It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Remember

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Proper bonfire prayers around a fire in the middle of the street...

edit on 5/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
It should be our Politicians, Bankers and Police force that we burn this evening. Corrupt totalitarian scum that they are! Just because Guy Fawkes failed does not mean 60 million of us UK citizens would!

edit on 5-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

Not sure about elsewhere but those are the figures made into effigy and burnt under the Sussex bonfire council..

if you search on lewes bonfire or any of the Sussex bonfires I am sure you'll see a representative list..

You should be able to find effigies of politicians such as Blair, Brown, Bush Cameron, Clegg Obama etc, the Media such as the BBC, Murdock etc, disgraced celebrities, bankers (usually as fat cats) the Police (unusually as Pigs in helmets) and all the other people on the naughty list end up on a tableaux and paraded through the town to boos and shouts, then burnt..

Due to how many naughty people we have Sussex bonfires now take a whole season to complete, starting in September (Uckfield) and ending in Late November ( Hawkhurst ) Lewes and Lindfield take center stage for the 5th

Am sure they'll be some interesting ones in Lewes later.. sadly I won't be able to attend as my dog (ex gun dog) will be freaking out all night due it being more like WW3 here..

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I do feel for the poor animals. My dog will be cowering around my ankles most if not all of the evening. Cheers for the info.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ph03n1x
here in the UK today is the day we all build our fires and burn our guys!
why? do i hear you ask?
we do this because it has been taught to us since childhood that it's tradition

Aye, it is. We've been doing it for possibly thousands of years.

Just that after the gunpowder plot, more and more people started burning effigies of Guy Fawkes as opposed to other unpopular people of the time (the Pope used to be a common figure, before then) and the date shifted from 31st Oct to 5th Nov.

Bonfire night is simply Halloween. Or, more correctly, Samhain, Summer's end.

now wrong with keeping the old traditions
Even if most have forgotten what they are about.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Well you'd not like to live around here, they tend to throw rookies around quite a bit (rookies are modified crow and deer scarers) and a high number of people end up at the Sussex County Eye hospital with eye injuries similar to those caused by grenades, adult are not safe let alone animals.. the whole town is covered by "violenti non fit injura" a common law which is used along the lines of "if you get blown up it's your own fault"

So my animals will be safe indoors and even though mine is an ex gun dog she'll be still be freaking out all night.. given this carries on for on average 10 weeks I won't be getting another dog when she sadly passes (she is 12) and as much as I love my counties contrary traditions it does become a tad difficult when you lose so much sleep week after week..

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Originally posted by Ph03n1x
here in the UK today is the day we all build our fires and burn our guys!
why? do i hear you ask?
we do this because it has been taught to us since childhood that it's tradition

Aye, it is. We've been doing it for possibly thousands of years.

Just that after the gunpowder plot, more and more people started burning effigies of Guy Fawkes as opposed to other unpopular people of the time (the Pope used to be a common figure, before then) and the date shifted from 31st Oct to 5th Nov.

Bonfire night is simply Halloween. Or, more correctly, Samhain, Summer's end.

now wrong with keeping the old traditions
Even if most have forgotten what they are about.

Not complexity forgotten down here on the coast, many (thousands) still believe that by burning an effigy of the Pope they can keep Catholicism at bay, which is handy I guess as I doubt they'd really want to Pope to see all the "no popery" banners that hang across the streets..

However saying burning an effigy is a bit of an understatement really..
www.youtube.com...
And I am a Roman Catholic.. LOL

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If ya wanna watch some live streaming of the London V re-enactment...supposed to begin at 8 pm London time...lest than an hour and a half from now...

www.ukanonymousevents.com...

This facebook event page is keeping pretty up to date: www.facebook.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
And thee was me thinking I hate this stupid charade then someone posts about burning all the characters I hate in life. The greedy, self fulfilling, megalomaniac, money grabbing, pleb crushing little pieces of excrement! That really pleases me and makes me more tolerant. It hasn't helped the cat though!!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I stay in Glasgow so i know what the wee neds can be like. Glad to hear your staying in doors. safer that way, eh?

I just lost a dog not that long ago, her name was Monica. Dont know how old she was as we got her off the street, probably about 10-12 years old. Had her nearly 7 years and had to get her put down due to cancer. That without doubt was the hardest thing i have ever done in my 37 years on this plane of existence. Good luck to you and your dog! Nice to meet you.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Nice to meet you to
sorry to hear about the dog.. I understand where you are coming from regards the difficulty of some decisions.. and I honestly think it might be easier if those throwing fireworks where Neds/Chavs, however it is one of those strange traditions that most people partake in (I think there is something in our water
)

You might be surprised given the state of H&S Britain but the last time the police tried to ban them (they're illegal anyway) the police spent most of an evening on the receiving end of barrage after barrage, so have given that notion up, and the best the Police could do this year was advise people to wear safety goggles and ear defenders.

The local habit to make loads of political effigies is tempered with a the tributes and I'll share one with you from this year, posted a couple of hours ago, this time a tribute... "One final step for Neil"

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien44
And thee was me thinking I hate this stupid charade then someone posts about burning all the characters I hate in life. The greedy, self fulfilling, megalomaniac, money grabbing, pleb crushing little pieces of excrement! That really pleases me and makes me more tolerant. It hasn't helped the cat though!!

Some of the more interesting effigies for you... my all time favourite first...

Cameron and Clegg
tableaux titled "A Bunch of Cu ts."
Clegg, the value added Tory
Murdoch and Brooks
Beware the greedy Pig Virus
40ft effigies of Piggies with their snouts in the trough.
Fat Cat Banker abusing a piggy bank
Obama and Darling
Palin and O'blimey Obama
Blair and Brown as punch and judy

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Excellent effigie!

R.I.P Neil Armstrong.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well, it seems the topical 20(ish) ft effigy of Merkel doing a Nazi Salute and bursting out of the Greek Acropolis made it onto the Wall Street Journal blogs..

blogs.wsj.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join