It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoa - Chechan rebels shoot down MIL-24 with SAM 7/14 - Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This video is of a group of Chechan rebels using a shoulder fired SAM to take down a Russian MIL-24 gunship. It clearly demonstrates the vulnerablity of even the most heavily armoured helicopters to portable SAMs.
The video shows exactly what happened to the Soviet helicopters in Afghanistan using US supplied Stingers. And what has happened to US helicopters in Iraq.

The video is about 4.5Mb :

users.telenet.be...

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
wow,for some reason i just sorta started hateing that chechan and i dont know why?
it is pretty scary huh, that a $1000 peice of equipemnt can bring down a million dollar helicopter.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
WOW!

That is some insane stuff. It almost looks too easy.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I have windows media player 10.0 and all I get is black window and wav sound.

Seems others are seeing it, I would really like to see it too.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What frightens me is the proclaiming of God is great as they murder people
These people make me sick. I guess the proclaim Gods greatness as they shoot children in the back while fleeing for saftey.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
That guy was possesed whilst shouting his BS chant, made me pretty god damn pissed off

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Judging from the shape of the launcher it looks like an SA-16, one o Russia's most advanced shoulder fired SAMs.

SA-16 GIMLET (Igla-1 9K310) man-portable surface-to-air missile system, a further development from the SA-7 & SA-14 series, is an improved version of the SA-18 GROUSE, which was introduced in 1983, three years before the SA-16. The SA-16 feattures a new seeker and modified launcher nose cover. Whereas the the SA-18 9M39 missile is fitted with an aerodynamic spike on the nose, the 9M310 missile of the SA-16 has the spike replaced with an aerodynamic cone held in place with a wire tripod. On the SA-18 the protective cover of the seeker is conical, on the SA-16 it is tubular with a prominent lip at the forward edge. The 9M313 missile of the SA-16 employs an IR guidance system using proportional convergence logic, and an improved two-color seeker, presumably IR and UV). The seeker is sensitive enough to home in on airframe radiation, and the two-color sensitivity is designed to minimize vulnerability to flares. The SA-16 has a maximum range of 5000 meters and a maximum altitude of 3500 meters.
www.fas.org...

BELOW - SA-16 GIMLET (Igla-1 9K310)

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Was it just me or did it look like the helicopter went down in a controled manner. Which would suggest to me the pilot was not killed in the blast at least.

I have seen footage of helicopters in Afghanistan getting hit with stingers and they just dropped like a stone. This did not look the same is there anyway to know if these guys survived the crash landing.

About all the 'God is Great' chanting the camera man sounded less then enthusiastic when saying it unlike the guy that fired the missile.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I too think that the Heli went down in somewhat a controlled manner. It definatly didnt drop like a stone, till maybe that last hundred feet or so, as I couldn't see it after about that point.

I dont know arabic, or what ever they were speaking, but they both sounded like they were happy for the Heli to go down... Just like the Americans were happy when the bazooka launched in the other videos that Mad Scientist has provided.

[edit on 10/21/04 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
They tried to autorotate to the ground but were too high, both pilots died.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
your right...ive seen footage of helicopters getting nailed in the afghan war back in the 80s and they would just fold in two and smash into the ground...the tails of russian helicopters are lightly armored but the cabin can take a missle hit and not be fataly wounded, thats probably what happened here. Looks like the pilot held it together and did his best to not die. i searched for info about this but found none.

alwayslate with da post...im slow lol

[edit on 21-10-2004 by kessel]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Bump.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kessel
your right...ive seen footage of helicopters getting nailed in the afghan war back in the 80s and they would just fold in two and smash into the ground...the tails of russian helicopters are lightly armored but the cabin can take a missle hit and not be fataly wounded, thats probably what happened here. Looks like the pilot held it together and did his best to not die. i searched for info about this but found none.

alwayslate with da post...im slow lol

[edit on 21-10-2004 by kessel]

I originally saw this video on the Kazkaz.org, which is the official site of the Chechan mujahideen, the site has since been taken down. The article with the video there stated that the pilots were killed.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well, first it made me sick knowing this is not Halo 2, but real men dying in a guerilla war in Russia/Chechnya.. Then it made me think of 9/11, and how they (radical muslim terrorists and other people) cheered that event. Then thought about the bodies of soldiers dragged from our copters and Humvee's. The bodies hung as warning. The roadside terror in Iraq every day.

Then i thought about TIA, Tampa International Airport. MAcdill AFB. So close to the port of Tampa, a very large internation port of call. Can you imagine coordinated surface SAM strikes on airliners? you could have 3 or 4.000 dead in a matter of minutes. this is a very scary scenario. and one that must keep our HOmeland defense on it's toes.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
ok lol

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

I thought if you were to low and going to slow thats when you cant auto-rotate? I know they have what they call the dead mans curve and if your under that curve auto-rotating wont work. I forgot the height and speed for it.

Granted they must have had a number of other factors to deal with besides the dead mans curve getting hit like that. Something like a part of the main rotar destroyed would pretty much screw you I would think.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I couldn't help but notice how everyone responded when presented with actual footage. (See U.S. fire fight as well) It was cheers for the U.S. forces, and "boo hiss" for the Chechens. Maybe it's just me but there was a completely different attitude in the U.S. footage than what you see in the helicopter downing. One of the main things being that the U.S. forces weren't covering their faces when doing their job.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
These were not even US troops, and these Chechens are the same people that started the horrendous school killing in Russia.

Boo Chechen rebels

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I dont know arabic, or what ever they were speaking, but they both sounded like they were happy for the Heli to go down... Just like the Americans were happy when the bazooka launched in the other videos that Mad Scientist has provided.

Thats one of my posts, I tried to be non-bias, stating that the americans were acting in the same way.

I dont know enough of the facts for either case so I wont make a judgement in either case. Both are terrible, both are war, both I dont like to see.

[edit on 10/21/04 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

These were not even US troops, and these Chechens are the same people that started the horrendous school killing in Russia.

Boo Chechen rebels

actually there is a difference between chechen rebels and chenchen terrorist, they are deffinetly not the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join