It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the deciding factor be Laura versus Teresa?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Could Teresa Heinz-Kerrys outspoken ways spell touble for Kerry's Presidential hopes?

WASHINGTON In the households of most married couples in America, it's now the norm: working husband, working wife.But when it comes to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, public attitudes toward the appropriate roles for the wives of presidents and presidential candidates remain so traditional that spouses who stretch the boundaries risk rebuke at the polls.

In this year's campaign, Laura Bush, a more traditional first lady than even her mother-in-law, is considered such political gold that she's featured in most of President Bush's TV ads. In contrast, the outspoken, Mozambique-born Teresa Heinz Kerry who would be a less familiar sort of presidential wife is viewed as a mixed blessing for Sen. John Kerry.

www.usatoday.com...

Teresa seems to go out of her way to get exposure! If Kerry dosen't keep her under wraps she may cause more harm then he needs! I am all for outspoken women who speak their minds but she is very untraditional and it seems the people who are undecided tend to stick to the more traditional values that Laura Bush portrays.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Simply put, if this is the deciding factor, we Americans do not deserve all that we have..

I believe it won't be the deciding factor, because I have faith in my fellow citizens.

- Attero

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I dont have faith in the citizens any more. This is such a shallow take on the presidency, it will probably come down to who's better suited to wear the skirt at the White House.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
T.H.K.

Has a bit of a dissconnection between her brain and mouth..That filter of appropriateness is missing..I guess that makes her outspoken. But she REALLY slams people, before thinking things through..

For example, the whole "Laura Bush Has never had a Job" comment..
She later apologized, but usually it's too late, once the comment is made..

Then, there is the whole chokehold thing...

I know, I know...It's just the camera angle..
But, do you think Tereza, might have this fantasy?

Does the first lady make a difference in the election...I think so, I think it has always been that way...After all, is there anyone else who has better access to the prez?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Stepford Wife needs to go down.

Teresa will be an AWESOME first lady, she's a strong woman and she's not afraid to be her own person.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Some Teresa snaps for you.

And some of the evil stepford wife librarian.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I though Going down was part of being a Stepford Wife?

Is that not true.....?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Since someone brought up the comment, here, I'll ask my question here.

Teresa said that she didn't think Laura ever had a real job. They responded by saying that Laura worked as a librarian / teacher for 10 years. They didn't say anything else. Has she only worked 10 years of her life?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Is ten years not enough?
Maybe she wanted to actually take part in raising her kids, or something "freaky" like that?

Nerdling,

Is that a Five-o-clock shadow on your First "Laura" picture?

[edit on 20-10-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm just surprised she's close to 60 years old and has worked all of 10 years in her entire life. She's 60ish, her kids are 20ish, she's worked 10ish, looks like there's at least a 10 year gap in there where she did ... what? Or has she worked more than just 10 years in her life? I'd damn well hope so. I'm not even half her age and I've almost worked 10 years.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well, raising those two brats should have kept her busy. Im not saying that raising kids is easy, I know better. They are two brats who inherited their fathers genes, hmmm... with a thirst for alcohol and drugs and the arrogance that goes with it.
I have no problem with the first lady, i think she did the job as best she could while having to deal with her trashed husband and HIS family.
I think Teresa is capable of saying many things, and I also think this comment again, as all the others was twisted and taken out of context to make the Kerrys look bad. Oh, well, it should all end soon...or will it?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I doubt that she would issue this apology, if it were taken out of context..

"I had forgotten that Mrs. Bush had worked as a school teacher and librarian, and there couldn't be a more important job than teaching our children. As someone who has been both a full time mom and full time in workforce, I know we all have valuable experiences that shape who we are. I appreciate and honor Mrs. Bush's service to the country as First Lady, and am sincerely sorry I had not remembered her important work in the past."

Kudos to THK for the apology, but the truth caught up to her...She HAD to issue that statement..

