It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Looking at Legality of Arming Syrian Rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Britain is examining if it’s legal to supply arms to Syrian rebels under clauses of a European Union embargo that allow exemptions in cases of humanitarian suffering, an official in Prime Minister David Cameron’s office said.

The re-election of Barack Obama as U.S. president and Cameron’s visit to the Middle East, which ended yesterday with a trip to a refugee camp on the Syrian-Jordanian border, provide a fresh impetus to look at ways of toppling Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, said the official, who declined to be named in line with U.K. government practice. Cameron wants all options back on the table, the official said.

www.businessweek.com... -dot-k-dot-looking-at-legality-of-arming-syrian-rebels

I kind of half expected to this to happen with the GOP being denied the White House for another four years.

As i alluded to in another thread of mine regarding the deployment of Patriot missiles to Turkey in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com..., i fear that the flooding of the current environment with weapons will only lead to more prolonged bloodshed and not bring this conflict to an end.

I find it interesting and curious that the UK, being one of the main proponents for blocking Russian aid to the Syrian regime, is now attempting to find "other" legal loop wholes in which they can do the exact same thing Russia wanted to do, to arm one side of the conflict.

UK also appears to be more active in criticizing the other powers in play outside of Syria.

The U.K. wants to put more pressure on Russia and China to drop their support for Assad, the official said. Cameron, describing Obama as “a re-elected president with a new mandate,” said he was looking forward to working with him on the issue.

In my opinion these actions and criticisms are indirectly linked to the US election. Whether these actions/comments were held back until after the election or are the product of the results of the election, I would appreciate my fellow members input.

I think we can all agree that we just want the violence to end in this Region with the death toll reaching apporx 38, 000 dead to date. With news weapons in hand, I fear the conflict can only intensify and perhaps spread to neighboring regions, like it has already in some instances into Turkey.

edit on 8-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Glad I re-read your post, as I was going to comment on Turkey's request to dump Patriots into the area. Heard that on the news tonight on my way into work.

I think you're absolutely correct in stating that the situation will escalate, and I personally believe the announcement was tied to the election. There were rumors of creating NATO safe zones in Syria before the election ... seems that dog is ready to hunt now.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Marry those thoughts into the leaders of Britain and Germany meeting whilst the result of US elections become know and I would say that something else is afoot and this news seems to back that notion up.

I know Merkel and Camerons dinner is only mentioned in the media as being about the EU budget, but I am sure the presidential election in the US and other topics where discussed and agreements reached.
edit on 8/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I still do not understand what makes our politicians (UK) think that we are a country with any real power. Why does Cameron prance around like they give a # what we think and like we have the power to really do anything about it.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I hope there will be some oversight as to whom receives these new weapons. Wouldn't want them falling into the hands of those rebels being accused of war crimes. What would it make us if we are arming those who use those weapons to comment war crimes?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8-11-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

The UK has tremendous power and influence. Just look at their relationship with the EU.

When your as old as a civilization as the UK, you dont get to be where you are without having your finger prints everywhere.

Though this is cliche to say this on a website like ATS but, there is a lot we dont see or hear about with regards to real geo politics.

top topics

join