It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hidden dangers of female menstruation products

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
I have no idea how to do mini-quotes as you just did
But damn, I feel like you are picking on the non-conformist

Just some copy-paste, my friend
No I'm not picking on you. Tone of "voice" never comes across well on the internet, but I just question some of your certainties or would like you to expand on them. Man made things are everywhere. Man existing means there will be mad made things. There is no escaping it.

I'm only pointing out the obvious. Nature has been severely mistreated and now we all suffer for it. We are a part of nature.

I agree completely and I'm not suggesting we ignore nature, but we live in a world that has both nature and man made things, and some of us can get along quite well in that harmony. I'm all for treating nature well, and I'm the type that picks up other peoples' trash in the woods or on trails.

If you trace the root of cancer you will find that it evolved due to something that man has created and implemented into our lives. Yes you are right, cell changes are what actually causes cancer to invade but what caused the cell changes in the first place??? Synthetics for one, pollution for two, insecticides for three...need I go on?

Yes
You need go on. Cancer isn't a brand new phenomena. It didn'd suddenly pop up with pollution and synthetic substances. It was around long before anything like that existed. Cancers probably go back as far as life does and as far as cells first dividing. Yes, certain things in our environment cause cancers to form more frequently, and genetic traits cause cancers to form also in some cases. But this isn't a punishment, and man and industry did not cause cancers to suddenly appear on the scene.

All I'm saying is that maybe we are not meant to hide, conceal, cover up or use something "man made" to absorb what nature intended. And if someone said we shouldn't be bleeding freely, then why are we now having to suffer the effects of what can happen by using an absorbant pad or tampon??

Are you suffering from using a pad or tampon? I just asked before who said we shouldn't. It's not something I've ever heard anyone say. If we wanted to be true to nature, all women would be pregnant most of the time so there would be very few periods to worry about anyway, and the debate over what to use would hardly be an issue. Cervical, uterine, and ovarian cancer would go down because of less menstruation, but these rates might also go up due to exposure to STDs and other diseases.

If using a sea sponge works for you, then more power to you. Personally I find the sea sponges hilarious, and the re-usable pads way beyond disgusting and even a little dangerous microbally speaking.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Is that a joke?! What...does it also double as a female crotch enhancer?!

It looks like two lemons, or some angel food cake...

I'm sorry...lol...I just don't see how that could be conventional for a female to use day to day - it's too big and...and....

[edit on 10/21/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

*oops* Edit

You definitely receive an applaud from me for this topic parrhesia
You are so right that women are *taught* to remain hush hush about that time of the month. Even most parents of the previous generation didn't talk about menstruation with their children. Why? Because their parents didn't discuss it either nor their parents and so on...

It boils down to this. We menstruate so we can procreate. There should not be anything gross or embarrassing about our bodies doing what nature intended them to do. So why must it be concealed? It's seems such a painless price to pay for having the ablilty to create human life. Now even that ability is diminishing...

Absolutely, magestica.
Life is beautiful, why should we be ashamed about the natural processes of the very organ that gives life!?!!!

We shouldn't be! Nor should we taint ourselves (anymore than we are already tained with toxins from other sources) by using pads and tampons that contain chemicals and dioxins. Our vaginas are more absorptive than most of the rest of our bodies, so these toxins are being absorded into our bodies. Why continue allowing this to happen when we have alternatives?

[edit on 21-10-2004 by parrhesia]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
That freek Brian from NZ. OMG, I hope he stays there. The world is so awful because we women go to work every day even when we are 'unclean' ...OMG, again. If God didn't want us to go to work, She would of made us rich. LOL.

I've read alot of the same articles that you have posted, and quit using tampons quite a while ago. I cannot believe how so many very young girls use them, and I usually give them the spiel about them not being healthy for us. I can't believe they would be good for pre-sexual girls. But the products you are tallking about are not readily availiable. Maybe by mail order, but I am always leary about ordering thru the mail.

And that kind of brings up another of my pet 'peeves' ...shaving! Only in America are we so obsessed with hairlessness and daily bathing. You wash all the natural oils out of your skin ...you put on deodorant that probably will give you cancer, its amazing what we do to ourselves. Sorry bout the drifting...

