It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I discovered Hypnosis!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hi folks!

I thought I would share what I am doing these days, how I discovered what has now become my career and some footage from shows to give you all a good

Almost six years ago I tore muscles in my back, from my shoulder blades all the way down to my lower spine, whilst lifting and was injured so badly that I could hardly move, I went to various doctors who offered nothing more than painkillers and anti-inflammatory medicines. I got so bad and was in so much pain I could not actually walk for quite some time.

After a few months I was able to walk again and still was offered nothing but tablets from doctors etc. I decided to read up on relflexology and discovered that the body has pressure points to induce relaxation.

The very day I began reading about them I decided to try out a massage on my future wife at the time, went downstairs and did not say anything and began to press on shoulders, arms, wrists, legs, knees, ankles and finally on her head.
I jokingly said "Sleep" as she looked very relaxed and she went into a deep sleep state. I then tried to speak to her with no response etc and realised that I had accidentally induced a hypnotic state.

I ran upstairs and Googled hypnotic wake up's and woke my partner up from this to her disbelief (where I discovered hypnotic amnesia).

I spent the last years there (over 5 of them) developing my skills for fun at house parties if I was asked, as I am over 90% deaf in both ears due to a childhood illness (mumps and had to teach myself how to lip read) as well as a general hellish upbringing which is a long story but left me with very low confidence.

I got married to my partner last year in August and when on our honeymoon in Turkey, hypnosis popped up in conversation and my wife stated that I could do this well. This led to the group asking me to perform hypnosis in public for the first time. I did not expect it to work however it did with one person, then another came over and before I knew it I had four people doing rather daft and funny things. The whole hotel came over and watched under the assumption this was part of the Hotels entertainment and gave me a round of applause.

After this I decided to try this in my own country (UK) had my first show back in May this year, it sold out and I received a standing ovation at the end of it to my amazement, was the best feeling in the world

I wanted to share some footage with you guys of my last show on Friday 26th, it was a Halloween special and was the hardest show I have ever done, I could not hear as I am deaf and the sense I rely on most (sight) was not available when it came to seeing the audience due to the stage spotlight.

Here is some footage to give you all a laugh and I hope you enjoy!

Feel free to ask any questions or post etc. I still hide that I am deaf as people tend to think you are really dumb when you tell them but hope that maybe someone comes across this with a disablilty or self confidence issue and can see that anything is still possible regardless of what people tell you can or cannot do in your life.

edit on 1-11-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It's nice you found your calling and something you enjoy doing. I didn't really think it worked for a while, but little did I know it does actually work. It's recognized as legit in the field of Psychology.
I have a degree in Psych, btw, that's how I learned it actually worked.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Im interested in hypnosis...id also like to get into doing it as a career...possibly as a therapeutic hypnotist. Have you had training? Or are you self taught?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlackHat
Im interested in hypnosis...id also like to get into doing it as a career...possibly as a therapeutic hypnotist. Have you had training? Or are you self taught?

I am self taught, by that I mean I have developed my own inductions rather than read book, I do not like the idea of following an outdated craft that is filled with over 50 year old's who seem to do nothing but make other people eat onions

There are laws to abide by in my country (hypnotism act).

However there are a lot of voluntary organisation's that offer training. The keyword here is voluntary as in my country (UK) a lot of these companies pass themselves off as must have training qualifications when this is simply not the case. As long as you have insurance and a councils permission in my country, you can hold an event with hypnosis

It is also worth mentioning that it sounds like you want to do Hypnotherapy which is different from Hypnosis in the sense that you are actually changing a persons mind about something be it pain or addiction etc.

It really depends on where you are from, which laws, insurances or licenses apply

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I wish you all the best in your pursuit.

I am also self taught, and have used self hypnosis for years. I've always been more interested in hypnotherapy than in stage hypnosis, but I enjoy watching the shows anyway. You seem to be very good at it, and a good showman.

Do you look for somnambulists among the audience?
How many did you go through to find the few you had on stage?

Almost forgot. Are you still using hypnosis for pain control?
edit on 11/1/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I wish you all the best in your pursuit.

I am also self taught, and have used self hypnosis for years. I've always been more interested in hypnotherapy than in stage hypnosis, but I enjoy watching the shows anyway. You seem to be very good at it, and a good showman.

Do you look for somnambulists among the audience?
How many did you go through to find the few you had on stage?

Almost forgot. Are you still using hypnosis for pain control?
edit on 11/1/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

Thanks!

I start with a pre-talk about hypnosis, I then ask people to come on the stage as it is illegal in the UK to hypnotise people in their seats, yet virtually all of the old school guys do it anyway as the public is ignorant of laws. For this show I had 9 on stage and out of that I managed to induce 7 of them, I used a combination of magnetic hand inductions and a few rapid inductions.

I had a short break as the show went way beyond the two hours due to the spotlight making me unable to see the clock I was using to time the sketches, kinda went with the flow on it

During the break a member of the audience came over to say the show was great etc. I could not hear them or lip read then them due to the light, I asked them on stage and performed a rapid eye induction as I all I thought I saw them say was that they wish they had volunteered, I even messed up the numbers a little but it really does not matter what you say, it is more about how you make people feel...

