It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poem For A Happy Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My husband and I have been happily married for over 20 years. It hasn't always been a bed of roses. There have been many trying times with many disagreements- some important, some trivial.

Over the years there have been many times that I wondered if we would make it. During these times a poem would always invariably pop into my mind. The poem is from a plaque that my own mother hung on her wall in the 70s. I have forgotten the name of the poet (Rod something or another) but have always remembered every word of the poem.

I searched and found this poem quoted online and thought I would share it with you all. To me, if you keep this poem in your heart and remember it always you are bound to have a happy marriage- for as you think of it you will remember what love and acceptance is really about:

I do my thing, and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.

I hope that you will also keep these words in mind the next time you disagree with your own significant other. When we accept each other for what we are it IS beautiful!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Awesome, thank you for sharing. Here's one of my favorites.

I touched you hand, and spoke your name,
Your tired eyes opened wide, I looked and saw,
within their depths the loneliness inside,
I embrace your fragile hand in mine,
My warmth took off your chill, the love you put inside my heart,
I keep forever still.

I'm soon going to propose to my Girlfriend. Had to be sappy in twidderpaited, because I'm in Love.
Glad to hear 20years, my parents just had their 35th.

S&F

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Beautiful poem!

If that is but a hint of what lies in your heart your girlfriend will not be able to refuse!
Congratulations!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I cook very well, was a gourmet chef for a few years. That was the deal that sealed it, lol.
Something about a Man that can cook I've heard somewhere. She loves that I'm providing and secure, the winter can be rough sometimes here, but she makes the snow melt and makes me smile..

(Aahhhhhhh. )

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Could this be it...Rod McKuen

There is no wrong side or right side no misery in not being loved only in not loving I learned these truths myself I tell them to you now as you go sailing through the sun on your way towards life

Wasn't very many Rod poets...but I tried to find the poem for you

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Indeed! That was the poet's name! He was really big in the '70s. A lot of his stuff was really beautiful (my mother had a few books of his poetry) but some of it was kind of odd. I remember reading one of his poems that referred to how low a farmer's unmentionables descended.

The one poem stuck in my head though, and every time I have ever gotten peeved at my husband over the years it has popped into my head and given me a more understanding perspective. I swear a few times it has saved his life!

P.S. Not the right poem, but thanks for looking! That one is nice too!

edit on 30-11-2012 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Great... did I find the right poem you were referring to in your original post?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Not the right poem, but definitely the right poet. Thanks for trying!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Well one out of 2 isn't bad...at least now you can research him and see if you can find it.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Wow, that IS beautiful. I love it! I'll have to write that down somewhere. That is so true. I wish I had another good poem to counter that one with. However, my mind is currently blank. Thanks for sharing!

new topics

top topics

join