It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore Speaks at Georgetown University

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Did anyone hear Al Gore on C-SPAN the other day? He was speaking at Georgetown University, mostly on the war on Iraq. I have to say I was very impressed with the speech. For those who haven't read it or seen it here's a partial transcript to that speech.

Al Gore Speaks on Iraq
t r u t h o u t | Speech

Monday 18 October 2004

Gaston Hall, Georgetown University
Washington, D.C.

Text of the speech, as prepared:

I have made a series of speeches about the policies of the Bush-Cheney administration - with regard to Iraq, the war on terror, civil liberties, the environment and other issues - beginning more than two years ago with a speech at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco prior to the administration's decision to invade Iraq. During this series of speeches, I have tried to understand what it is that gives so many Americans the uneasy feeling that something very basic has gone wrong with our democracy.

There are many people in both parties who have the uneasy feeling that there is something deeply troubling about President Bush's relationship to reason, his disdain for facts, an incuriosity about new information that might produce a deeper understanding of the problems and policies that he wrestles with on behalf of the country. One group maligns the President as not being intelligent, or at least, not being smart enough to have a normal curiosity about separating fact from myth. A second group is convinced that his religious conversion experience was so profound that he relies on religious faith in place of logical analysis. But I disagree with both of those groups. I think he is plenty smart. And while I have no doubt that his religious belief is genuine, and that it is an important motivation for many things that he does in life, as it is for me and for many of you, most of the President's frequent departures from fact-based analysis have much more to do with right-wing political and economic ideology than with the Bible. But it is crucially important to be precise in describing what it is he believes in so strongly and insulates from any logical challenge or even debate. It is ideology - and not his religious faith - that is the source of his inflexibility. Most of the problems he has caused for this country stem not from his belief in God, but from his belief in the infallibility of the right-wing Republican ideology that exalts the interests of the wealthy and of large corporations over the interests of the American people. Love of power for its own sake is the original sin of this presidency.

FULL SPEECH:
www.truthout.org...
moveonpac.org...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I read a little of it earlier, but did not finish it. He speaks with a fire and authority I desperately wish he had employed in the 2000 race. I might have voted for him. Being free from the chains of office has certainly done him a world of good.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
& saw the speech. He laid the wood to Team Bush & then some. No hype, just metered, clear, rhetoric free dissection.
It is so refreshing to see people like Kerry & Gore speak because they are articulating ideas. Thoughts that have been mentally vetted. Contrast that with the scripted moments of Bush and it really makes you sad about what's been representing our country for the past 4 years.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
These were some of my favorite moments in his speech

For example, we now know, from the 9/11 Commission that the chief law enforcement office appointed by President Bush to be in charge of counter-terrorism, John Ashcroft, was repeatedly asked to pay attention to the many warning signs being picked up by the FBI. Former FBI acting director Thomas J. Pickard, the man in charge of presenting Ashcroft with the warnings, testified under oath that Aschroft angrily told him "he did not want to hear this information anymore."

----------------------------------------------------------

Just as the appointment of industry lobbyists to key positions in agencies that oversee their former employers has resulted in institutionalized corruption in the abandonment of the enforcement of laws and regulations at home, the outrageous decision to brazenly violate the law in granting sole-source, no-bid contracts worth billions of dollars to Vice President Cheney's company, Halliburton, which still pays him money every year, has convinced many observers that incompetence, cronyism and corruption have played a significant role in undermining U.S. policy in Iraq.

---------------------------------------------------------

Massive incompetence? Endemic corruption? Official justification for torture? Wholesale abuse of civil liberties? Arrogance masquerading as principle? These are new, unfamiliar and unpleasant realities for America. We hardly recognize our country when we look in the mirror of what Jefferson called, "the opinion of mankind." How could we have come to this point?

Like I said, I was very impressed with Gore's speech. He hit the nail on the head almost every time.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What a sad and embittered man.
Personally, I consider him as comic relief...cause if losing the election to Bush is causing him to go off the proverbial deep-end, I would certainly hate to imagine what 9/11 would have done to him...

seekerof

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sad and embittered? Not at all. That view is projection. On the contrary, he's a man filled with righteous indignation, finally unfettered and able to speak his mind. The very thing BushCo. wants to stomp out.

Them truthtellers is dangrus.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
These were some of my favorite moments in his speech
---------------------------------------------------------
the outrageous decision to brazenly violate the law in granting sole-source, no-bid contracts worth billions of dollars to Vice President Cheney's company, Halliburton, which still pays him money every year, has convinced many observers that incompetence, cronyism and corruption have played a significant role in undermining U.S. policy in Iraq.

