It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outback travel : live or die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There have been many deaths in the outback over the years when travellers,workers ,tourists have broken down ,become lost or stuck ,and have left their vehicles to find help.Bad idea . It might only be ten k's to the nearest cattle station or roadhouse but when you try and walk it in the summer heat with little or no water ,things can turn very bad and very scary when you realise that after walking a kilometre or 2 your already out of water and are starting to feel like this was a bad idea

I have spent a lot of time travelling through the desert areas on a motorbike ,alone and self sufficient, But one mistake when leaving the track at night to lay your swag down for a rest and you may be lost for eternity.The feeling of waking up in the middle of nowhere with no road or landmark in sight can bring out all sorts of dark feelings and moments of pure terror. to the unprepared.
After a couple of deaths in the last 2 weeks ,I thought it a good time to know the dangers of unprepared travel in Australia's hot desert areas.
www.abc.net.au...

A Victorian man has died after spending 24 hours missing in outback New South Wales.
Two men and a woman went missing around noon on Tuesday when their car broke down about an hour from Broken Hill.
Police say they received a triple-0 call that afternoon from a woman who said she was lost.

and another last week
www.abc.net.au...

Stranded station worker dies in outback Qld
Updated Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:03am AEDT

Station worker Mauritz Pieterse has died and a colleague is recovering in hospital after they became stranded in 45 degrees Celsius heat just 16 kilometres from help in the north-east corner of the Simpson Desert, near Bedourie in western Qld.

There are basic rules for outback travel and here are 3 tips that can save your life
www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com...

Australian Outback Survival Rule #1:
Take enough water. The single most important thing, the only one that really matters out here, is water. Don't work on two litres per person per day, work on ten. As long as you have water you will live. Simple. You can never carry too much water, and you can't survive without. All your fire lighting, grasshopper cooking skills won't do no good if you run out of water. Got that?

Australian Outback Survival Rule #2:
Let someone know where you're going, and when you intend to be back. If nobody notices you missing, nobody will go looking for you. Even the biggest water reserves will run out eventually, and let's face it, grasshoppers may be a delicacy to some, but grasshoppers every day...?

Additional Precautions:
Know thy vehicle. And know what it can and can't do. There are real four wheel drives, and then there are the toy four wheel drives for city slickers. A Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser is real, a BMW X5 isn't...

M

additional material
www.roadlesstravelled.com.au...
www.youtube.com...

beautiful and inspiring

Nothing but spinifex and a lonely twisted tree

If this is you ,best to stay home or go to the shopping mall

Please add your tricks/tips and experiences as you like. Thanks
edit on 14-11-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is a good thread however i just change my 4 wheel drive motor and the replacement motor is second hand and i have no idea on how many kilometers it has i just hope i don't break down in it it runs very nice but i can only find out when i go i think i will be alright though its my first 4 wheel drive and i am learning it all for the first time i have built a recovery pack and i have good mechanical knowledge and tools. all that i need now is a good cb radio and some roof racks hopefully all goes well thanks for posting something to think about.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
dont forget.. drop bears.

lol

great info, it never ceases to amaze me how ppl can die. you are so right. bring water.
so many water!

also watch les hiddens!!

my hero!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Sure take Les along and you will never go hungry
His bush tucker books are invaluable

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hatchetman78

Sounds like you already know what your doing and are a lot more prepared than some .common sense prevails and plenty of water ,maps,and talking to locals about road conditions helps ,avoid the desert in summer if possible

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Yeah I second the bush tucker man,

The barefoot bushman (Rob Bredl) is pretty good for bush tucker too, and I'm sure you know of Malcolm Douglas

Great way to start learning, they make it entertaining but they're not fake and unrealistic like Bear Grylls or anything.

edit on 15-11-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Know thy vehicle. And know what it can and can't do. There are real four wheel drives, and then there are the toy four wheel drives for city slickers. A Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser is real, a BMW X5 isn't...

I would have to agree with this, as so far has been the biggest issue I have came across in my travels, people taking ford falcons down 4wd roads and becoming stranded, or people not understanding the basics of tyre pressures and becoming stuck frame deep in sand.

it boggles my mind that they feel comfortable enough to be out there in the first place while being so under prepared

I was in Kalbari Nation park, in western australia, the parts roads are heavily corrugated and rough. no big deal for me, let my tyres down to about 25ish psi to help float on the road, but on my way out I found a car on the side of the road with a busted sway bar preventing them from moving, so I pulled out my tools and removed the bar so they could continue, while I was doing this they said they had sent there little brother in 35c heat to walk 6 km to the national park gate, which would of been closed by now. for help. hopped in the wagon and sped off, maybe a kilometer up here is this kid, no hat, no sunscreen no water trying to trek back. insane, they could of killed there own brother.

At the same time though, get out ad enjoy the outback, it may be dangerous but go prepared and have a blast. there are a lot of cool places to check out.

My rig for outback travel:
230L fuel capacity,
100L water capacity
food for a month - dry foods and the like
no electronics

A few things I can add:

Carry 2 spare tyres, I have blown 2 tyres within 40 kms on the east coast, luckily I was around towns when it happened.
5-10L of water per person per day - this includes cleaning and dishes.
enough food for a few weeks - dry foods can keep for ages
shade - you will need it, there are not many trees

Get out there and explore!!

edit on 15-11-2012 by cruisn06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If you're car breaks down and you have no way to start it, here's a thought....

You gather a bunch of brush and make a pile. Then you syphone some gas out of your tank. If you don't have a hose you could try and unattach one from inside the engine. Or else, you might need to get under the car and try and either puncture a hole or get to the fuel line to get some gas pouring out. pour some on the brush. then you use your booster cables attached to your battary to create sparks to light it. let it burn, have some fresh stuff ready. Put then on to create smoke. Then you'd be making a smoke signal, that might draw in attention from anyone near by.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cruisn06

You seem outback smart, I'm originally from Tasmania, I learnt alot of tricks when I was a kid from my fathers 4WD group when they went out bush bashing. I'ts amazing how confident people can be to the wilderness in Aus.
For us when going bush: Fuel, water, chainsaw, UHF, salt (keep the leaches off), wench, chain. Little 4WD, short wheel base.

This is just for the bush, for the outback the rig and car would be completely different.

edit on 16-11-2012 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

Thanks, I am orginally from Canada myself, but now live in perth, its the place to be apparently. oh wait. no its not. its the pilbara. haha.

When I head remote I take with me: (this list includes the obvious thing like water and food and basic life tool, this is jsut vehicle related for those who want to travel)
metric spanners 6-24mm
metric sockets 6- 32mm
pliers
vice grips
screw drivers
extra bolts
extra nuts
lock tite
various lubricants - bearing grease, diff oil, tranny oil, engine oil, coolant, brake fluid
1m of fuel line
complete with 4 extra clamps
1m heater hose - good for other things too
upper and lower rad hoses
replacement alternator belts
replacement power steering belts
thermostat
radcap
electric cable
zip ties
duct tape, electrical tape, thread tape
grease gun - only for long trips in harsh terrain
putty
2 part epoxy
fencing wire
hammer
breaker bar/ pry bar
1 spare tie rod end
1 spare front wheel bearing- used part, jsut to help limp out if needed
tyre puncture kit
arb air compressor - permanent mount in cab for daily use
air pressure gauge
deflator
flash light
multimeter
extra electrical connectors
crimpers
spare universal joints
im sure I have more in my box of goodies, basically the car has to have a complete engine failure for me not to make it home.

Dont forget the fridge!!! gotta have the coldies ready

new topics

top topics

join