In the 'old' days they used rags

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Is that a joke?! What...does it also double as a female crotch enhancer?!

It looks like two lemons, or some angel food cake...

I'm sorry...lol...I just don't see how that could be conventional for a female to use day to day - it's too big and...and....

[edit on 10/21/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

They go inside the vagina, how would they be a crotch enhancer?

And they are not too big, you can trim them down to fit.

Is the look of them really important? They don't contain dioxins or other chemicals when commercial products do. THAT'S what matters, not what they look like.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What's wrong with taking the pill forever?I suppose it's not very natural though.

Also, do these alternatives work at all when the women has a heavy flow?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluelady

But the products you are tallking about are not readily availiable. Maybe by mail order, but I am always leary about ordering thru the mail.

Mailorder, yes. But if you check natural food/health food stores you may be surprised. Most cary cotton non chlorine bleached disposable pads and tampons, some carry the diva cup or the keeper (which I will be posting more info on), and reusable pads. Reusable pads are not hard to make yourself, and sea sponges can also be found in health food stores as well as art stores.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
What's wrong with taking the pill forever?I suppose it's not very natural though.

Also, do these alternatives work at all when the women has a heavy flow?

Yes, they do, ktp. Sea sponge tampons are just like normal tampons, reusable pads just like normal pads, they just require more maintenance.
The diva cup and the keeper are both alternatives that last for up to 10 years and work during all points of a womans cycle.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Well that's it, that goes against the entire idea of 'natural' part really. Also, when an ex of mine was on the pill it f@#ked her up, made her weight go up; had wild mood swings e.t.c. and other things...

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
klasdjflkasdjfsdzsdasdf

post omitted

[edit on 21-10-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Well that's it, that goes against the entire idea of 'natural' part really. Also, when an ex of mine was on the pill it f@#ked her up, made her weight go up; had wild mood swings e.t.c. and other things...

She was probably on the wrong pill or the wrong dose, or this was 20 years ago that she had that experience. The pill has come a LONG way. She could have just been a fat moody b!tch, too

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If you try it, you'll never go back to pads or tampons!

The DivaCup is very sanitary, comfortable, reliable and convenient. It holds one full ounce (30 ml). The entire cycle is an average of 3�4 ounces (90�120 ml). The vagina is continually self�cleansing, washing away dead cells and bacteria. Unlike tampons, The DivaCup is non-absorbent. Since it simply collects the menstrual flow, it does not disturb the natural moisture level in the vagina. Depending on your flow empty 2�3 times per 24 hour day, wash and reinsert. It can be worn up to 12 hours, even overnight.

Diva Cup

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
If we can get back to the way the egyptians did it where the men washed the menstrual rags im all for it, id hate washing that stuff, ick... :p

On the other hand I have used the cups, they are easy to use, comparable to an applicator free tampon, as comftorable as a tampon, if not more because it dosnt swell, you can keep them in longer than a tampon, and as for availability, Im not sure about the states or europe, but i picked mine up at the drugstore.
There are two draw backs to them however, for one they are more expensive than tampons, and two they are a bit messy to use since the cups dont absorb the blood, they just trap it.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon

She was probably on the wrong pill or the wrong dose, or this was 20 years ago that she had that experience. The pill has come a LONG way. She could have just been a fat moody b!tch, too

Modern day birth control pills still alter your bodies hormone level creating side effects, some of which may be weight gain, change in moods, etc.

Birth control, potential side effects

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
She was probably on the wrong pill or the wrong dose, or this was 20 years ago that she had that experience.

Actually she had to change the pill she was using a number of times, in the end she found one that was ok but there were still mild effects. This took place over a period of say the last 2 years, so they haven't got it quite down just yet.

The pill has come a LONG way. She could have just been a fat moody b!tch, too

hahahaha!!!

Well there's always that! Now that you mention it...*thinks*...she lied to me!!!

link   

If you try it, you'll never go back to pads or tampons!

Depending on your flow empty 2�3 times per 24 hour day, wash and reinsert. It can be worn up to 12 hours, even overnight.