Uhh, what laws were broken, Al? This has been debunked so many times it's getting ridiculous. Democrats scream "Halliburton!" like it's some kind of mantra. They don't mention that Clinton also awarded contracts to Halliburton.

They also conveniently forget to mention that Halliburton is one of only a few companies in the world capable of doing the work.

Massive incompetence? Endemic corruption? Official justification for torture? Wholesale abuse of civil liberties? Arrogance masquerading as principle? These are new, unfamiliar and unpleasant realities for America. We hardly recognize our country when we look in the mirror of what Jefferson called, "the opinion of mankind." How could we have come to this point?

Not a fact in the whole diatribe. Just more rhetoric and wailing from him. It makes for good sound bites, though "Look in the mirror of the opinion of mankind"??? WTF does that mean?

Like I said, I was very impressed with Gore's speech. He hit the nail on the head almost every time.

Well, I will give him this - at least he wasn't drunk this time, like he was the time he screamed "He betrayed us! He preyed upon our fears!". And his hair was combed a little better, too, although not as well as Breck Boy's.:lol

Give it up, Al. You lost, despite the Dem's best attempts to steal the election.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Defending Halliburton?
How pathetic. Are you aware of the fact that Dick Cheney is largely responsible for privatising much of the military for his beloved Halliburton & subsids? How greedy and foolish. National security means nothing to him and his ilk. It's all about the bottom line. But hey Jsobecky - keep defending the indefensible!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
But I'll leave the easy meat alone!

Al Gore is twice th man Barbara Bush is and 10 times the president Dim Son could ever be!
But hey, you vote your black little heart!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If the media is controlled by liberals, they are doing a sucky job. I only know about the speech because of Randi Rhodes.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Halliburton Bad! Al Gore Good! Repeat a hundred times until you begin to believe it, and all you need to do is whine Halliburton! and you get all mad! It works well on teeny-boppers, I'd suspect.

I'm sorry - you guys make me laugh. You remind me of the hippie punk boyfriend of Jenny in the movie Forrest Gump. As he's getting onto the bus he's warily watching Forrest and he's whining "It's that damned Nixon!"

And Forrest is this close to taking a bite out of his a**.

You guys crack me up.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

jsobecky: Uhh, what laws were broken, Al?

ECK: Dick Cheney is largely responsible for privatising much of the military for his beloved Halliburton & subsids.

Not only that but Bush also broke the law by refusing to release the Ronald Regan papers. Now that is definetely required by law. Defend that one if you can.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
losing the election to Bush is causing him to go off the proverbial deep-end[/i

He can't go off the deep end - he's already swimming in the pool.
Poor Al is a wingnut. I too am very glad that he wasn't in the
White House on 9/11. The poor guy would have invited the
terrorists to hug a tree in a buddhist temple or something ...

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Halliburton Bad! Al Gore Good! Repeat a hundred times until you begin to believe it, and all you need to do is whine Halliburton! and you get all mad! It works well on teeny-boppers, I'd suspect.

I'm sorry - you guys make me laugh. You remind me of the hippie punk boyfriend of Jenny in the movie Forrest Gump. As he's getting onto the bus he's warily watching Forrest and he's whining "It's that damned Nixon!"

And Forrest is this close to taking a bite out of his a**.

Halliburton Good! Al Gore Bad! No wonder we're seeing opposite ends of the stick. You must be repeating the same thing I am. Only the opposite! Thanks for clearing that up. So I guess neither one of us is right.

You guys crack me up!

Well, at least you're having fun.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

losing the election to Bush is causing him to go off the proverbial deep-end

Oh give me a break. Al Gore would've done the same thing Bush did on 9/11.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, I will give him this - at least he wasn't drunk this time

So you're saying Al Gore is alcoholic? Geez, what a coiencidence. Oh, wait a minute. What difference does it make? Dubya is an alcoholic too.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

losing the election to Bush is causing him to go off the proverbial deep-end

When Kerry wins this election, it's gonna be funny as hell watching the collective meltdown of BushCo.

If Bush wins, it's gonna be funny as hell watching the indictments come down, starting with Tom DeLay, roach killer extraordinaire. Then the impeachment of Shrub (Cheney's fallguy) will come, just as Nixon's did. So, either way, it'll work out just fine.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
When Kerry wins this election, it's gonna be funny as hell watching the collective meltdown of BushCo.

If Bush wins, it's gonna be funny as hell watching the indictments come down, starting with Tom DeLay, roach killer extraordinaire. Then the impeachment of Shrub (Cheney's fallguy) will come, just as Nixon's did. So, either way, it'll work out just fine.

It will be funny as hell. The house of cards is already starting to tumble starting with Mr. Government Tom Delay. I can't wait to see it all unfold.

top topics

join