It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have I Been Quoted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
ATS Mods,
Is there a way to tell if I've been quoted? I participate in a bunch of discussions and, as you must be aware, they can tend to ramble on and go off topic at times. As a result, I don't sift through the detritus for months on end waiting for a good discussion to arise. It would be nice to know if I have been quoted, especially since I like to be able to respond to concerns or challenges folks may have about my posts.
Is there a feature I'm missing? If not, any chance you could modify the subscribed threads area in MyATS to show an asterisk or italics or something to indicate that I've been quoted, or quoted in recent history on a thread?

Thanx,
chaosrain

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Although I'm not a mod, I can assume what they'll tell you...no...

To find anyplace your name has been used on ATS, use the search feature...you can narrow it down by pretty much any means...

[edit on 10/20/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Any thoughts on this possibility/feature request from the mods?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I think EnronOutrunHomerun has covered it.

There is no feature for it and I doubt it's a priority for the future.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have searched through realm of DISC and did not find any direct reference to the feature you would like to have. I understand it, but I think the way the tagging system works, that this kind of cross referencing would put a prohibitive strain on ATS's server capacity (think about all the members who quote all the other members). The other shortcoming is "created" quotes, ones that have been made by copying a brief passage from another site, accompanied by a link, you know, the way it's supposed to be done), or where you want to quote multiple members, and attribute the quotes correctly... it's a cut and paste fest and up to the member doing it to keep things straight (once again, the fine points of BBCode and poster integrity come to forefront). I would suggest visiting more often, using "My ATS" to examine threads you've posted in, and keeping up that way... Most of us use that technique I believe...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Okay. I use MyATS to manage those threads now, but I don't look back at the really old ones to see if life has recently been breathed into them. Just a hazard of the posters world, I guess.

I'll say here, then, that if someone quotes me on an old thread, I'm sorry if I don't respond right away or at all.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Maybe we should have an e-mail function that sends you an e-mail after any reply someone has made to you on any particular thread you've made a post on. You'd have to enable that function of course. But due to the immense amounts of posts and members, and bandwith I doubt that we can afford to do that. Other boards that do have that function have less members and less posts per day.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Maybe we should have an e-mail function that sends you an e-mail after any reply someone has made to you on any particular thread you've made a post on. You'd have to enable that function of course. But due to the immense amounts of posts and members, and bandwith I doubt that we can afford to do that. Other boards that do have that function have less members and less posts per day.

The compelling reason SO gave for not instituting an email advisory system.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The amount of e-mail that would be sent (1 email for each unique participant in each thread with new posts) would instantly classify the "abovetopsecret.com" domain as a potential spammer, based purely on outbound email volume... we don't want that. (when the feature was on, and we were half as busy as we are now, we were sending over 20,000 emails a day)

Taken from a recent DISC thread on this very subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ah yes... I had a feeling it was because of that... Thanks MM

new topics

top topics

join