It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human skulls are oldest Americans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Tests on skulls found in Mexico suggest they are almost 13,000 years old - and shed fresh light on how humans colonised the Americas. The human skulls are the oldest tested so far from the continent, and their shape is set to inflame further a controversy over native American burial rights.

Traditionally, American Indians were thought to have been the first to arrive on the continent, crossing from Asia on a land bridge. Dr Gonzalez told BBC News Online: "We believe that the older race may have come from what is now Japan, via the Pacific islands and perhaps the California coast. "Mexico appears to have been a crossroads for people spreading across the Americas.

BBC Link

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The kennewick man is still a big controversy in Washington. The skull was that of a Caucasian, which causes questions as to who came first.

Theres also the spirit cave mummies, believed to be tall headheaded caucasians.

And DNA studies of American indians show that they carry a special strain of DNA that appears only in females of Caucasian ancestry. Perhaps the smaller Caucasian bands were assimilated by the Indians?

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I had watched a special on The Learning Channel a while back that the Indian Tribes claiming ownership of the find actually sued to have the remains returned to them and to stop any forensic examinations pertaining to race. I guess from this post, they lost the suit. I'm glad to see it because I absolutly appaul the withholding of facts just to defend a belief or political principle. It will take much more research to determine whether the caucasian race was assimilated or eliminated by the war like tribes of North America.

I think if its proven that so called Native Americans weren't "always here" and weren't the "first to be in America" but that they actually invaded another race already here, they fear it will undermine their claims of past injustices using the same arguments. Not making a personal opinion here just speculating on a reason for their lack of cooperation in the investigation and blatant attempts to stop it.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
its kinda weird that a white females skull would be found and dated to 13,000 years ago but no one really knows how the native americans got here. but to say they invaded another group of people is going alittle far.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well, the skull in the image at the top of the forum is most definately Oriental and NOT Caucasian or Negroid or Aboriginal. Can't tell further than that, though it appears to be male.

(I'm "boning up" on things like this for a graduate school course on Forensic Anthropology that I'll take in the spring... which is how I know what race the skull belongs to.)

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
I had watched a special on The Learning Channel a while back that the Indian Tribes claiming ownership of the find actually sued to have the remains returned to them and to stop any forensic examinations pertaining to race. I guess from this post, they lost the suit.

Actually, they won. It's becoming standard anthropological practice to examine the bones and then rebury them or hand them to the tribe to rebury.

I'm glad to see it because I absolutly appaul the withholding of facts just to defend a belief or political principle. It will take much more research to determine whether the caucasian race was assimilated or eliminated by the war like tribes of North America.

Actually, there may only have been a few of the Caucasioids, ambling across the ice from Vineland or wherever.

I think if its proven that so called Native Americans weren't "always here" and weren't the "first to be in America" but that they actually invaded another race already here, they fear it will undermine their claims of past injustices using the same arguments.

No. After all, Homo Erectus was the first human into China, and nobody's claiming China on behalf of the Africans.

Remember that hominids arose in Africa; that's our most distant ancestral home. Humans didn't just "spring up" from the earth; there's a long chain of history and fossils that show how we gradually changed as we adapted to different climates.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well, I did some digging into this subject and here are some links I found to be more or less scientific in nature and not political..the view I prefer.

www.cabrillo.cc.ca.us...

www.cabrillo.cc.ca.us...

www.cabrillo.cc.ca.us...

"Over the past decade, anthropologists have detected a surprising pattern in the small handful of North American skeletons more than 8,000 years old. The skulls difffer from the populations know historically from the Americas as well as bearing little, if any resemblance to what physical anthropologists had expected to find in the ancestors of the American Indians.

Physical Features of Skulls Older than 8,000 Years From the Americas.

Cheekbones are not pronounced.

Long skull (measured front to back).

Rather prominent noses with high bridges.

Narrow faces with deeper contours.

No shovelling on the incisors.

Little or no facial prognathism (facial forwardness).

Small bilobed or bifurcate chin

When taken as a whole, the skulls of the very ancient inhabitants of the Americas display features more typical of what some scientists call "Caucasoid" traits than "Mongoloid" traits. But by "Caucasoid" scientists do NOT mean they are "Caucasian" in the sense of "white" people today. Rather, they are using the term "Caucasoid" to refer to a branch of ancient, but anatomically modern, peoples who were the ancestors of several branches of historically known people: Europeans, southwest Asians, Indians from the subcontinent of India, west-central Asians, and the Ainu of Japan."

I think this evidence warrants some more research but I think it should be made very clear to native Americans that the search for truth, whatever it may be, will in no way ever justify the horror their people endured. Most human origins have descended through a savage / war like phase(s) and from our own recorded evidence, we know that Native American Tribes had no objection to violent tendencies. An example is the Toterro which were native to the area I was raised in. very warlike tribe, in fact so much so, all other tribes in the area considered them a larger threat than settlers. I think that for the truth to be brought out, every race or religion on Earth are going to have to give up on holding past sins of the fathers as weapons and forge ahead with progress.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join