Wanna bet?

As for the cup - again I question the cleanliness. If cleaned PROPERLY, then it might not be as bad, but how often do people clean things properly. Take contact lenses, for example. How many people do you know that have used their fingers and saliva to clean their lenses? Infection risk goes up immediately. When in a warm wet place like the vagina with so much available food (blood) bacteria have a little party and can quickly take over in normal conditions. Throw in a poorly cleaned cup left in for 12 hours or overnight, and you have set up a beautiful environment for all sorts of problems. This blood was also meant to be disposed of. Your body wants it OUT. Why keep it inside for half a day or more? Yikes. I'd be all for all natural tampons, but sea sponges look somewhat "ouchy" and the cup is just a little too sketchy.

link   

Originally posted by kastinyque

There are two draw backs to them however, for one they are more expensive than tampons, and two they are a bit messy to use since the cups dont absorb the blood, they just trap it.

You can get them in health food stores and drugstores here.

As for prices... it's more than you would spend at once on normal sanitory tampons or napkins, but at an average of $40 for a device that lasts up to 10 years, it's definitely worth it!!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Modern day birth control pills still alter your bodies hormone level creating side effects, some of which may be weight gain, change in moods, etc.

Yeah yeah yeah I know...
A lot can be done these days to minimize that, though. There are so many different types and stregnths of pill, sometimes it takes a little work to find the right one with the least effect.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Actually this is becoming a more common practice. The pill has three weeks of hormones and one week that's inert. I (under doctors supervision) started my next month's pills instead of the inert ones. Kept me from having my period while spending a summer in the back country of Wyoming. I only did it for a couple of months. I just felt uncomfortable staying on the pills for an extended period of time.

I know that one of the pharmacy companies is actually marketing a "no period" pill using the same methodoloy. Personally, I don't know if I'd do it full time without a few more years of clinical studies. If I find it I'll post it.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
*Just some copy-paste, my friend
No I'n not picking on you.

Thanks my friend
Yours are in stars *

*I agree completely and I'm not suggesting we ignore nature, but we live in a world that has both nature and man made things, and some of us can get along quite well in that harmony. I'm all for treating nature well, and I'm the type that picks up other peoples' trash in the woods or on trails.*

But we are not in harmony? Are you and I living on the same planet? This planet is far from balanced. Nature is dying off left and right.

*Yes
You need go on. Cancer isn't a brand new phenomena. It didn'd suddenly pop up with pollution and synthetic substances. It was around long before anything like that existed. Cancers probably go back as far as life does and as far as cells first dividing. Yes, certain things in our environment cause cancers to form more frequently, and genetic traits cause cancers to form also in some cases. But this isn't a punishment, and man and industry did not cause cancers to suddenly appear on the scene.*

Correct, cancer is not new. But that does not say that it does not exist because people made it exist. Cells began to divide because human beings placed something other than natural substances inbetween humans, animals, and plants, once again- nature. Cancer was formed because of a terrible imbalance or a mixture of toxins and chemicals, some of which are taken directly from nature.

*Are you suffering from using a pad or tampon? I just asked before who said we shouldn't. It's not something I've ever heard anyone say.*

What on earth kind of question is that? lol. No I am not suffering. But women are suffering from using these things. I asked where and when was it ever decided that women should have to place something to conceal or absorb the bleeding during menstruation. It hasn't always been that way. So I'm curious when it became a necessity to have something between a womans legs to soak up the bleeding. I'm sorry I'm the first to ask this question actually.

*If using a sea sponge works for you, then more power to you. Personally I find the sea sponges hilarious, and the re-usable pads way beyond disgusting and even a little dangerous microbally speaking. *

I can't say if it would or would not work for me, I've only just heard of such a thing today.

Also, I do not think women were ever meant to be pregnant all the time. I don't know where you came up with that notion. I think an over abundance of pregnancies can have ill effects on a woman's body as well. That is the reason why we menstruate. To clean and prepare our bodies for ovulation. If a women does not menstruate, it is unlikely she will become pregnant. Not impossible, unlikely.

[edit on 10/21/04 by magestica]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join