren't the problem.

And I dont know if people on food stamps know that the government is the problem. How many of them voted this last time around? Did they vote for something different to try to change the problem or did they go with the status quo ?? If they are aware of the government policies being the problem .. who did food stamp recipients vote for and why??

I don't know those stats ...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Fix the problem with the government.

Yeah, like the government that lets JP Morgan Chase run the foodstamp program. Nothing can ever just help the little guy, it's always gotta be some sort of corporate welfare threw in there too. JP even outsourced foodstamp processing jobs to INDIA! Pathetic.

About 43 million American families rely on food stamps to put food on the table. JPMorgan Chase is the largest processor of food stamp benefits in the United States. The bank is paid per customer. With a contract to provide food stamp debit cards in 26 states and the District of Columbia, it’s no wonder that JPMC is making record breaking profits and handing out record bonuses during an economic depression. Furthermore, JPMC is doing its part to add to U.S. unemployment by outsourcing the servicing of many of these state contracts to India.

ivn.us...

edit on 24-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Excellent post.
So you think it's a problem with the government and not a conspiracy of a government power grab over the people? I can see it being either way ...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Another excellent post!
Fascism and Corporatism running the USA. Instead of a government by the people and for the people we have massive corruption to deal with. Now the question to you .. is the government doing this ON PURPOSE to cause more people to be on food stamps in order to gain power over the people?? What do you think?? Is it just stupidity on the part of the government or is it a plan and something more nefarious??

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Everything is a conspiracy. Food stamps are part of a nefarious agenda to reduce all Americans into overweight blobs of mentally deficient meatsacks.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

One could not expect to get transparency on those stats. I agree there is a problem with government. It is global problem and I have no idea how to fix it and I am not sure if it is indeed fixable.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Big Problem.

It should be used for necessities.

FOOD

Not strippers or Cigarettes.

The amount of money they receive is the same regardless of how they spend it, so you shouldn't care how they spend it.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Honestly -- I think the problem is intrinsic (and systemic) with / in our campaign finance laws, and prevailing philosophy of "government service" (which at best a "picking winners and losers" problem based on constituencies, and -- at worst, a "self-service" that attracts a very specific type of sociopath who desires MOAR power, exponentially). This is compounded by our notions of economic policy, because we are bleeding off vast amounts of energy right now, and replacing it with waste-heat -- inside a finite closed loop system.

These are big structural problems requiring core-philosophical shifts (however small or incremental) and massive engineering shifts in the "real world."

I also believe they are eminently solve-able, but they are going to require "leadership" far in excess of current norms if they are going to be addressed before global war makes them inevitable. =/
edit on 24-11-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

And the extra sad thing is that the people keep voting the same thing in over and over ..

Most of the people that voted this into place want more power and control for the government and believe it's the way things should be.

It's obvious that this "nation" is so divided on the most basic ideas of what a country should be, it will never be united in any way but by force.

We ought to split peacefully and try to salvage something before its too late.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

I would agree that greed by the 1% is what is causing most of our economic problems. We need heavy, HEAVY regulations on corporations, banking institutions, etc. - unfortunately something the GOP is very much against.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The amount of money they receive is the same regardless of how they spend it, so you shouldn't care how they spend it.

WRONG.

I pay into it.

Use it for Necessities, or allow me to opt-out into subsidizing for it.

There is no checks and balances. Its designed to break America, and keep people impoverished.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

They are only allowed to purchase certain items. You can understand how a taxpayer would want his money spent on good food for children rather than unnecessary booze and cigarettes for adults. Right? If someone is using food stamps for those things, then they really don't need food stamps.

Growing up we were rather poor (by American standards) We were on the free lunch program at school and welfare for about two years. We got off as soon as possible. While on the gov't assistance through the difficult time, we didn't take vacations, buy wine, buy cigarettes, etc etc. The money went for food. (I got stuck wearing awful homemade clothing my mother made. Man .. she couldnt' sew to save her soul!! )

Anyways .. you can understand why tax payers want to make sure that their tax money is being spent on necessities and not frivolous things, right??

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join