It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Disappearance of Ashley, Kansas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Ok,

so have found quite a bizarre story from Kansas, if anyone is aware of this story or are near Kansas it would be really nice to here your input and if any what you might have heard,

so far my searching has turned up that this is not a hoax, and they only picture is the one above,

what does my ATS friends think of this?

Sometime during the night of August 16th, 1952, the small town of Ashley, Kansas ceased to exist. At 3:28am on August 17th, 1952, a magnitude 7.9 earthquake was measured by the United States Geological Survey. The earthquake itself was felt throughout the state and most of the midwest. The epicenter was determined to be directly under Ashley, Kansas. When state law enforcement arrived at what should have been the outskirts of the farming community, they found a smoldering, burning fissure in the earth measuring 1000 yards in length and approximately 500 yards in width. The depth of the fissure was never determined. After twelve days, the state-wide and local search for the missing 679 residents of Ashley, Kansas, was called off by the Kansas State Government at 9:15pm on the night of August 29th, 1952. All 679 residents were assumed to be dead. At 2:27am on August 30th, 1952, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake was measured by the United States Geological Survey. The epicenter was situated under what used to be the location of Ashley, Kansas. When law enforcement investigated at 5:32am, they reported that the fissure in the Earth had closed.

In the eight days leading up to the disappearance of the town and its 679 residents, bizarre and unexplainable events were reported by dozens of residents in Ashley, Kansas and law enforcement from the surrounding area.

Source

edit on 5/11/12 by Phatdamage because: cant spell

edit on 5-11-2012 by Gemwolf because: Added source

edit on Mon Nov 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Mon Nov 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Now if this sounds crazy, remember the Chinese village that disappeared?

One on “the end of the Qinling Mountains to a village to disappear overnight,” the post pass crazy on the network, especially in the micro-Bo was crazy reserved. After many journalists confirmed that the network confirmed rumors of the news department.
“I have heard, yesterday 4:00, the end of a village in the Qinling Mountains, all disappeared overnight! … … There are a large number of troops sealed off the scene … …”

Baidu Post Bar in the Qinling reporter saw a lot of friends concerned about the so-called “foot of the Qinling Mountains next village disappeared.” More users skeptical on the matter.

Reporters today (13), respectively, to Shaanxi Provincial Public Security Bureau, Shaanxi Military District, and the Qinling Mountains surrounding Hanzhong, Ankang, Baoji, Xi’an, Shangluo confirmation, the parties did not receive any relevant reports have indicated that Network attached network belongs to the rumors.

video of apparent blue ufo in qinling mountains, Occurred 13/10/10.It is rumoured that in the quiling mountains ,at 4 in the morning a number of villages began to disappear,after a blue light appeared over mountain area.The army blocked the site.Sohu news.. journalists through multi party confirmed the news..There was a large number of troops at the area...

edit on 5/11/12 by Phatdamage because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2012 by Gemwolf because: Fixed tags

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Creepypasta are essentially internet horror stories, passed around on forums and other sites to disturb and frighten readers. The name "Creepypasta" comes from the word "copypasta", an internet slang term for a block of text that gets copied and pasted over and over again from website to website. Creepypastas are sometimes supplemented with pictures, audio and/or video footage related to the story, typically with gory, distorted, or otherwise shocking content.

Did you really believe this story?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Epic thread! This is the stuff I came to ATS for. None of that US political rubbish when we all know that the 'elections' don't count for jack.

As for the disappearing villages...could it be aliens experimenting on people? Perhaps the radiation burnt the people. Although I don't know how the dead came back to life. Maybe they didn't die or go missing but rather got taken away into another dimension/ onto a space ship, experimented on and then returned? Or a rift opening up in the space time continuum that transports people across dimensions? The mind boggles

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Neat story.
It kinda reminds me of Steven King's Under the Dome.

Oh yeah, could you add the link please?
edit on 5-11-2012 by AnimositisominA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato

Creepypasta are essentially internet horror stories, passed around on forums and other sites to disturb and frighten readers. The name "Creepypasta" comes from the word "copypasta", an internet slang term for a block of text that gets copied and pasted over and over again from website to website. Creepypastas are sometimes supplemented with pictures, audio and/or video footage related to the story, typically with gory, distorted, or otherwise shocking content.

Did you really believe this story?

i saw that as well, but i couldn't find anywhere that the story of Ashley Kansas was a hoax

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
We do this for research purposes. We orbit a planet, grab a small community and take them...fully intact and healthy...back home to our world. Then, after our research is complete they can become a museum, zoo or tourist attraction. Its win-win for all involved. Those abudcted get the trip of their life time, and we get the knowledge and entertainment. Please stop calling us creepy. Its hurting our feelings.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
Neat story.
It kinda reminds me of Steven King's Under the Dome.

Oh yeah, could you add the link please?
edit on 5-11-2012 by AnimositisominA because: (no reason given)

of course sir: Original Story

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

It gave me a chill....I'll just bet the dramatized audio version late at night is a real hoot.

Great thread OP! Talk about..spooky to read. I skimmed through this quick and it is a fully dramatized version by what I caught. Now I'll go back and listen to all of it. 4am here and not that far from the spot. (shiver)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I guess they're not in Kansas anymore Toto

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

where would Ashley be on the map? is there any location your aware of?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

I'll be asking around about it at college today. I'm particularly interested about the possibility of any kind of quake. That's something the archives in the library at school will have with a quick check. That's paper and original old stuff. It's there if it happened is my thinking. Maybe not so much for digital, right? I'll certainly be back tonight, if not dropping a note from class machines to let the thread know what that produced. Heck, it's a solid physical thing to check and easy enough.

I've probably just been up to long....and read a couple stories of real 'ghost villages' over history...but I sure got a weird chill reading through that. Just.. odd. It's enough to certainly check a couple things in the records they have there.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If I had to bet, I'd wager that you will not find one credible face to face human who could verify any part of this story.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I found this to be interesting til I looked into it. It was too good to be true I thought and well seems like it is.

There is NO record what so ever on the USGS of an earthquake of this magnitude like the article states. All you have to do it a little googling to know this didn't happen.

Nice story but it seems like it's not true. If there were an earthquake of that magnitude it would be listed ALL over the place in history records of earthquakes, yet it isnt.

Here is a wiki list of high magnitude earthquakes and this one is NOT on there. So it didn't happen!
List of Earthquakes

The USGS history of earthquakes in Kansas, again this 7.9 in Ashley is NOT listed.
USGS Kansas earthquake history

I can't even find that Ashley, Kansas exists. It's not on Google Earth or Google Maps.

Sorry I call hoax on this one for sure.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This story was from the Creepypasta Wiki site, which is where they post horror/paranormal short stories.

The rights to all content posted here belong to the writers. Please do not attempt to use the stories in this wiki for your own personal profit. This wiki is non-profit and all stories are posted here for personal enjoyment. If your writing appears here and you wish to have it removed, please email [email protected] or message an admin directly.

creepypasta.wikia.com...

One big point to think about that sticks out like a sore thumb in this story.....Name a police department in 1952 that had the money to buy a helicopter. The Bell 47 was certified for civilian use in 1946, but the first police helicopter didn't fly until the 1960s IIRC.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

That was my big "whhaaaa!!??" moment too.

Cool story though.

reply to post by Skyfloating

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

As someone pointed out during the discussion about it, it's loosely based on a Twilight Zone episode where the hate of a small town turns the sky black, and it starts to spread across the world.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Aww man! I was so excited about this story and then saw the source was creepy pasta

It is still a great story, though!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'll see what i can find out about this I live a couple hours from there and i might even take a drive out there some time and have a look.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join