It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Well, I am actually saddened by this. Iconic Hostess will be closing its doors, Laying off 18000 people, due to a prolonged strike, that crippled its business. No more Twinkies folks, regardless if it was bad for you.

Hostess Brands, baker of iconic Twinkies cakes, said Friday it asked a court's permission to shut down the entire company after a strike crippled its operations. The move shuts down one of the nation's oldest and largest producers of baked goods. Founded in 1930, it produces such well-known brands, aside from Twinkies, as Ding-Dongs, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls and Donettes, not to mention Wonder bread, which the company says is the best-selling white bread in the United States.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies and Ding Dongs, says closing business

This is a big hit to the economy, not to mention an American Icon going bye-bye.

(Mods please move to the right forum if this isn't the right one, thank you)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Better rush out and stock up then......

What's the shelf life of these, something like a thousand years?

No more fried Twinkies at the state fair

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Founded in 1930, it produces such well-known brands, aside from Twinkies, as Ding-Dongs, Ho Ho's...

No more "dongs" or "hos".

Truly is a sad day.

edit on 16-11-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Ohoh .. now its the apocalypse has we know it
hide the thread from this guy :

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
There just will not be a hostess, someones going to buy the twinkie and dong dong names up.
edit on 16-11-2012 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

What will the yanks eat during the apocalypse now??

But seriously though, this is terrible news for all those workers.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

No more dongs or hos.

Truly is a sad day.

so much innuendo....lol
goodbye Twinkies you will be missed.

+26 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
18000 people losing their Jobs, right before Christmas. Looks like the Union didn't help the employees after all.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
NO WONDER BREAD!!! A American Icon lost!

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 16-11-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That is the truth.

I buy these products, and my children eat them also. Not just the cakes, but also the breads.

This isn't good for the economy.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Well there goes the survival plans of 75% of the population! They thought they were going to live off Twinkies in the post-apocalyptic world, so what will they do now?

This seems wrong. Could it be a strategy to break the strike? Will the restructure and re-emerge? Hostess snack cakes are everywhere! Their market share has to be huge! There is just no way they need to close down from lack of sales. Maybe they need to re-tool, and break the strike, and shrink to survive, but closing down permanantly doesn't seem plausible?

+6 more 
link   
18K jobs lost.

I know people will say "someone else will buy them out or replace them". I grew up in Detroit. They said the same thing when the auto plants shut down. Someone will buy the buildings and hire the workers. The foundries and forges are drive through museums now and they old assembly plants are open fields. Nobody hired the workers. and my city became a ghost town.

It's going to be an evil year. Good luck to all.

+edit - if the union reps and employees didn't get paid during a strike (like the workers) this never would have happened. It's easy to play hardball at a board meeting when your kids are being fed.
edit on 16-11-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
link   
Way to go unions!!!!

Protecting American jobs

Further proof unions are nothing but a haven for degenerates and losers.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I used to hide Ho-Hos in my violin case when my parents weren't looking. What a treat it was to drag that case out from under the bed at night and pull apart the pieces to lick the frosting on the inside. What memories!

Even if another company buys the brand it won't be named Hostess. The worst part is all those employees losing their jobs and right before the holidays, too. How sad.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Hostess told a bankruptcy judge it doesn't have enough money to weather an extended strike. Thats the real gist of it.

With it, lost jobs. Lost wages, everything. Company has been around since 1930.

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Another great American company and product killed by Unions.

Unless a corporation is obscenely profitable it will, at some point in the future, inevitably default on a Pension. Mathematically it's a certainty.. and yet we still insist that our primary source of retirement should be from the corporation. This goes for States and Countries as well. They will never be able to absorb the costs in the long run.

Way to go Union workers.. shot yourself in the foot right before the Holidays....

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am truly devastated by this! I loved their food

It is sad to hear about all the people that will lose their jobs also, another hit to the economy

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Way to go Union workers.. shot yourself in the foot right before the Holidays....

What the hell was the Union thinking?

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Some other company will fill in any void left by this closing. Watch that door knob, Hostess.
edit on 11/16/2012 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Bloomberg and Michelle O are probably dancing a jig.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join