It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If your child is failing or grades are poor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It's around that time that grades are starting to come home. Some are great and we're very proud parents, others...not so much.

Some classes have a final exam where what they've done so far is tested again at the end, other classes build on prior knowledge and if you child is already behind, the remaining portion of the class is going to be very difficult.

Aside from the usual reccomendations such as make up work, staying after for tutoring, hiring a tutor or...repeating the class... there's a website that can be very helpful. It won't bring up the grade that's already there, but it will help make the next grade that's sent home a little better and will also help solidify the knowledge that should have been gained... it can also help them get a little "ahead" for the over-achievers.

Khan Academy

As an educator, I can attest to it's value. It's one of the best I've seen and it's absolutely free. I suggest it to my students often, both the High School level and University level. It can even be useful for parents so they can help their child with homework with confidence as well as others who just want to "brush up" on things or even learn new things.

I cannot give enough praise to what can be gained here and encourage anyone who wishes to "Deny Ignorance" to use this site to build/reinforce their own knowledge base. Knowledge is something they can never take away.

(well, ok, you can lose your memory with age or amnesia, or they can wipe it given the right environment and the aliens may suck it dry....)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
They also have a pretty nifty free app. Thanks for the info PC.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Thanks for the post OP, I will check it out.

Our 2 are having issues, that stared when my health started going down hill
last fall. Been trying to do what we can to get them back to where they were.
But its been a challenge.

Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Welcome

...and hope things get back on track for you soon Severed

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You take away their Ipod, TV, mini fridge and PC and lock em in a room. When they finally stop crying and get bored enough looking at four walls and their blanket on the floor they will study. Problem fixed.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Great site. I have a friend who is getting her GED, but taking advanced courses for University. I have forwarded it to her.

I also may use it for my daughter. She is way ahead of grade level and is not being challenged enough. It may help there as well.

Thanks so much, I am looking forward to exploring this site.

top topics

join