Yeah I am still helping others but keep that side quiet and I do it free of charge as well because I personally think it is a bit sad to charge for illnesses but I do want to focus on the comedy aspect for now.

I absolutely hate books about hypnosis as they are all fixated in the past and claim everything must be precise based on the writers words etc. I make my own stuff up and follow nobody else, especially in a world that told me this cannot be done etc.

I am a bit confused about what you mean by somnambulists?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Here is another short sketch from the show...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

A lot of hypnotists will look for those among the volunteers they can get into a very deep "sleepwalking" or delta like state, because they are highly suggestible at that point. They say these are the easiest and most fun to work with onstage.

I was trying to find a certain link about Somnambulism, but this one will have to do. Somnambulism

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

This is the sort of thing I am speaking about in a way. Its paragraphs long, makes out it must be followed word for word and in the end its nothing but an opinion really that worked for someone else at one point. That is my opinion on it though

It takes me 5 mins to find and hypnotise my volunteers for a show can be longer at times when waiting on people to come up. I also use a technique that the books all say is impossible for a show when it comes to inductions which only furthers my own belief in the disbelief of books and teachings.

I do not know what else to say on it, in a sense other than, If I followed books and other teachings, id still be sitting in a room thinking I was not good enough to be on stage!

I go with my gut feelings and do what it tells me at shows, as simple as that. I have back ups in case I do not get a feeling as such. The back ups are all rapid inductions like the eye thing I linked above, can do arms, confusional speaking, handshakes, mirroring body language, tug of war inductions and making someone fall into your arms etc.

If I could offer anyone any advice on it, just go with the flow if you know your own inductions and enjoy it, as long as you are abiding by the laws that exist in your country and enjoying yourself it will be great!

Too me, it really does not matter what you do, anything can work, even if the person is against it working, you either mirror what they do if they are defensive or surprise them in some way they least expect. Ive even done the, whats that on your t-shirt, they look down and you flip your finger up to there nose and say "sleep". Anything works, you just pay attention to what the person is doing and ignore the disbelief within your own mind as it will always scream, this will not work.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I do not have the ..shall we say...the confidence...to pull these instant inductions on people..I know hypnosis is a real thing...but having the nerve to actually try it out on people is something else...I am really struggling to get my head around what made you realize you could do this...

i mean its one thing doing it on a girlfriend...who may be very suggestible anyhow..and a completely different thing attempting this on people you don't know....or a group of strangers.

also Id like to know your opinion on hypnotising people into doing something they normally would never do...as in a Manchurian candidate.
its my belief that this is not just possible but just as easy as another hypnotic suggestion...yet the mainstream all say that this is impossible.

Like I say...its my belief this is quite likely that Manchurian candidates are real...and have been used repeatedly for assassinations and god knows what else...whats your take on this? By the way..not that im planning to use this technique haha...but I am sure the continual denials about it being "impossible" are a complete lie.

In a nut shell...how dangerous do you think hypnosis potentially is?

edit on 2-11-2012 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

i mean its one thing doing it on a girlfriend...who may be very suggestible anyhow..and a completely different thing attempting this on people you don't know....or a group of strangers.

Family and friends are harder to hypnotise as usually they cannot see you as a hypnotist. If it works with those closest to you. I guarantee it will work with strangers if you can overcome your own nerves. This is something I did not know at first, ignorance with some things can help in a sense.

also Id like to know your opinion on hypnotising people into doing something they normally would never do...as in a Manchurian candidate.
its my belief that this is not just possible but just as easy as another hypnotic suggestion...yet the mainstream all say that this is impossible.

I believe this is possible and fascinating however using techniques for stage hypnosis would not work. I wrote a thread that touched the subject, its in my signature if it interests you. I do not want to re-type it all on here in a general chit-chat thread.

edit on 2-11-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

You sound like you know your stuff man...Ill check out your other threads.
I know its a bit off topic...but I believe everyone is in a hypnotic state all the time...its tied to our sense of being "individuals" and this trance state is reinforced continually by the modern world, by materialism and consumerism.
It also relates to the term sheeple..and how easily manipulated most of the population are.
for instance the widespread acceptance of Facebook...a method for giving away your privacy for free...only hypnotic induction could account for rational people making such an irrational choice.
So yes i absoultley see people are continually taking on suggestions and acting on these commands.
And people wonder how Hitler managed to brainwash all of Germany.
Every country does it all the time..just not to the same ends.
I have been aware of this for a few years..

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

I know its a bit off topic...but I believe everyone is in a hypnotic state all the time...its tied to our sense of being "individuals" and this trance state is reinforced continually by the modern world, by materialism and consumerism.

Spot on with that post!

Yet most people get the guard up when this is suggested instead of having it up against the real threats of manipulation that bombard us daily.

edit on 2-11-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

top topics

join