It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Steps Up to Save the Twinkie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
worldnews.nbcnews.com...

Economists say high sugar prices tied to US trade tariffs were a big reason Hostess was struggling, but a Mexican company could be a lifeline for Twinkies because it would be able to take advantage of access to lower-priced sugar in Mexico.

Obesity, diabetes, and other high-glucose maladies, is this how Mexico seeks to repay the United States for its generosity for keeping its back door open for their undocumented immigrants to enter the country and work in sub-standard conditions for low pay - though perhaps earning a small fortune compared to what they might have made working near their homes down south? Actually, it seems more that Mexico, with its Wonder Bread acquisition, will be helping Americans build strong bodies - as the product's vintage ad used to state. Or is this part of Mexico's insidious plot to take over North America while Americans are facing a devastating economical downturn at a time when Mexico is prospering?

Maybe it's just that now the economic tide is turning and the Bimbos are finally able to cash-in on the North American sweet tooth. They tried this before, offering Hostess over 4-times what it is worth today only to have them scoff and call their offer an insulting low-ball. Now the Mexican giant owns some of America's most beloved and consumer-devoted brands. It would appear they have not just been squandering their hard-earned "dough."

Grupo Bimbo is the world’s largest bread-baking firm, which already owns parts of Sara Lee, Entenmann’s and Thomas English Muffins and previously made what was considered a low-ball offer of $580 million a few years ago, Forbes reports. Now Hostess may only be worth $135 million.

While Hostess was clearly struggling, analysts believed Grupo Bimbo had an eye on them since the early 2000s because they saw Hostess as a key ingredient for North American expansion with delivery routes that penetrated across the country into convenience stores, gas stations and grocery markets, according to Forbes.

edit on 24-11-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Pretty sure the twinkies in the states were manufactured with High fructose corn syrup. moving them to mexico and having them made with real sugar would prob be healthier.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
Pretty sure the twinkies in the states were manufactured with High fructose corn syrup. moving them to mexico and having them made with real sugar would prob be healthier.

I too noticed that mentioned in the news articles. One could only hope, as stated there, that Mexico would use real sugar. Mexican sugar is less refined than in that used the US so is often thought to be healthier for that reason also.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If these big corporations would stop giving it's top-tier big-shots such huge bonuses all the time, and just let them live off of their OUTRAGEOUSLY huge salaries instead, then most of these corporations would'nt have to worry about things like "higher sugar prices" or "health-care" and other miscellaneous and normal expenses. NOR would they have to worry about a country such as Mexico to step up and "save them".

But NO, the big-shots just have to get their OUTRAGEOUSLY HUGE bonuses every year while earning OUTRAGEOUSLY HUGE salaries for doing nothing other than watching the peasant employees at the bottom do all the work. Then when the wasteful spending effects the operation of the corporation, GUESS WHO suffers? The HARD-WORKING peasants like always.

There is SO MUCH WASTEFUL SPENDING going on at big corporations that it is COMPLETELY INSANE and the peasant slaves and their family always suffer.

edit on 24-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
Obesity, diabetes, and other high-glucose maladies, is this how Mexico seeks to repay the United States for its generosity for keeping its back door open for their undocumented immigrants to enter the country and work in sub-standard conditions for low pay - though perhaps earning a small fortune compared to what they might have made working near their homes down south? Actually, it seems more that Mexico, with its Wonder Bread acquisition, will be helping Americans build strong bodies - as the product's vintage ad used to state. Or is this part of Mexico's insidious plot to take over North America while Americans are facing a devastating economical downturn at a time when Mexico is prospering?

Maybe it's just that now the economic tide is turning and the Bimbos are finally able to cash-in on the North American sweet tooth. They tried this before, offering Hostess over 4-times what it is worth today only to have them scoff and call their offer an insulting low-ball. Now the Mexican giant owns some of America's most beloved and consumer-devoted brands. At least it appears they have not been squandering their hard-earned "dough.

You forgot to list karma as a possible reason. The way mexican people eat nowadays have been greatly affected by the economic standards imposed by the imperialism of the US. The obesity plage has taken control of most mexican families, thanks to the daily diet recommendation of US controlled institutions and GMO products that floods the internal market. Hell, mexican families are even affected on just how much american population consume drugs.

So, yea, americans can deal with their karma, as much as everyone else deals with their own.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well I already prefer mexican cola, so why not mexican twinkies?
America is dead and gone we all gotta used to it

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
AFAIK, twinkies have been produced south of the border by Bimbo's branch Marinela since the early eighties, but then again, I could be wrong, is there someone from Mexico willing to go to the corner store and take a picture of the packaging?

Regards

Walter

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wmegoth

Originally posted by wmegoth
AFAIK, twinkies have been produced south of the border by Bimbo's branch Marinela since the early eighties, but then again, I could be wrong, is there someone from Mexico willing to go to the corner store and take a picture of the packaging?

Regards

Walter

Just for you, I did as requsted, went to the corner tienda, purchased a pack of Marinela's brand Submarinos and brought them home so I could open the package to take a photograph of the content as well. I also had a couple with my coffee. They come three to a pack and are available in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry flavors. I bought vanilla as I seem to recall Twinkies coming in the one flavor only.

It has been awhile since I ate a Twinkie but I believe these are a bit smaller. According to the package they weigh-in at 35 grams apiece, a little over an ounce each. I will probably eat the third one before nightfall as well.

Star for the suggestion. They went well with my afternoon coffee.

top topics

join