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I doubt that she would issue this apology, if it were taken out of context..

It's called damage control.

Sometimes its better just to flat out apologise for a mistake that people have percieved coming from you than to stand and argue it.

Lets face it, this is right wing ammo, it needed to be quashed ASAP.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I doubt she made the comment knowing that Laura had worked as a teacher / librarian / whatever for 10 years. Probably just slipped her mind. If I am like most people, when this whole issue came up, I bet alot of Americans had no clue what type of career Laura Bush had. Maybe the Republican fan boys with Bush family posters up in their room did, but I doubt the average American did

Anyone know for sure whether she was out in the workplace for more than just the 10 years she served as a teacher / librarian?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'm deathly afraid the deciding factor in this election will be the electronic voting machines. All of the companies that make them, every single one of them are outspoken supporters of the GOP, and in many cases have already been busted installing 'improper' software into the machines. Frequent crashes, rushed legislations...No paper record in a democratic election? uh yeah.... Demand a paper ballot folks, no matter what party you support, if they won't give you one, raise hell until either they give you a piece of paper or the media shows up. It doesn't matter who you support, this is plain slap in the face wrong. The media has you guys bickering about first lady this and ketchup baron that while they are busy setting up a system to insure it isn't going to make a flip what the people decide. As I have said before, there is only one real political party in this country, the industrialists. The two party illusion is an age old tactic, order from chaos, devide and conquer, whatever you want to call it, but we are all victims of the implications, and the threat to the soverignty of the american people is very real indeed. NO PAPER RECORD of your vote folks...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I knew she was a librarian but never a teacher. We should look into this.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NerdlingLets face it, this is right wing ammo, it needed to be quashed ASAP.

This could be pretty big. My wife is a "stay at home mom" and anytime someone makes the remark about stay at home moms not having a job...O boy! I don't think that men will do more than chuckle at the remark, but this won't sit well with women voters. It shows that she's out of touch. Not the direction that they need to go. They really need to give her a script or something at least until November.

Regan had the same problem, only it was him instead of his wife. Whenever the reporters asked questions it was time to crank up the chopper and make sure that no one could hear him. Keeping reporters out of earshot is a good idea.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If it was then John Kerry better divorce Teresa real quick. There is no contest between Laura and Teresa! There is a reason we haven't seen much of Teresa this election. John is trying to keep her low so she doesn't say something incredibly stupid. That is one smart move John..........no really.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by NerdlingLets face it, this is right wing ammo, it needed to be quashed ASAP.

This could be pretty big. My wife is a "stay at home mom" and anytime someone makes the remark about stay at home moms not having a job...O boy! I don't think that men will do more than chuckle at the remark, but this won't sit well with women voters. It shows that she's out of touch. Not the direction that they need to go. They really need to give her a script or something at least until November.

Regan had the same problem, only it was him instead of his wife. Whenever the reporters asked questions it was time to crank up the chopper and make sure that no one could hear him. Keeping reporters out of earshot is a good idea.

But it is NOT a job. She's not a declared homemaker or housewife. That can be a job if she declares it. She is UNEMPLOYED. They are born and bred members of the silver spoon crowd that never did a day of hard work in his life.

You seriously think they didnt have 5 nannies taking care of every little whim? I think women in America are smarter than this. Especially after a Bush/Cheney official was quoted as saying "women who vote kerry are an embarassment" on Fox.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
On MSNBC they had a popular vote poll of the candidates several weeks ago. They showed the poll, then they showed the next poll, about the wives. "That's odd," I thought.

But it gets worse.

The poll was over which potential first lady had the better recipe. They had released a favorite recipe of both and I guess every housewife in America tried them out and then logged on to cast their vote. (Laura's pumpkin spice pie or something won).

What was MSNBC thinking? "Let's just take that All-American stay-at-home mom image and run with it! The only thing better could be getting rid of their voting rights! Sweet!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join