It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you were a little kid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Why is the sky blue?
Why do birds sing?
How does a refrigerator work?

I was just chatting with another ATS member about the way people have their own ideas about the way things work. It reminded me of how, when I was about 4 or 5, I had this idea about How cars worked...

I was positive that the exhaust coming from the back of a car, was it's method of propulsion..Just like a jet, or something..The gasses pushed the car along..
I think images of the 60's batmobile roaring (and for some reason squealing tires) out of the batcave, might have led me to that conclusion!..

Thing is, one day, while sitting in the schoolbus, waiting to go home, on a cold Winters day..I noticed a car...backing up...yet the exhaust, visible in the cold air, was still going in the same direction! How the heck was that possible?
So, I had to ask dad...He explained a piston engine to me..Using a Budweiser can, as a model for the "piston"...OH!!!....now I get it.

How about other members? How did you explain the world to yourself?
I'd love to hear some stories..

SPACE

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I used to hold my arm out the car window to feel the lift on the palm of my hand. My mom would tell me not to do that as we would take off from the ground. Every time I put my arm out the window - like a wing - she would step on the gas like it was making the car start going faster. I truly believed this; for a while.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
You might enjoy this site spacedoubt

iusedtobelieve.com...

I'm sure that there must be some things that I had the wrong idea about as a kid, but I can't remember them right now. It all seems such a long time ago !

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Pantha,

Thats excellent!...I may have to add a few of my own there...very cool, thanks!. I bet you can think of one...think HARDER!

btw..It took me a while, but I think I just passed you in the Seti-totals.
I'm JimDean, there....

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'll have to rack my brains, there must be something, but it's too early in the morning and I need some more coffee in me to function properly

As for you passing me on the SETI board , well , I never really stood a chance did I ? 22 work unit's a day! I can't compete! Well done

new topics

top topics

join